The Official Work Pictures Thread

Just saw the photo of you wreaking a pine, with a bunch of kids playing in the front yard and neighbors watching you work.
One of my favorite photos around here!

Amazing picture, Greengeer. What is that strap (?) hanging down?

Lucky folks on how that piece lodged up there. Did you spur up that tree or come down from nearby?

I see a base tie...SRT or how you hung a block above?

Was that a codom?

Amazing picture, Greengeer. What is that strap (?) hanging down?

Lucky folks on how that piece lodged up there. Did you spur up that tree or come down from nearby?

I see a base tie...SRT or how you hung a block above?

Was that a codom?

The picture is kinda deceiving. The tree that was struck basically exploded. If I remember correctly it was a condom (we worked there last year). There's another poplar in the forground that I climbed out of and rigged the big lead out of. The strap your seeing I think is the tag line that the guy taking the pic was holding. The tree was around 100' or so and that lead was about 50'. The other lead went into a few peices and landed mostly on the roof but with minor damage considering. We found chunks of wood and bark 100 plus feet away in the woods. I'm sure the homeowners about shit a brick when the lightning struck.

Great pic even if it’s deceiving Greengear.
And that truck is 4x4 except that was disabled because guys would just go further before burying it. I’m arguing constantly to have it fixed. That log will be cut for pallet material. Pin oak just isn’t worth much.

One is gone and the other grinds stumps now. Only got it stuck a few times and the 4x4 would’ve been the ticket. We’re pretty conservative about truck placement. I’ll toss out more plywood before I stick a truck. Life gets miserable quick waiting on the wrecker to pull you out.

If you can't unstick a stuck decently designed and equipped 4x4 by yourself, you have no business driving one in the first place. Blunt truth from an old guy, but one who taught and certified four wheel drive licenses for the USFS for a couple of decades.

I couldn't count the times on all fingers and toes that I had a 4x4 truck stuck, way out in the National Forest back country, all around the PNW, over 30+ decades of field work. But I don't need even a single digit to count the times I had to call for a wrecker or any other outside help to extricate said stuck 4x4 truck.

Conservative placement??? Pfffttt. Better stick to the hard roads, imo.

Pipelining you will get 4x4s stuck all the time, everyone has shackles on the front just for this. If you can't drive there they just hook on with an excavator or dozer and drag you there. I would think that tire chains would help immensely, but it's easier to just let them drag you :lol: I've seen out so bad that the excavators have to drag themselves around, and I've heard stories of excavators hooked to a dozer just to keep them on the hill

On the pipeline the equipment is often pushed to the limit to get it done, and mud doesn't stop work at all. You get in a cornfield, rain for a few days, everything driving in and out churning it up, and unless you got a competition grade mud truck, you are stuck. Add some hills and it's game over. On some jobs they lay out mats for a road, or to cross a dammed up creek, which definitely helps, but one slip and you are even more stuck lol. Last year we even used a skid on one job, basically a welded up pontoon boat made out of pipe and a couple road plates, which was then drug around by an excavator.

Not 15, but quite a few jobs today

Kind of a mix of more storm cleanup and pre-arranged pruning jobs. Hmmm -- the wise & foolish? Some wait till after the storm to do tree work, others are more proactive and have their trees trimmed to prevent failure!

1). Removed a Bradford pear leader and branches off of a roof, broken in last weekend's storm. Headed back 2 other leaders over the roof. 45 min job.

2). Took down a 25' Linden that had blown over in the recent storms. However, it really wasn't blown all the way over, just knocked against a fence, probably at a 15 or 20 degree angle. It could've easily been straightened and some stakes put in to support it, fertilized and watered to nourish it. It hadn't broken at all in the storm, just slightly uprooted. But the owner is selling the house and couldn't be bothered with it, so it was an easy drop-n-chip for us. I attribute the failure to the poor soil of the housing development, plus drought conditions over the past year or so. This makes it the 3rd of 3 trees for this property losing in just over a year, so something is definitely not right there. 15 min job; more stressful backing in the driveway and pulling out, trying to avoid hitting the state trooper SUV parked directly across from the driveway!

3). Pruned a rock elm off the house roof (growing up by their deck) and a white oak (damaged limb from the storm). It was a nice backyard, with the 3 major elms of the area represented: American elm, rock elm, and a "Mongolian" elm. Nice to be able to compare the bark, leaves, and structure directly, right up close.

4). Over to Massachusetts St, the main historic downtown street, so it was a high visibility, high profile job for us. A silver maple had two broken limbs, fallen on the owner's roof. He had rented an aerial lift and bought 2) 300lb test ropes from Home Depot to secure the limb. He did pretty well, ratchet strapping one broken limb to a limb below, then using the 2 lines to tie off the break to another pin oak nearby. But he realized the danger of the situation (1000 lb. limb under a lot of tension) and decided to call in the professionals. We climbed it, tied it off with our lowering rope and tag line, released the tension with some select cuts, then craned it away with our GRCS. Then took care of the cracked limb below it for him, getting that away from his roof as well. He's happy, enjoyed the show and the climber descent (coming soon to MBTV).

P1320133.jpg P1320142.jpg P1320146.jpg P1320155.jpg P1320171.jpg P1320181.jpg P1320201.jpg P1320216.jpg

5). Started a 10-tree pruning job. Autumn Blaze maples, river birch, locust, Bradford pears, Redbud. Should finish it up in the morning first thing. Nice to do some fine pruning for a change (raise crown, crown cleans, deadwood, some safety trimming off their roofline).

Good dramatic pics everyone.

Boring job but keeping the scoreboard ticking over.

Removing previously topped spruce, wet lawn, road plates, grapple.

Net result, on the sofa, snoozing by 2pm. Magic!

Attachments

• 503D5625-9D4E-41B7-A08A-78548FD54E04.jpg
    503D5625-9D4E-41B7-A08A-78548FD54E04.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 33
  • A489C6DF-56F4-4B26-BB8E-B31845858F31.jpg
    A489C6DF-56F4-4B26-BB8E-B31845858F31.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 31
It does have them Sean, but yes in hindsight I?d have them made longer and had a friction device welded on to the top.

Thanks Burnham.

Attachments

• F1BEC8CF-77AD-4A6A-9875-1E5D97759739.jpg
    F1BEC8CF-77AD-4A6A-9875-1E5D97759739.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 30
How are you finding that machine to be on slopes Mick? I know you put a lot of time and research into sussing this machine out for your setup. looks like it's working out great.

Back