"v" notch

• Thread starter discgolfborist
  • Start date
  • Replies 134
  • Views 14K
The risk of damaging the line is too high. When there are appropriate pull lines just a few feet away, and it only takes a minute haul up and install a bull line, why bother messing up your climbing line?

love
nick

I won't be pulling or allowing anything to impact/drop on my Tachyon anytime soon. The occasional branch, yeah, but not ground penetrating chunks.

I do rap down rigging pull lines often. If they are good enough to pull with they can sure handle my weight. I always look down the rope for bad spots first.

Be aware and use your judgement, that's what climbers do.

I've never done it, and if I did I'd have my lanyard around the stem.

I have tied off/lowered tiny limbs on my line, and repelled once or twice down a rigging line.

A guy named Ken here in Seattle died in 2005 after rapping off a "V notch" and having his rope roll out. Guy was experienced too. Wiley used to work with him. I'd never seen this used until the owner of the first company I worked for used it. I didn't like it then and still don't.

You can tie the bowline on the back side and flip the belly of the line over the top, sometimes notch a valley for the line.
This allows the knot to be on top of the stick when you pull it over.

I never have or never will use my climbline to pull or lower anything.

I know every nick and bur on my line personally, I have bull ropes to destroy.
I'll use a figure 8 to come down on a bull rope.
Stig mentioned using a piranha to rappel down. I can barely use 1/2 line on that tiny thing.
Let alone find a carabeaner to fit in it. do you knoock out that plastic "keeper"?

I have a 1/2 inch safety blue for garbage climbing, sappy wrecks or rain.
Then I have a pretty 7/16ths for rec climbs and arboreal inspections.

I never use my climbing line to pull something over, but I do throw a munter on a pull line to rap down now and then. I don't know why anyone uses an 8 for a straight rappel to be honest.

20 penny nail and biner works good too.......rap...then just wiggle it off:D

jus kidding:O

I never use my climbing line to pull something over, but I do throw a munter on a pull line to rap down now and then. I don't know why anyone uses an 8 for a straight rappel to be honest.

Same here. From the topping cut down, I'm set up on rappel. For training I use an AFC. Pulling trees with a lifeline is taboo. Cutting a notch is not worth the time or exposure when now there are better alternatives. It's a method but certainly an outdated one.

I can't seem to get a munter on a 3/4 inch rope to fit on a Carabeaner.
For 1/2" pull lines the muenter is the dogs bollocks.

I haven't tried the munter before. It looks easy and fast to set up, is there anything I need to know before using it?

Stig mentioned using a piranha to rappel down. I can barely use 1/2 line on that tiny thing.
Let alone find a carabeaner to fit in it. do you knoock out that plastic "keeper"?

Just take a round file and enlargen the hole a little.
I only use the piranha if we use a ½ inch bull rope, anything larger won't fit.

I like the Piranha for going down a single line, because you often go too fast on a figure 8, particularly with the large rescue 8s, the line between controlled descent and free fall is too slim for my liking.

When descending short distances from a spar when I have no need to leave a rope attached, I pull enough line up that the end reaches the ground below me, then a couple more feet, then tie a figure-eight-on-a-bight. Clip a 'biner in, go around the trunk, clip around standing rope, and descend with a figure eight on the captured rope. When you reach the ground, just pull the side with the 'biner, and it comes right down to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you all for your feedback.

Just take a round file and enlargen the hole a little.
I only use the piranha if we use a ½ inch bull rope, anything larger won't fit.

I like the Piranha for going down a single line, because you often go too fast on a figure 8, particularly with the large rescue 8s, the line between controlled descent and free fall is too slim for my liking.

Ahh, Stig...that's where the RQ3 rescue eight shows it's superiority. Adjustable degree of friction on the fly.

The munter is nice, but there really isnt a good way to stop and lock it off, provided you need to stop before getting all the way down. As with an 8, a hitch backup is always good practice.

Alright squish I will take OTG's advice go low and slow first, probably isn't a good idea to get to confident with something I have never used before.

Top, Ive never used a hitch backup for a descender, what kinda hitch do you recommend?

I've followed this thread for a few days and the general concencous of the members is right up with how I feel about the technique. I've cut notches to rappel out and rounded the corners to soften the edges and on the shallow notches set a friction saver. Man after a long day in the spurs that last descent using the climbline is so much nicer than pounding your shins and ankles. Though when I was much younger I prided myself with all the hardcore aspects. And I'm paying for it now.

Ahh, Stig...that's where the RQ3 rescue eight shows it's superiority. Adjustable degree of friction on the fly.

I should get me one of those. Can I ask you to post a link to a dealer.
A man can never have too many devises for getting out of a tree.

There ya go, Stig...thanks, Dave. We can also thank Bob (HobbyClimber) and Sean (Bounce) for getting Wesspur to offer it.

Back