Page 6358 of 6370 FirstFirst ... 53585858625863086348635663576358635963606368 ... LastLast
Results 63,571 to 63,580 of 63698

Thread: How'd it go today?

That sucks. The rest of the trail was engineered on paper, and in the field. Nobody told me how to do it. I ripped it down the length free-hand, then realized 'that's not very good traction'. Went back and cross-hatched it. I imagine I should have kerfed the snot out of it, 1" dead, then busted off the tops with a pulaski. Rode fine, without cross-slope.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

Patron saint of bore-cutters Sponsor stig's Avatar

Burnham, in my book, that REALLY sucks.
    Not standing up for your employees......................................... ....what the hell?
    Deyr fÚ,
    deyja frŠndr,
    deyr sjalfr it sama,
    ek veit einn,
    at aldrei deyr:
    dˇmr um dau­an hvern.

California Hillbilly Sponsor CurSedVoyce's Avatar

My fun today and a couple more. Have to haul the wood out.
    5 over and in between sheds. Plumbing, fence. And one lone tree.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190513_094357.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	220.2 KB 
ID:	93870Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190513_094403.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	479.8 KB 
ID:	93871Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190513_094426.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	201.7 KB 
ID:	93872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190513_094417.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	93873
    Lunch break.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190513_132422.jpg   20190513_132435.jpg  
    Interesting how a limited gene pool and a limited labor force seem to be so closely related.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Easy-peasy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stig View Post
    Burnham, in my book, that REALLY sucks.
    Not standing up for your employees......................................... ....what the hell?
    No argument, brother.

People like me, who put untold and largely uncompensated effort into peer safety training and certifications imo ought not have to fear a lawsuit...but if we did a shitty job, and a student got hurt of worse because of our mistakes...maybe we should be held liable. I dunno...I know of one climbing instructor whose cert. to instruct was pulled due to lax attention to the established USFS standards, out of more than a hundred and eighty certified instructors that I worked with over those many years. I motioned for and then voted that unprecedented removal, btw.

But folks just doing their jobs as directed, like Sean described...that should be fully protected by the employer, in this case the US government. And for the most part, it is still that way. I may have overemphasized the rare situation in my earlier post.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

California Hillbilly Sponsor CurSedVoyce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
    Easy-peasy!!!
    Indeed
    Interesting how a limited gene pool and a limited labor force seem to be so closely related.

Nice work!

Patron saint of bore-cutters Sponsor stig's Avatar

I went out to an old client today, to look at a small spruce that a storm had knocked sideways.
    I've done trees for him for at least 20 years, my old mentor passed him on to me when he got too old to climb.

This guy is retired and has a wife with multiple sclerosis.
    He spends most of his time taking care of her.
    The county would do it for him, that is why we pay taxes, but he does it himself.

I totally surprised myself by telling him that I'd do it for free, since I've had so much work and referrals from him over the years.
    Deyr fÚ,
    deyja frŠndr,
    deyr sjalfr it sama,
    ek veit einn,
    at aldrei deyr:
    dˇmr um dau­an hvern.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnham View Post

But folks just doing their jobs as directed, like Sean described...that should be fully protected by the employer, in this case the US government. And for the most part, it is still that way. I may have overemphasized the rare situation in my earlier post.

An important part of Covering Your Ass is staying within the lines. That's if you have a f-up and make an insurance claim, so as not to get accused of 'Negligence', and asking for protection from an employer. I have seen several F-ups in a previous career. Could have meant jail time for the employees. Strange situation in a much stranger job...wilderness therapy with adjudicated youth.

I did some research, and came up with the trail name and some mountain biking footage from YouTube...don't remember if I posted it. Corral Trail in South Lake Tahoe, California (possibly Nevada). Still in action, 15 years later.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

Quote Originally Posted by stig View Post
    I went out to an old client today, to look at a small spruce that a storm had knocked sideways.
    I've done trees for him for at least 20 years, my old mentor passed him on to me when he got too old to climb.

This guy is retired and has a wife with multiple sclerosis.
    He spends most of his time taking care of her.
    The county would do it for him, that is why we pay taxes, but he does it himself.

I totally surprised myself by telling him that I'd do it for free, since I've had so much work and referrals from him over the years.
    Mighty fine gesture Stig. Always nice to throw a bone to your good customers.