The Last APTA

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
Gary Layton ordered an APTA from me almost a year ago it seems while the project was in full swing. Well we had a few in front of him, and we had to scrap a unit, and long story short it all fell on the back burner. I dont know squat about welding and my fabricator who was helping me 'for fun' soon felt like it wasnt fun anymore. When we were having trouble getting the final weld airtight we were losing hope, but it turned out his welder wasnt hot enough or something and he took it to work and got it done.

Gary is the most patient, gracious guy you can ever imagine. I cannot thank him enough for his understanding and good will. I am disappointed it took so long, but am proud of what we finished.

Here it is, 'THE LAST APTA'

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QEWlVXs3bnM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They wont let us use one at Big Green, so believe it or not I dont have one... I have the 'scrapped unit' but its about twice the capacity in terms of cu. inches and weighs close to 50lbs maybe more. It is missing fittings and such too so its pretty much out of order.

I hate to see any business or idea go by the wayside or come to an end. I was tempted to see if you would build one for me Nick (for profit). I wouldn’t be surprised if some day I come to a situation, tree or otherwise, where I say, “If only I had.”

Personally I think each person who owns one of these would also love the results they would get shooting line off a Shotline Winder sold by TreeStuff. Near zero tangles.

There is no 'profit' in "APTA" :lol:

As I am sure you know, the market segment is too small. How much is something like that worth? $500? Cause as someone who isnt fabricating them and isnt making the steel that goes into it thats what I have to charge to double my $ on a unit. $40 to ship the damn thing without packaging or printed instructions.

Insurance? please... I would be better off buying a mini loader and taking it to work today and saying "This is mine, not Big Greens, I will use it to do my share of the work but noone elses."

The point is it just wasnt worth selling them. Chris might make some more as there is a bit of material left but I am not holding my breath. At this point I would keep one for myself and give him one if they were ever completed.

I dont mean to sound grumpy, I am really happy that I did all of it. I learned a lot, had fun, and launched the crap out of some throwballs and some non-throwball type objects :). I am more than happy to share my plans, material lists, and experience with APTA with anyone thats interested in making one.

You can always make a model 85 (the 6' straight pipe mortar style) for around $100. Just as powerful, no welding, drilling, or cutting required. Just a pipe wrench, channel locks, a vise, and a sturdy bench.

Thankyou to everyone that got one, watched the videos, asked questions, etc. I hope to see other people using Air Powered Tree Access someday!

"throwball go byebye" -brian bixler

Hang onto your plans. At this point in life, it isn't taking shape. But you don't know what the future holds and what resources may happen upon you........

Alright Gary! Well worth the wait I'm sure... it's so cool looking! :beer:
Here's a shot at 160psi.
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5EQor0h-KqA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have a welder, I should get off my butt and have a go at making one. Could have used it yesterday, and the day before.

Brians is made out of an old fire extinguisher. Thats more than likely some fire extinguishing media :lol:

As for Gary's, condensation, dust, i dunno.

Just back in town and found out the APTA is finis...cool!!!

That's a great video, Nick. I already feel like a character in an awesome tree-deo-game (interesting way that writes out:/:)

Thanks, Nick, for your perseverance, too. I know it turned into a PITA project...you bulldogged it on through; my compliments to you.

We will enjoy putting it to work...and being one of the few, the elite, the proud, warriors of the trees!!!

(If that thing gets me arrested I am making you, Nick Bonner, my first phone call! :D)

I came home to a fine surprise today. Had a lllooonnnggg day, home at 9pm, whupped, worked thru lunch and supper, hot, tired, etc. My trudging step up the driveway got lighter when I saw the box by the door.

Yep, the APTA was here. Nick, packaging that contraption looks to be tough...but it seems to have traveled just fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0571.jpg
    IMG_0571.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0572.jpg
    IMG_0572.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 43
Yep, that beautiful blue caught my eye, too. What a fine surprise, a splendid job of splicing.

I think that means I can shoot it up into the tree with a throw-line threaded and "voila", instant line set!!!

Or not...I couldn't find the instructions to go with it.:D

We'll start breaking in the APTA in the next few days.

Thanks much, Nick, for persevering and gettin' her done.

Attachments

• IMG_0573.jpg
    IMG_0573.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0575.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 41
I never thought of that, but you can probly hang the big ring on the barrel and shoot right through it :)

Thats a "rediSAVER". The idea is you can use it for light rigging, or as a retrievable redirect. You can set it as the climber, go down to cut and then as long as the big ring is on the downhill, a ground worker can set an overhand knot in the end of the line and when you pull the rope back to you it should retrieve 'up' to the climber.

It can also be set remotely with a throwline like any R/r friction saver and retrieved simply with an overhand knot form in the tree or on the ground.

It is 9500lb rope, so figure 1000lb working load or a 500lb rigged piece max. Just dont do huge negative blocking on it and the bend radius shouldnt be an issue. You could also add a Pinto on a prusik to make it into a rigSAVER or a uSAVER. OR if you want just use it as a climbing friction saver, whatever strikes your fancy.

I am sorry it took so long, I wanted to add a little something so I figured making you something myself was the least I could do. Thanks for being so awesome to work with and so incredibly patient!

hahaha...awesome and incredible...that's me.:lol:

No worries, all good here. Looking forward to moving some air around with it.

Jay, I still owe some footage of the climbing sticks you made for me...haven't forgotten them by a long shot. Still trying to carve out the time to play with them..between work, grandkids, wife and life in general time stays tight.

In my mind, the ideal video would be using the APTA to set a climbing line that was part of working with your climbing sticks while trying out the Onyx harness...three birds with one stone would be the ticket!!

No problem on the sticks, Gary. Being an athlete, I figure that you have your own style of physical activities. If the sticks are useful or merely a point of reference for something that you want to develop for yourself...perhaps something for martial arts? It's all good. :)

Back