Yale BlackMax Rope

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here is a quick update. I Facebooked Jamie from Yale just to let him know the situation and see what he had to say about it. The first thing he asked if I would send the rigging line in to him so that they could inspect the damage and see if it was the coating that was melting or the fibers. I told him that we cut the good sections off to use as slings and such and besides that was fine if we just sent back the damaged part. He also offered to replace the rope for our troubles. I thought that was really cool since I never asked for anything from him except for his thoughts and opinions. I have to say that I was disappointed in the rope, but I am very impressed with Yale (Jamie) and their response to me. Jamie said it will most likely take a week or two before they let me know what they find out. Once they let me know, I will post here. Until then, I have to say that Jamie and Yale rock!

The results are in. Yale techs inspected the line and found that the fibers were glazed and it was not just the coating. The glazing was very minor in my opnion. I wish I would have taken a picture of it. At any rate, the part that scares me is the results of the breat test. It broke at less than 8000 lbs. The original breaking strength is listed at 11,100 lbs. I just cant believe that a very small amount of glazing can cause that much strength loss. I guess that should be a good example of why we need to retire lines when they show signs of damage.

Jamie is still sending us a new rigging line even though the damage was caused by operator error. My error in fact. I told him that is not necessary as we already replaced the line but he insisted. He is sending us a hank of Polydyne. What a class act they are at Yale.

PolyDyne rocks IMO! Carl and I took down a big white oak a few weeks ago. I switched to 5/8" PolyDyne once I got down to the big wood. The biggest piece weighed 1650+# based on our calculations. Carl took 4 wraps on the bollard, planning to let it run VERY little, as we had concrete driveway and asphalt street below. He wound up only giving it about a foot, and the stretch in the Poly was perfect. Here's a couple of pics. The two biggest pieces are yet to be dropped. The last piece was 8 1/2' long, measured down from where I'm rigging the piece in the left photo. When the last piece swung down, it barely cleared the chunks at the base of the tree, slamming into the trunk. The trunk was ~20' tall, and the piece was 8 1/2'.....several feet of stretch. Makes for smoother rigging when applicable for sure.

Attachments

• 2011-09-08 10.29.21.jpg
    2011-09-08 10.29.21.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 2011-09-08 10.33.54.jpg
    2011-09-08 10.33.54.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 97
So yesterday a package from Yale arrived. It was a 200 foot 9/16 Polydyne! So let's recap this. We buy the lowest end line that Yale sells and wrecked it. We then ended up getting it replaced by Yale with their high end line, and a longer one to boot. We never asked for the replacement, they just offered. I just can't say enough about Jamie and Yale. We would have been fine with nothing because the problem was not with a defective rope. We would have been very happy getting a replacement of the exact same rope that we originally had. However Jamie took the extra step and gave us the best Yale has to offer. They just rock.

That's a good trade!

I picked up a BlackMax 9/16" rope right after the tornadoes hit in April. I got it because Bailey's had it on sale for $99. I figured if I got into one of those situations where I needed to leave the rope overnight or for a few days. I used it for the first time the other day. It seems far looser in weave than Stable Braid, more prone to snagging/picking I suspect. We lowered out several limbs with it, and it worked okay. I like the feel of SB much better, but for the price, I guess I can't complain.

(Mebbe I can get it to glaze and trade it in for PolyDyne......):P

Seriously, I'm glad to find out that it's not as strong as it's listed to be. Better than finding out the hard way!

And that is true about a rope like that. Might be something I need to think about doing over the winter in case I have to leave rope holding things up. See how it pans out. I have more rope than last year and ended up helping some friendly competition with mine and some gear :lol:

Back