Lightning Struck Oak

• Thread starter TreeRhino
  • Start date
  • Replies 4
  • Views 1K
T

TreeRhino

Ok, Guys, need some feedback on a tree I'm involved in. This is an historic tree, Post Oak, that was struck by lightning a few weeks back and has some major damage. the client wishes to save as much of the tree as possible. We installed an LP system, put in a few cables in other parts of the tree and in the offending section, put in two 7/8" brace rods through the split below where the final cut will be and a cable above the crotch to act as a brace there as well. I would like to put cables higher on the remaining leads, but the limb angles would make them useless.

Obviously, my concern is that once I take the top off with a crane, both top and remaining stem will be bound with ratcheting straps, that the tree will fall apart.

Any thoughts? Bring it on , the more info the better. Thanks guys! Picture3.jpg Picture4.jpg Picture2.jpg Picture1.jpg

It took one heck of a jolt. Do you have any pictures of the whole tree and the surrounding infrastructure?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's in a park, surrounded by a fence and some smaller live oaks and red oaks. I'll get some pics of the whole tree later.

Back