O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

I bought a 372 in 2000, and a 365 in 2001. They both cured me of any affection I had for Huskies....Both had issues from the get-go. Nothing major, but enough to sway me to go all Stihl.

We use Stihl for climbing saws, power pruner, and blower. We have Husqy ground saws and haven't had any down time or issues with them in a year and a half of heavy use. As for holy wars, I'm not in a particular religion (Stihl vs. Husqy). A tool is a tool -- I'll use whatever you hand me. I have both DeWalt and Milwaukee tools -- whichever of the particular tool is the better one. I also have Harbor Freight stuff for the little-used oddball stuff, but their Pittsburgh socket and wrench set has been a mainstay on the crew, does us just fine.

Hmm. I'm skeptical about those things. Seems like an expensive gimmick but I'm not enough of a wrench head to know for sure. What's your goal? More horsepower, better mileage, more torque...?

Awesome purchases going on out there!
Cranes, buckets, silky shipment.

Me? I bought a bag at the surplus store for rigging rope.

FL is flat as a pancake, what do you need more power for?

There's hills around Gainesville. And of course, Mt. Trashmore is the highest point in Florida!
In Florida, the highest lands are nearly all located in the Panhandle, especially the western part of the Panhandle which also includes Florida's highest point of Britton Hill with an elevation of 345 ft or 105 m.

I always thought squeezing more power by a chip usually leads to reduced life expectancy...? Isn't that why many fleet vehicles are chipped to derate them?

Depends on how high you go, and how stupid you are. Some tunes don't just give you more power, they can also change transmission settings to give better performance.

I always thought squeezing more power by a chip usually leads to reduced life expectancy...? Isn't that why many fleet vehicles are chipped to derate them?

Probably like work saws and race saws over stock.

Woods ported saws run cooler, longer, harder, iirc.

Race saws, twice as bright, half as long.

Plus there are usually more things to add to the truck like new exhaust to help keep EGT's lower, bigger u-joints, stronger trannys, and such. I am not so sure whats needed with a medium duty but you'll have to upgrade something.

Or potentially not if you stay mild. Certainly in a normal pickup a mild tune can be run safely with no major modifications. Atleast in fords for certain. No need for different u's or trannys and exhaust mods can help lower egts on stock trucks too. Each motor/truck is different but in the Ford world a mild tune I'd say is considered safe and beneficial with minimum to no other 'mods'.

Besides. Stock is sooooo boring.

No. Smooth is safe, smooth is fast. At least that's what I tell my groundman when he's fighting a limb or log.

Slow is just slow.

A mild chip should be ok. Just don?t do like my B-I-L and make it put out three times the factory horsepower and wonder why the whole top comes off the engine. What?s that chip gonna take you up to HP wise Brian?

I think it is around 30-50hp added, torque increase is double that. On a 30K lb truck you don't want to go too crazy because you can start breaking drivetrain components. The newer pickups can get away with 800-1000hp because it is all computer regulated and you never get the hard hit of all that power coming on at once.

Tag on the engine says it is factory rated at 255hp, 660 torque. Tune should put me about 300hp, 750 torque.

My little bucket truck with the tuned Duramax is a monster! I run the towing tune which is about 60hp and 120 torque, it will spin the tires when I'm pulling the trailer.

Back