The Official Work Pictures Thread

As a side note, afaik, gasoline engines are largely replacing diesels in all hand fed chippers, due to emissions regs. I think I heard Bandit is selling 70-80% gas chippers currently

It’s happening here Cory, the 6 inch chippers of a couple of manufacturers have the option of the 35hp Briggs & Stratton that Rayco put in my grinder.

As you say, all about emissions.

Do you think it will change completely?

I can't say I have used many Petrol powered chippers apart from small timber wolfs and a couple of Camons. But they were gash.

I hear decent reports of the new petrol Forst 6". But again it is only 6 inch. I wonder what the big chippers will be like. I can imagine juicy as hell on fuel.

I think only the bigger chippers will be diesel, at least that’s what some manufacturers are thinking. Or at least they’re preparing for legislation to that effect.

The new petrol ones look ok for the domestic stuff, certainly keep up with a non turbo version of our chipper (st6) from what I’ve seen. They say economy is comparable. I dunno.

I see a lot of peeps in vids lining up brush to chip at the end. That does my head in!

Anyway, I’ll probably be retired or close to it by then.

IMO it depends on the job. Some jobs chip as you go and others line it up. I look at it as a fuel conservancy issue, you can have the chipper chipping then idling in cycles or keep it revved up for twenty minutes and make it all go away with the mini. Like yesterdays gig big steep hill had to winch it all up hill in bundles, every two bundles got stacked and ran to the chipper where they were staged until we had six big bundles lined up and then chipped. The chipper ran maybe fifteen minutes in six hours on site as opposed to all 5.45 hours idling burning diesel. Just saying it depends.

Anyone ever seen Euro chipper imported to the states? Feel like it might be tricky to do, but they look like great machines

More rigging than a 3 card monte game

Bur Oak 18" leader (30' long) snapped in the recent storm, hung up on its twin neighbor tree. Very upscale neighborhood, lots of trinkets, ornamentals, and plantings in the back yard (include a fancified shed). Customer wanted it done before the weekend due to a Saturday birthday party scheduled. So let the rigging begin! Two tie-in points, one in each tree, GRCS on the other tree, block and lowering rope in each tree. Climbed, tied it off on the break and the head, set the rigging, lowering ropes. Wound up using just about every rope we have (2 climbing lines, 2 bull ropes, 2 lowering lines, 2 tag lines). Got it to the ground, chopped in smallish pieces to get it out the narrow path & gate access. Safely executed, with enough time to do an American Elm pruning afterwards.

After this, we're definitely going to add a "Rigging" section to our web site, as we don't know if anyone else in town could handle this kind of work. The only competing estimate the customer got was from another decent company, but the bid was much higher so it was definitely a, "We don't want to do this" nudge in our direction.

P1320306.jpg
P1320312.jpg
P1320334.jpg
P1320354.jpg
P1320338.jpg
P1320366.jpg
P1320370.jpg
P1320378.jpg
P1320416.jpg
P1320486.jpg
P1320519.jpg
P1320525.jpg

Intricate work with big weights...good show.

On our Sena's we put the universal mike on the helmet brim...taped there, just above the forehead. It picks up fine, keeps the boom (like your climber has) out of your face. That may not bother you but it would me...also seems vulnerable to breakage...just an idea.

On our Sena's we put the universal mike on the helmet brim...taped there, just above the forehead. It picks up fine, keeps the boom (like your climber has) out of your face. That may not bother you but it would me...also seems vulnerable to breakage...just an idea.
Thanks! Good idea. It's more vulnerable to sweat at this point. On muggy days like yesterday, the accumulation of sweat made the mic so muffled we could scarcely hear him by the end of the day. At least it started misbehaving on the 2nd pruning job, not on the more critical rigging job.

This is how ours are mounted...they pickup better than I expected.:

Attachments

• Sena  (3)resized.jpg
    Sena (3)resized.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Sena  (5)resized.jpg
    Sena (5)resized.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 37
The boom mic has a nub to be able to feel that the microphone is oriented to your mouth (unidirectional mic, IIRC). I wonder about that brim mounting by comparison. I hear that it works up there, but comparing and contrasting would help.

I always have a much harder time hearing if they mic is not oriented properly, and kept near the mouth. I use the volume on high, with ear plugs, unless I'm on the phone, or I'm not using power equipment.

Here are a couple of shots of the base of the poinciana, someone asked if there was a crack...no, a deep fold but well braced above by a natural 'gusset'

Attachments

• IMG_20180608_091332.jpg
    IMG_20180608_091332.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20180608_091411.jpg
    IMG_20180608_091411.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 37
Fi, is that rope or rope lighting around that tree?
The button mics pick up a lot more of the background noise. And Sean I agree that the boom mics need to be properly oriented. I can tell when the guy at the chipper has a cig in his mouth because he needs to push it out to keep from melting the wind condom.

I'll chime in about the orientation thing too. There's a triangle if I'm remembering correctly to designate sides. Have it flipped the wrong way and they don't work worth a damn.

Thanks for those pics Fi. I was wondering about the base. still amazes me that it stands fast in the face of hurricane winds. Looks like quite the estate. I'm guessing you don't need to lock the truck while working there. Lol.

Back