Sweet gum cabling advice?

Brock Mayo

TreeHouser
Hi all,
I’ve been lurking around here for a few years now, and finally have a question for you. I know giving advice from a few pictures is not practical, but I’d like to hear people’s thoughts on possible options for this tree. I’ve never done any cabling work, but was thinking this tree might be a good place to start.

https://picasaweb.google.com/brockmayo/SweetGumSelect?authkey=Gv1sRgCOOI5MuEqpXG8wE#slideshow/5817565729783824786

I’m pretty sure all three trees (sweet gum) were toped years ago, but the one in question turned out the worst, though the middle one isn’t too pleasing to the eye either. The other issue I have is squirrels chew on the cambium every year in the same locations. Almost every branch that I’ve had break out in storms has squirrel damage right at the break. They also have sap sucker damage, but it doesn’t seem structural.
I’ve labeled the photos (A-G) to help reference where damage is located. Damage A and F don’t worry me too much, and the co-dominate top at G seems like pretty straight forward cable work. But the damage at B seems quite significant and the combined C,D,E section of the tree seems pretty bad as well. The targets, should the tree fail, are my driveway, garage, and the street (pretty quiet).

So my questions:
Is cabling a viable option? If so, where would you put the cables and or braces? Would bracing the two tops together where the trees are rubbing (E) be good or bad in combination with a cable at 2/3 height? Also, how can I keep the squirrels from eating my trees in the future?
Thanks for your time. Having lurked the tree forums for a few years, the Treehouse comes across as the most civil laid back place to gain knowledge!

Thinking I may not cable. Probably opt for weight reduction pruning but like you say, hard to tell from pics. I will be going through there in a week, could stop in and toss a useless opinion or two around if you like

The one on the end in the first picture, closest to the camera (left) with yhe crossed leads, would be more an R&R option IMO. But, if the HO really wants to keep them that badly........... Too bad people plant trees to close together like that. Poor things really look beat up and uncared for.

If those are like the sweetgums here they are trash trees. They get huge, dump gum balls everywhere (which are like walking on ball bearings) and the tops are prone to break out. I cut them down whenever I can...have taken down 2 large ones at my house, will take down at least 6 more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the replies! Willie, I'd be stoked if you had time to stop by and take a look next week. CurSedVoyce, I am the home owner (mortgage owner), and I would like to keep them if possible. If it's a safety issue, which I think the one on the end is, then I'm okay with removal as a last resort. I agree they are trash trees, but to me a mid-sized (maintainable) trash tree is better than no tree at all, or newly planted trees. This last little storm we had blew a ton of gum balls into the street, it was like driving on a gravel road.

Agree prunung seems a better option. subord one of the G codoms.
bracing where those 2 contact is an interesting idea.
Little old ladies fuss about gumballs. A fine species.
Clean those wounds of dead mtl and staple screen/mesh to dissuade rodents.

Ass over tea kettle ain't good for anybody...easy to roll ankles or fall with those gum balls. I don't like them near where folks have to walk.

Ass over tea kettle ain't good for anybody...easy to roll ankles or fall with those gum balls. I don't like them near where folks have to walk.
familiarity breeds contempt as they say-- sweetgum prized as street trees all over the world, but the species is reviled where they grow best. :?

Roll ankles and fall? :\:

LMAO! Gary u bin lisnin to too many lil ol ladies.

Yeah, call me an A-hole, but if someone can't negotiate 60 feet of sidewalk with gumballs on it, maybe they shouldn’t be outside. I’ll probably get sued tomorrow! :cry:
I like the subordination idea treelooker, makes more sense for the G codoms.
If I put rods at E, do you think the two leads would eventually graft together? They rub enough that I don’t think there’s much bark left between them.
I like the idea with the wire mesh treelooker, but are there any other ways to dissuade squirrels? They tend to come back to the same callus tissue every year, but I’m sure they’ll just start chewing a new section if they are forced to. They’ve terrorized my japanese maple.
Anyone every try coyote urine or some product like that to keep animals out of trees?

In these parts they have a poor reputation during snow events. We get a heavy wet snow when we do get any, that accompanied with the retained spiny balls and sometimes leaves leads to heavy end weight, the branches tend to break about a foot from the trunk. That said, we dont get that kind of snow every year so we still plant them.

If I put rods at E, do you think the two leads would eventually graft together? They rub enough that I don’t think there’s much bark left between them.

Callus can also come out of parenchyma in the sapwood

I like the idea with the wire mesh treelooker, but are there any other ways to dissuade squirrels?

TRAIN TREE-CLIMBING coyotes then. lmao.

even if skwerls chew elsewhere the goal is to mitigate not eliminate.

Anyone every try coyote urine or some product like that to keep animals out of trees?[/QUOTE]

Thanks treelooker, I'm going to put in some wire mesh this winter. As far as "callus coming out of parenchyma in the sapwood" can you explain this a little more? Would this cause them to grow together, or would they just keep pushing each other apart?

Thanks treelooker, I'm going to put in some wire mesh this winter. As far as "callus coming out of parenchyma in the sapwood" can you explain this a little more? Would this cause them to grow together, or would they just keep pushing each other apart?
Together is the hope. Parenchyma are like stem cells so they can graft/weld together. Attached attempt to bust the cambium-are-the only-cells-that-divide myth. View attachment Dendro 1004 Suspicious Specks 195kb.pdf:(

We decided some end weight reduction and some subordination should take care of most of it.

Back