How'd it go today?

The boss is adding a second crew dedicated to Cleveland for one of our contracts and is looking at buying an old firehouse as a second shop

Does ol money bags give any thought to buying a crane after you went to the crane seminar and you guys are into volume production?

Sorry about the truck mang!

We had a tight ash day. Took one down and took off the hazards over the patio on the other. Same size. less a leader. hour drive from me for a good client. almost sea level.

Attachments

• 20190121_130942.jpg
    20190121_130942.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 20190121_131004.jpg
    20190121_131004.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 44
  • 20190121_131013.jpg
    20190121_131013.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20190121_154425.jpg
    20190121_154425.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 20190121_154437.jpg
    20190121_154437.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 44
Thanks B. And the neighbors were real nice about it. Tree was in decline and 1/2 dead. They expressed relief and happiness nothing got smacked. :D
Kudos to the boys on the ground too.. 100 foot drag through 2 gates down the 5-6' wide side of the house with 3 bay windows in it. Chipped all the brush.

Nicely done. Almost looks like a job I would be doing. All I see is dead pine out your way. Almost forgot California has other species.
Akron, hmmm. I can take a guess of who’s truck it was. Sucks about the drive shaft. Take a pic of the truck when you get time please. I always like a gratuitous equipment pic.

Cory a crane has been discussed but he seems to keep putting it on the back burner. It seems that a crane or kaboom didn’t make the budget yet. Working towards it though. I’m prolly taking a road trip with the mechanic in the next week or so to pick up another chip truck or two. New chipper to demo this morning. Still haven’t heard when the spiderlift demo is. And some monstrosity Rayco stump grinder is being delivered this week.

More firefighting, was deployed up at the big fire on the central plateau...it's bad. Spotting across the lake now.
Today was a total fire ban, I finished work by 11, was at a flare up at 1, fire from yesterday that was out, popped up again, same little fire has done it twice.
Thurs and Fri also total fire ban, baaad weather for fires on Fri

Heard that centurion is under threat from the fires. Got a email saying that no more leave is being processed at work unless their is a genuine reason due to being short staffed. Not good with fires in tas and the snowy area. On call for potential deployment for basecamp.

I’ll get some tomorrow morning. Forgot my phone and wallet today. No TH at lunch and that’s about the time I ran out of chew also. Been a rough afternoon. Well the Carlton chipper ain’t looking promising. I was told to run it for one more day like it’s going to wake up tomorrow and kick some ass. It’s a demo unit with 500 hours. Auto feed is broken and the bottom feed roller has enough power to turn itself until it meets any resistance. Well it takes some resistance but not a justifiable amount. Gonna take some stuff apart and look at it tomorrow. I’m just not to impressed. Phone call was supposed to made to Rayco to get a demo on a morbark18r and a 20r.

the Carlton chipper just not too impressed..... Phone call was supposed to made to Rayco to get a demo on a morbark18r and a 20r.

Quit messing around!!! Get a real Machine!

18r Im sure is a beast, but I'm sure you guys would get every bit of use out of a 20r

rode some frozen mud today .....was nice. A bit chilly but I was able to really give my new Fox rear shock a test. One of my favorite downhill sections.......by afternoon it was a mudsling again

Hoping to try them both. I agree the 20 r would be the way to go but I’m not writing the checks. I just give my honest impressions. Hopefully Rayco can step up and have them both there on the same day to do a side by side comparison. Seems all the 18” chippers are right around the 174hp range. I’d like to see 225hp. This is probably an emissions thing. Tier four has different stages to coincide with hp ratings maybe. No DEF below 175 hp?

Frozen mud always kicked my ass when riding quads. Prolly a bit different on a bike though. My knees would never allow it these days.

Akron, hmmm. I can take a guess of who’s truck it was. Sucks about the drive shaft. Take a pic of the truck when you get time please. I always like a gratuitous equipment pic.
I didn't go on the rescue mission, the 2nd climber did since he is mechanically apt and wasn't needed on the job today. A couple other details on the truck: it's a GMC 7500 TopKick with hydraulic brakes, not air brakes. I wasn't able to find the listing on Truck Trader, so I'll just have to wait for actual photos of it. In a way, losing the drive shaft 1/2 way on a hard run at 70+MPH isn't shocking, esp. for a truck of this age (early 2000s) that has probably just bombed around locally for years. So to get it on the highway and open it up for an extended period showed what was ready to let go. Oh well, after this it will be highway ready and we still need to paint & decal it before putting it to serious work.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, did a 2 hackberry takedown today with the chip truck & grapple. A misting rain became a drizzle which then turned to sleet and freezing rain by day's end. Power co. had dropped the lines, made access a breeze (corner parking lot behind a small antique store). Both trucks fit there and in the alley. Picked off limbs & leaders, kept firewood & chipped the brush. Lady at the end of the street took the load of chips, so came home empty (and frozen) at 4:30.

Then the weather got worse. Freezing rain, mixed snow. I tried to go out on date night with the lady, multiple cars were off the highway. Nice short evening out, then safely back. I imagine we'll get some emergency jobs calling up tomorrow! But if we do work, it'll be miserable conditions.

So another trucker decided to back through my 14' high line of arborvitae again this morning...figured I shouldn't be the only one pissed off, so we had a talk...:X

That'd really get you going, hope you can salvage them.

There's some lousy truck drivers around. I had some roof repairs done a few months ago, I wasn't home and instead of putting the stuff in the driveway like I said he drove up over the footpath and over the telecommunication box. Somewhere around $10,000 to fix.

Two trucks, excavator, five men, two days. If he still has a job it'd be amazing.

I think I might save the one he bent. another I just heard a small crack from, but it's still in completely in place.

The last guy totally wiped out 8 of them...think we're going to court over that one.

Poor place has taken a beating from idiots this year...front hedge got swiped by a car too...

I can see that happening fairly easily.

But how the hell do you miss seeing a 14' high wall of trees running along the drivers side of the truck?!

:thumbup:

The guy today though was dealing with ice on a slope and just trying to pull out. Ended up getting another truck to pull him to the road...had a heavy load on.

So another trucker decided to back through my 14' high line of arborvitae again this morning...figured I shouldn't be the only one pissed off, so we had a talk...:X

My customer got $8000 from her cedar being irreparably damaged by a moving truck. Insurance?

Plus $2500 removal cost.

Arborvitae are often a privacy screen that adds value to them as plants, as they are prominent and functional for the property. They were damaged by the motor vehicle accident, same as if they ran through a garage with their truck. Payment for was for loss of value and removal. With the $6500+ difference between the insurance offer and settlement, she had a fancy, professional carving made for the stump, and may be taking the family on vacation.

Back