zipline - swinging limbs

RegC

TreeHouser
Watch in HD setting. The video shows a controlled zipline, with the incentive being to maneuver/swing branches out of a confined area into a more open dropzone.

In order for it to work you need to adhere to several points - The first is to establish a high-rigging point and an unimpeded (or as good as) route from the zipline to each individual limb. This usually means starting/removing the limbs around the rigging point and systematically working downwards. The slings are positioned between halfway and two thirds along the length of the branches....which gives them support as they swing around before breaking free from the main stem. The ground anchor must be as far away as possible in order to guide and support the limbs as they swing around. The ability to take up slack at the ground anchor is a must....again to guide and support the limbs as they turn.

The limbs on this alder were not heavy, so Bob the guy on the ground was able to muscle the line and manage ok. For bigger limbs though more help would be needed, or perhaps incorporate a 2 or 3:1 mechanical advantage to compensate for the extra weight. Big or small tree though, the principle of the technique remains the same. This was not a big tree by any means, but we made light work of it as you can see, and were easy able to turn the limbs 180 degrees at times. Footage is a little weak at first but gets better. Thanks

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BBpotAMb3S0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice, Bob looked like he was having fun. How do you like that mechanical friction device? It looked nice on your way back up the tree.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice, Bob looked like he was having fun. How do you like that mechanical friction device? It looked nice on your way back up the tree.

Thanks Cory. Yeah the tree was a co-dominant....I only video'd the latter half. Its often a popular misconception that ziplines are limited to starting with the bottom and butt tying all the limbs....in which case you need plenty of air space to clear the obstacles down below. But I was trying to highlight that with the high rigging point and mid-tie that you can easily clear obstacles and move the limbs all the way to the chipper (or wherever), with a limited amount of gear and manpower. Of course I could have just the cut and held the limbs in 2-3 pieces and dumped them at the base of the tree....but at the cost of more time and mess. As it were we were able to take the branches at the trunk, and by the time Bob had chipped up, I'd blocked the whole thing down and we were about finished. Felt like we'd done nothing.

The spiderjack is great. It does take a while to master and coordinate the 2 cams....I can see why some people give up after a week. But its definitely worth persevering. Its better than a hitch in so many ways.

Great vid, as usual, Reg. How many slings do you tend to take up at once when doing speedline work?

Love your speed line stuff Reg, inspired me on a recent job.
Are you not sure on this one you haven't overthought it? Could you not just have climbed it lowering as you ascend. No need for pulleys or stuff just an old climbing line over a branch then lower two or three at a time, Chipper running parked by the gate, then chogged it down.

Love your speed line stuff Reg, inspired me on a recent job.
Are you not sure on this one you haven't overthought it? Could you not just have climbed it lowering as you ascend. No need for pulleys or stuff just an old climbing line over a branch then lower two or three at a time, Chipper running parked by the gate, then chogged it down.
As you can see I hardly had to think at all, let alone over think. Having to cut stuff small to drag it through gateways is a slow-ass way of working when you don't have to....as is also conventional rigging compared to a zipline much of the time. The cool thing (unlike conventional lowering) is that you're not limited to starting at the bottom and work your way up....as with the highpoint and the ground worked stood afar he can drag stuff out of the canopy just by pulling hard on the zipline, and gets a mechanical advantage by doing so. Two guys pulling can shift some really substantial limbs. Ad well as, while with a normal lowering setup, the limbs swing as far out as the highpoint and then hang there, but with a zip they continue on towards the ground achor, whatever that be.
Consider too that the bid is shot on a wide angled lens, so everything looks much smaller. Conventional rigging or just cut and hold would be cost time....and saving time is what its about.

10 slings Leon. Thanks.

I was trying to highlight that with the high rigging point and mid-tie that you can easily clear obstacles and move the limbs all the way to the chipper (or wherever), with a limited amount of gear and manpower. .

