The Official Work Pictures Thread

It's ok on slopes, better than the Kubota anyway.

Tomorrow we're using the fixed grab and the flail mower to clear some bramble and stuff.

Rico, that's my hired man, my beard is considerably less impressive.

Last couple of days have been glorious. Late twenties with a light breeze.

Knocked over a few trees for one of the parents at school. We took the trees from a neighbouring lot as it is abandoned and they were worried about the size and the views to the Fjord. All chipped back into the woodland with the Forst.

Then today contract climbing for a regular at a rather substantial property in Oslo. The guy own a worldwide fleet of freighter ships. Some pretty cool trees and a sweet property.

We deadwooded a number of trees. One of the largest being an Ash. Sorry, I forgot the before picture. The after picture looked nice though. SRT tactic.

2e7878b8db0cf9fb97993243fbe1d422.jpg

28722a256b45b19e076a9b663054a0f3.jpg

158c1b7b5f7e4d7229e412da844c91af.jpg

Rich

It's ok on slopes, better than the Kubota anyway.

Tomorrow we're using the fixed grab and the flail mower to clear some bramble and stuff.

Rico, that's my hired man, my beard is considerably less impressive.

Surprising to me you find it more stable than the tractor, but that's a good thing. Are the tires loaded with ballast on your tractor or the machine?

Some peepee trees, let's keep the post count going
The last one is taken from downhill, the tree is taller than it looks...

Attachments

• IMG_20180604_151936.jpg
    IMG_20180604_151936.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20180606_105353.jpg
    IMG_20180606_105353.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20180606_105527.jpg
    IMG_20180606_105527.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 33
Poinciana, old and exposed gets beaten up regularly by hurricanes. It never ceases to amaze me what some trees will manage year after year.

It's a crazy looking tree. Almost looks like it has a split potentially near the bottom? Or just twisted tight on itself?

Cool pic.

It's hard to imagine that standing through hurricanes. :O

Poinciana are twisty by nature, and wrinkly and bendy, I'll take some closer shots tomorrow.
Generally the small branches and twigs shed off in a storm and the bigger stuff survives. With this tree, I'm knocking out dead branches and tons of dead twigs, they watersprout like mad after a storm and if another blow comes along then those ones die, then more grow, then winter comes so it goes dormant, then spring comes it sprouts then we get a spring blow and those ones die back about halfway, then if we get enough rain they flower and grow some leaves, then we get ready for a hurricane and the shmozzle starts all over again!

Mik, if you stagger the mats in your picture instead of having them directly side by side of each other, you'll get a smoother ride and probably a tad easier on everything.

Or even better - don't leave any grass showing.

I never put a space between plywood, unless I knew that particular spot was solid.

Last couple of days have been glorious. Late twenties with a light breeze.

Knocked over a few trees for one of the parents at school. We took the trees from a neighbouring lot as it is abandoned and they were worried about the size and the views to the Fjord. All chipped back into the woodland with the Forst.

Rich

Rich what size wood does that chipper comfortably chip? Engine? Fairly accurate weight of machine?

I want to keep one light chipper for taking into hard to get to spots. Euro machines sure look like they fit the bill for that.

I need to get my MS660 rebuilt, and a bigger bar.
My hauler was back from a trip, so I felled this stub and he took two loads to town in total from the tree, under 2000 board feet, probably.

Was supposed to leave the 5' (the wider way) butt log standing for a wildlife snag about 15' tall, but the HOA changed their mind after looking at it for a bit. $500 to fell the butt log from the ground and haul, rather than pull a log off, from the split at about 15' to complete the previous specs.

My friend/ the hauler just missed the log yard closing up. It was just a chip log, not a good saw log in it. Only about 60 years old. Huge ribs at the inclusion. Cool log. His wife wants it. He'll cut it really flat and square and stand it up at her new cat/ kitten adoption center. It will be for bird houses and a habitat snag. They have a big cedar log stood up in the front yard, already.
That was a fight for him to load, one end at a time. Heavy, you might say.

He's loaded a log or two in his day.

Full gap face. I started to try to humboldt it, starting about 1' up, as that was the stump spec. That wasn't going to happen with a 36" bar. Easier to move up for a gap-face, and cut the rest of the stump.
IMG_20180606_131948966.jpg

IMG_20180606_132005191.jpg

IMG_20180606_160551160.jpg

IMG_20180606_174212128.jpg

I had a laborer stack branches for half a day, and another full day with a laborer. to chip and rake. The rest machines, triggers, levers, ropes/ slings/ biners, some of my own sweat. Couple friends took all the firewood, and are happy campers.

Think I made out pretty decently, dollar wise. Just invoiced it. We'll see what the two loads of logs minus hauling amounts to. Check should come in a couple weeks.

Another crappy picture of some lame PNW conifer work in some lousy setting...
:P

Wait...I might just be a bit wrong on that...;)

This drone pic thing is giving me some ideas...can you imagine drone pictures and vids from some of the backcountry hikes I've posted in the past? Could be addicting, that.

Thats primary why I bought it. Days and weekends out....theres some stunning views and perspectives out there. Although i did try to shoot some treework today. I got the DJI mavic pro. Compact but high quality.
Resized_20171230_152551.jpeg Resized_20171230_152813.jpeg

Rich what size wood does that chipper comfortably chip? Engine? Fairly accurate weight of machine?

I want to keep one light chipper for taking into hard to get to spots. Euro machines sure look like they fit the bill for that.

That is a Forst ST8. Chips up to about 8 inches. Weight is 1270kg and engine is a Kubota. Im not sure of the hp.

Edit: 45hp

http://www.forst-woodchippers.com/prod/st8-wheeled

Back