A big tree story

rskybiz

TreeHouser
With any thing in life sometimes you are remembered for something you've done.
I lived in Vermont at the time ten+ years ago and was coming to Florida for my father in laws sake. While here for three months I did the odd job here and there for people I met.
The local saw shop/tree service owner and I got along well he was one of those know everyone and very involved types. I did some climbing jobs for him off and on for a couple of years when I came down for my annual trip with the Fil.
This particular year I came early about mid October.
After getting settled in I went to visit the saw shop. No sooner than through the door and he said I have a personal job for you at my river house. He told me some details and we set it up for a Saturday with him saying he would throw a bbq. The details were something along the lines of a large oak on the corner of the cabin is leaning into another tree. And his current climber didn't want to take it on because if it went wrong that would ruin their relationship.
Showing up I pull into his place and wow must have been 40 people there only three that I knew.
The tree was huge it was uprooting and tipped with the trunk pushing on the stairs which were also pushing the cabin off its pilings. The cabin was 25ft in the air on concrete block pilings.
I fully admit now that this was one where Burnham's signature comes to mind now. And I was still a noob but looking I thought I could pull it off.
Geared up climbed the old girl to where the top was resting in another, only cutting away the parts for visual and assessing where it was hung and how I was going to whittle it down so I could then pull it away from the cabin with a cut from the bottom. All told it was hung by a 6in limb straight through a crotch.
At this point I figured I better secure the trunk with my pull line and pre tension things so when I tried to trip the offending limb it would hopefully not take out the steps and landing.
I did see if with some good pull it would roll out but this proved that the root plate was going to take with it the stairs hmm.
So one thing left to do cut a notch and start a back cut. Becoming my first 660 big bar experience. Cut up to what I considered enough to assist and assure myself it would come off the stump with the winnebago as a pull vehicle. Climbed back up asked for pull while I nibbled at the limb holding it, boom it went perfect.
As soon as it hit the ground the first person on a saw was a 80y.o guy who out worked everyone.
Since that day where I live I have been the big tree man. People still call today and refer to that job and me. It usually starts with are you the guy that does the big trees?
To this day people still say your the guy who did the tree service owners tree that his guys wouldn't do.
This is why I get the big ones I believe;)

All things heavenly rarify to air. Trèès pŕoduce that heavenly air. Breathe air and take care.

Like it!
I'm usually remembered as the guy who made an entrance at a party. Every one turned to see who had arrived, although fortified by a few drinks this spooked me a bit, I spied with relief some friends sitting at a table across a sunken blue marble floor.
So I waved at them and strode over, straight into the pool.

White Crane now and you know you can do the job and you said it yourself you werent as experienced compared to what you are now .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I look back now I see more of what could have gone wrong and would have put more safety systems in place. Peter in thinking about it I could have tied off the top so it wouldn't crash down and used the crane to hold the trunk while cutting mid span reducing many of the potential could have's. But who's to say just glad that wasn't the end of my career as a tree climber

That's what I was wondering, but you would need a crane big enough to hold the entire weight of the tree in the event of complete failure, other wise the crane would go over too.

Of course, if you have a big enough crane you could just take it in one pick.......

I'd probably fell the supporting tree and the partially failed one in one fell swoop. I love a bit of armchair quarterbacking.

That's the coolest part of tree work each one is different and can be done In many different ways.

That's the coolest part of tree work each one is different and can be done In many different ways.
Yup
Joel DA big tree slayer.
I like it has a nice ring to it. Maybe new advitor name??
I always say I rather be lucky then good.and a inch is as good as a mile.
I got a couple of saying. Man I love tree work!!!

Then there's that big tree slayer thing. Sometimes it's a must but in reality I'd rather be pruning for preservation. Such is life.

In the UK, at least in the affluent south east, big takedowns are rare, tree surgeons lurk on every street...
What happens is the client gets a few quotes, there are many guys who spend most of the working week lowering hedges and other easy boring work. They are dying to break the monotony with something a bit challenging. Consequently the price goes down (I have been "that" guy)
As Chris says unless you have serious iron to knock them out really quickly then they become nothing more than a photo opportunity.
Happily it's a little better here in that regard.

Back