Interested in other ideas...

treewhisperer

TreeHouser
Tough estimate today. Clients really want to keep their big spruce in her back yard. Problem: 4 big branches off damaged crotch at 30'. Crotch is split down centre of stem. 3 of 4 big branches need removal, in my opinion, to at least make it safe. Leaving one, to allow the tree to remain a tree, would look very strange. Cabling is not really an option in my opinion. Too much exposure. Recommended total removal. People really do get attached to their trees, wish I could save it for them.

With a situation like that, I have to consider liability... If I help try to save that there tree... what happens when .. And I say When... not if.
I tell the client that ... straight up...
I recommend removal.. That's the plan.. Remove and possibly replace. If they option for saving... they really need to find someone else to accept the liability of that decision.
Most HO's ask my opinion because they are looking to hire an expert. You want pipe dreams...? there are other sources for the HO venue.
I can say .. When I say, "As a tree man, that tree would not be left near my house/structure/target. In fact Mr and Mrs Jones, here is my address, if you drive by my house, you will see plenty of trees, just none that threaten the house, etc.".
They usually listen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's exactly what I told them. I offered up contact info for another company that my give them the answer they want to hear, but at the end of the day, i have to be comfortable that when i leave the site it will be safe for the client and family.

So the split is in the main stem/spar? If so how long is the split? Maybe get some pics to post I am sure you can get many good suggestions ;)

Ya sorry, didn't have cam with me. Ya it's an old injury from lightining and has 4 branches that grew from the stem at that point, obviously years ago. The spilt goes down the stem about 3 feet as far as i could tell, maybe more inside, who knows. If it was my tree it would be gone, lonnnngggg time ago.But it's all good. I will only do a removal on it, ain't gonna play around with that one.

That is very true Steven! It's hard to walk away from a good customer but I bet even harder if someone got hurt. Sounds like Treewhiperer got it right to have a second opnion.

Bolting it not viable? Conifers seem to take that treatment well, IN GENERAL!!

You are the one with eyes on the tree, so it's easy for me to offer an alt perspective :).

A lot of times I will offer them the number of a local Certified Arborist or our buddy Stehanson for a second opinion. It shows an honest approach and that you are not afraid to stand by your decision derived from your expertise and gut feeling.

Ya cabling or bolting were thoughts, but i really think the tree has been exposed too long and really don't think the integrity is there to support bolting or cabling.

I have never had a problem with offering a "difficult" client another option. More than not they call me back to do the job. It shows confidence,honesty and integrity and that i have standards i won't compromise, even if those standards cost the client more money going with me. But in the end, it's usually cheaper in the long run.
I have been hired to do a removal after a client got 2 second opinions from referrals I gave them... Just sayin

Back