Reggie, the high tie point certainly makes for good angles, or deflection as it is called by tower loggers out west. The good angles are abundant in the upper portions of the tree. But when you get lower, don't you have to let the zip line sag down from its top tie in so it can be low enough to tie off the lower limbs to, and when you do that you lose your deflection, no? Or maybe once the limb is cut, the ground guy quickly takes up tension to give better angles/deflection? Just wondering. Good vid, as always.

The ground workers pull hard on the line once the cuts are set. That's what makes the limbs do a 180 and continue to elavate without dropping. But it won't work without the high point, 2/3 tie on the limb and the far away pulling force. Last few lowest limbs on the vid show it clearly. Of course there are plenty of ways to be the tree down, but what you see there is an easy option of getting the brush out of a tight spot and into an open area just by pulling and releasing a couple of lines.

Thanks, Reg. I appreciate the info.

Are you using the spiderjack more often lately than a friction hitch when you Ddrt?

Thanks, Reg. I appreciate the info.

Are you using the spiderjack more often lately than a friction hitch when you Ddrt?
I use it at every opportunity that's practical. It took me couple of weeks to get the hang of....but going back to a hitch just seems like hard work in comparison. Its expensive for what it is, but what it does makes me it worth it for me. I put in a lot of hours hard climbing each year.

Yeah its called the Drift HD. I think its a 170 field of view. I have a new - new one too, but I'm having a couple issues with it. So I'm back to the old new one for now, which is actually smashed from a fall but still records.

Nicely done. I love to zip line and speed line. I am lucky and get to do it a lot.
I love the little jump Bob had going on at the fence. :thumbup:
We get lucky a lot Reg to be able to set a high point with the big shot and work from it where the limbs dictate openings. Z
Love the vids you make :)

Spiderjack+velocity=awesomeness.
Great Vid Reg.been hand speed lining small bits a lot lately, it's great to have a quick system without being gear intense and a lot of set up time.
J8)

The speedline is a good tool I have used it in tight areas, If i was under staffed and had a far distance to drag. As a redirect

I set up my speed line a little differant because I was afraid of the line breaking, my speedline was a 7/8 bullrope 300' had to tension it with a 9:1 ( at the time only had two ropes that were long enough .
I used a dmm rigging hub mostly( switched it out once w/ a double pulley so I could crane branch to my speedline)
ran my rope through center tied a vt prusik to 5/8"rope and attached to hub. Now I can tension rope to work with any hieght I tie off any limb/wood . I also ran that rope to another pulley which was under the zipline(where I terminated it on tree), then down to my grcs or lower device. So now 1 rope acts as my controlled descent rope, sling/webbing and I dont have to reset speedline acording to where i am on the tree unless I need to cut below where I tied it in the begging( which I set w/ my throw bag. Ill take pic of setup later to help understand better
WE now can set up a speedline, 5:1 and above if needed in minutes have already set up in bags. Saves alot of time. Have speed line w/ webbing as well very quick to set up if you educate your crew on how to use them
enjoy!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO6Z4xrfoKw

Last edited:
Good work, Reg. Same goes for you, Jalegre.....

I first speedlined in 1980 or so, and have about done it all, I imagine... including using a cross line speed line for precise ground anchor location, and tip tying the limb with a high tie which can create a bight in the line, and can actually allow the limb to be raised to some degree, or certainly swung 180 as Reg showed. Have used the chipper winch, GRCS, or up to 5-1 mech advantage to tension the speed line as needed, which takes the bight (bend) out of the line, this lifting or turning the limb. I often use HMWPE (spectra) lines to limit sag or stretch.

Good show both of you. Jamin, thanks for the look up at your top rigging...I was wondering how the orange lowering line was rigged...then you showed the block. That lets you use the lowering line to bring the pulley back up for the next piece (or lets the groundie do it for you).

Reg...I liked the way y'all could precisely place those limbs in a row for the chipper..liked the sling usage, too...good stuff.

Back