Wrecked a coupla big Western Red-Cedar Today

So other than some normal heart rot in older growth cedar, what was wrong with it ?... Least you had flat ground and open area to remove it. :D

Na, in the Sierra where I was felling trees at 5,000 ft. there was no brush. Just fir and pine needles. And the trees were clean for 70-80 feet before you'd fined a dry limb. I burned all the extra gas bucking logs. 30 to 40 thousand Scribner every day. If I didn't spend the time and gas to lop the tops I could have picked up another 10,000 bf. It was the best stand of timber I ever cut in. It made the coast look like a weed patch by comparison.

I remember the pictures from "High climbers and timber fallers" I think ( my copy is loaned to a fellow timberfaller right now, so no way to check)
Nice big sugar pines and other good stuff that I'd love to get a chance at, right?

It was the best stand of timber I ever cut in. It made the coast look like a weed patch by comparison.

Wow, that is saying something, based on the gargantuan amount of nice redwoods you cut in your latest felling DVD!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So other than some normal heart rot in older growth cedar, what was wrong with it ?... Least you had flat ground and open area to remove it. :D

Nothing, Greg. The customer simply wanted more light. Yep, the trees were easy....just plenty of work processing the many large curved limbs.

Easier than the massive laurel hedge we started yesterday for a good friend. The hedge is below his property. We've eyed it for 15 years. It's 30 feet tall and just as wide. I've always told Bill it would be very difficult to climb it....and even now, as it's grown, it is super tough. We're cutting it at about 14 feet, so it will still provide a screen from the roofs below. In order to reach the hard ones, I used my 25 foot lanyard as a lifeline, and then two slings as lanyards. Even set a foot loop once. Incredibly strenuous work it was. Some of them were moving around more than I liked, from my weight and the wind. Then, getting the brush out was a chore. We only worked on it for 2-3 hours, after doing other normal work. Lots is left. I might have to break out the old chain saw on a stick to reach some of them, and I hate using that danged thing aloft.

Man RB! Well done! Beautiful--if knotty--stick. Thanks so much for the Sequoia shots as well. Wow. I'm super jealous of that one. We've only removed one of those in the last four years and I didn't get to climb at all. It was my first week on the job with the crew that I'm at, and they wanted to make sure I cld drag brush.:lol::whine:
A bit warmer today, eh?

Jerry: Man, don't even write that stuff. You just make all the rest of us sick with jealousy, and the worst part is that we can see all of the evidence for ourselves in all of your amazing books. Your photos of the work that you've done in the Sierras are some of the most beautiful things that I have ever seen in my entire life.

Al: I wish to God that I cld agree with you, because I am an arbo, and you seem like the greatest guy, but I'm afraid the darned cutters have got us licked.:whine:

Stig: You're another guy I'm super jealous of. I'd give anything to go over to Scandinavia and be trained on the Full-Comp, Short-Bar, Half-Wrap, limb-ripping skills that I've seen the video evidence of. I'd kill for the chance to go through half as much saw fuel as you guys use in a week, in an entire month of my work! Seems like every time I get to do a big Fir removal, I'm stuck for the rest of the week with the hedge shears in my hands! :lol::cry::X:X:X:X:X:X:lol:

Back