"v" notch

• Thread starter discgolfborist
  • Start date
  • Replies 134
  • Views 14K
D

discgolfborist

My buddy limbed & topped out a huge redwood. Instead of flipping his way down he cut a "V" notch in the sides of the top cut; set his life line in the cuts & rappe'd down. Is this a safe technique? Could the rope "roll" out of this notch.

Its not recommended practice. People have been hurt using that technique.

I don't know about running a climb line like that, but I've done butt checks that way. I cut the notch so theres a lip for the rope to ride in on, and when the piece falls I make sure the rope crosses itself. I don't know if its safe its just the way I've been taught, so is it safe?? That is a good question.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
He just notched the 2 edges not across the whole butt.

sorry bad on terms not quite certified yet

I don't know about running a climb line like that, but I've done butt checks that way. I cut the notch so theres a lip for the rope to ride in on, and when the piece falls I make sure the rope crosses itself. I don't know if its safe its just the way I've been taught, so is it safe?? That is a good question.

I read this three times thinking it was about butt cheeks and I'm still not really clear on what you're meaning.

I do it sometimes but always like this, at least a bar width deep. And I'm still cautious with it, only use it for rappelling straight down and usually keep my lanyard around the spar until I'm well below the notch.

Attachments

• notched_spar.jpg
    notched_spar.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 265
I'm a bit too old school to set a friction saver from the ground on every climb-sure there are pruning jobs on fragile barked trees but 95% of the time when pruning I run my ropes on natural crotches.........But I use an adjustable FS a lot for removals. It is perfect for blocking down a spar and just right for exiting a topped out tree. If I forget to take the FS up with me and I'm working alone I almost always have a little pouch of slings on my saddle which will let me sling a 'biner to run my rope on for rapping out.

thanks for the pictures and comment. just what i was looking for. I see you run a full notch. that seems safer than the way my friend did it.

Y'all are coming down DdRT?

I just choke the top with a running bowline and come down on an 8.

That works also....but coming out DdRT is "better" if you need to make a cut or 2 on the way out.

Gord,
Why is the notch off center? I would feel better if it was centered personally.

An adjustable frictionsaver will always be faster than carving the spar into a totempole.
If we're going to pull the spar over, I'll ride my Piranha down the pull rope.
I almost always set a pull rope on a spar, they are a bitch to wedge over. Not enough weight at the top to pull them past the resistance of the hinge.

butcheckfront.jpg

The set up looks like this. There would be an notch centered where the rope runs if this was a real tree trunk, just like a typical butt check, expect with an extra wrap at the bottom so the rope crosses itself to hold it in.

buttcheckrear.jpg

Now on the lower wrap, there would be anouther notch for the rope to ride in.

This is an answer to post #10.

Back