O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

I'll be rigging it out labor day, pics to follow. Gonna run a bathtub for a bit (normal pickup bed).

It's new or nearly so. That style has only been out two years. So 17 or 18 model year. 19's aren't quite out yet here. Soon though I imagine. Boxed frame, aluminum body sweet trucks!

2017, with less than 300 miles. Lariat package, nicest thing I've ever owned. I'm the first owner it's been sitting on a dealer lot, and just never sold. Very deeply discounted so i took at stab at her, rides so damn smooth it's nuts. Since I'm working so much, and will be working way far from home, and now have kids to think about, just getting new became more and more sensible. I basically just don't have the time to wrench on a truck when I'm driving close to 1000 miles a week, and working 60 hours in 5 days lol. I was gonna my 96 f250, but would be at or above what it can carry, now that's not even a concern. Hope to get a large fifth wheel for the family to come with me, so now I'll be able to pull that too, with the rig on the back too. Seems like every pipeliner has a brand new truck, and after weighing all of the options, i can see why lol

I did stupidly mention that i was gonna put a different bed on it, so they explicitly told me not to do that lol. Oh well, I'll have to look into that :/:

Enjoy man. Working that much and driving that much you'll get a lot of return from that investment I bet. I'll be interested to hear your take on the new rig once you've put some miles on it. :thumbup:

Sounds like you deserve to treat yourself to a good vehicle with all that driving.

I hope it makes the commute a bit easier.

I'm gonna build a skid for the bed to get started, then a custom bed after i get it payed down a bit... i actually like the idea of aluminium body panels, rust is the eventual death to many of my old Ford's. 100k bumper to bumper warranty, so that's really what I'm paying for. Thx everyone, this is either the smartest thing I've done in awhile or the dumbest :lol:

Butch, i think that was part of it, the other was how it would be harder to repo if needed lol. It might be construed as intentionally modifying, kinda like a delete or tuner mod. We'll see how long i can stand working out of it, that'll be the big question.

You're gonna love it! My (new to me) 2012 GMC Sierra is light years beyond the 1995 Dodge Ram I drove until 5 months ago. I can't believe I actually have a key fob, backup camera and remote start. It is a smart truck and it is 6 years old...can't imagine how cool the 2018's are now.

I installed an inverter in the truck and can run 120VAC in the truck or back to my trailer. I can run my air compressor in the trailer...or lights or a fan when hot...AC power is nice to have.

Of course, I guess you are used to that with your welder type setups. I'll be waiting to see how you get it tricked out. Cool beans, Kyle!

Actually the welder I'm using only has 3k of 120 v dc... which is fine because all it will run are grinders. A pipeline rig is only used for welding, most people won't even allow company tools or parts on them at all, and doing so will usually result in whatever you placed on the welders rig to be thrown as far as possible hahahaha. I was thinking of a small Honda generator for a microwave or pump if needed, or grinding tasks where I'm not welding, or maybe a fan lol. I'm one of the very laid back ones :D

You GOTTA have a fan!!!:lol: Patton high velocity...

mqdefault.jpg

Nice. You’re right about the pipe liners driving new trucks. Even in the pipe yard my uncle works at, they all drive brand new. Except for him. He’s sticking with his old half ton two wheel drive. Two years from retirement and pulling 6 figures.

Thx all, the wife is loving it atm, as are the kids because they can see so much more from their car seats :D. The dealer is doing the film thing this week, part of the sale. I'll get some pics once i get everything in her this weekend, it will definitely be a work in progress. I just need to get it functional at first, then fine tune it with a more functional skid. The big challenge will be how to run a regular bed and still be able to pull a fifth wheel... like i said, working out of a pickup bed sucks. Accomplishing this while working so much and spending time with the family on the weekends will also be a struggle, but pretty much part of the joy lol.

Back