Your niche?

Lately I've been doing a lot of commercial trimming and removals around power.

I think my niche probably leans toward the education side of things. I enjoy offering suggestions on the job over lecturing in the classroom. It makes it much easier to get the idea across if you are showing and telling at the same time. I also find it is often easier for me to understand the question or problem if I see it. This was really pointed out in my visit to Russia in '03 since I did not speak the language and my hosts were very self conscious about their English. By the end of an evening around a campfire in the woods, the examples, hand gestures, drawings, wine and vodka had made communication much easier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lately I've been doing a lot of commercial trimming and removals around power.

Around power? Meaning electrical conductors? Are you trained to do so? Do you know your M.A.D's? Im not going safety nazi on you, but highly experienced treeworkers are killed regularly by working near conductors without adequate training. Don't for a minute, think you are too good for that to happen to you.

Yes I know I know minimal approach and voltage of different lines. My first real job climbing was line clearance for asplunduh. I slow down when I work over power, take my time, I don't like doing it but hey money is money.

I would surely take the time to learn the real scoop on working around power. I seldom do it myself, but I have asked a few guys working for the power company when they were on the street and looked like they might not be bothered to answer a question. To the same question, I have received some different answers. :what:

Working around power always bothered me to an extent, I slow way down, take my time, if it doesn't feel right, I call and have a tree made line safe.

I was thinking about this today.I think my niche is doing what the customer want.Just do what they want for as much as they will pay.Worked so far.

I'm not sure about my actual niche but I know what my favorite type of work is, pruning big spreading specimen trees and sitting back at the end of the day and just enjoying the tree after the work is done.

jp:D

Bringing in the work -

Working late
Talking on phone to people after hours .
Im not a tree man anymore im a secratary slash buisness owner .
Money is good but i was not cut out for this .....

Anyhow thats my niche

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not sure about my actual niche but I know what my favorite type of work is, pruning big spreading specimen trees and sitting back at the end of the day and just enjoying the tree after the work is done.

jp:D

bleh

I like removals, but they are hard to compete on. Nobody seems to care as long as the tree is gone. People get really upset though when someone hacks their tree and wrecks it. They are willing to pay more for someone to not hack their tree. Less work, more money, happy people.

I agree with that. Folks we ground stumps for today had their yard completely destroyed. Bushes mashed to the ground, ruts from the skidsteer spinning 360's.

My niche seems to be gettin' my ass kicked by "grass whacker turned tree hackers". If all the customer wants to pay is beer and pizza money, I might as well stay home and not wear out equipment and people.

I always thought of myself as a "well rounded" tree guy!

My niche seems to be gettin' my ass kicked by "grass whacker turned tree hackers". If all the customer wants to pay is beer and pizza money, I might as well stay home and not wear out equipment and people.

I always thought of myself as a "well rounded" tree guy!

Just keep on keeping on. If they don't know any better, aside from needing the money, why would you want to work for a customer that plays that way ????

Back