O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

I ordered some more of that wonderful RQ3 figure 8 that Burnham turned me on to.
They do wear out and since shipping is about the same, whether it is one or three items in that weight class, I figured I might as well get one for each of the crew. P1000403.JPG

Locking off and slowing your rate of descend. If you rappel on a single line, you can sometimes get tdown too fast on a regular figure8
with these you can just take a turn aruond one or both the horns.
Works like a Petzl Piranha, but is cheaper, easier to set on the line and doesn't wear out as fast.

Burnham recommended them for our Sequoia/redwood climb, because on those long rappels one can loose control and go down too fast.

Got a box from Bailey's today. Nothing at all exciting. Three files, a clicker counter and a Spencer refill. The 394 handle is backordered 'til 6/30. Anybody have any pointers on restuffing the Spencer tape?

The front half-wrap. I'll just TIG it, but every time I have a time to do it, it gets windy and starts raining. I have to bring the TIG over from the shed and set it up outside. I didn't see one on Chainsawr, but I think it's more productive to probably just email or call them.

I successfully re-stuffed the Spencer tape. I was getting really tired of trying to measure logs with a regular tape measure. Just have to find the Bailey nail that goes with it. It's around here somewhere. Neat contraption.

I successfully re-stuffed the Spencer tape. I was getting really tired of trying to measure logs with a regular tape measure. Just have to find the Bailey nail that goes with it. It's around here somewhere. Neat contraption.

Sorry I missed your post asking for tips...I might have been able to save you a bit of time/effort, but it's not rocket surgery and I'm sure you worked it out with little trouble.

Big spender today. I bought this so I could get the excess buildup of sawdust out of my bucket without having to go through the process of dumping it or having to dive down head first to dig out a handful at a time.

Rubbermaid%C2%AE-Commercial-Lobby-Pro-Upright-Dust-Pan.jpg

It's quicker to drill a 2" hole in the middle and sweep it through.....:lol:

Good idea actually. I haven't used mine in so long there were seedlings growing in it last summer.:/:

I worked on a job a week ago with one of those things. I had forgotten how awesome they are. Between me cutting and the machine operator moving logs & branches, we cut, stacked logs, and chipped brush from 17 trees (all Doug Fir approx 18-36" DBH) in 3 hours. If I had been doing that by myself like usual, it would have taken 2 days. And the best part was, the grapple didn't complain, show up late or drunk, or any of the other problems I would normally expect from the 3 groundies it replaced that day.

Non tree related OCGD, I went to the bike store yesterday, then again today. buh bye money! lol.

Back