Wrecked a coupla big Western Red-Cedar Today

rbtree

Climbing Up
Started dry and finished wet

The first was mammoth.....7 feet at ground level, 4.5-5 feet dbh...and hollow. along with a younger double stemmer, and some fir limbing, we produced 45+ yards of chips. Pat climbed the big fella, I did the smaller one, then Wraptored up the biggie to drop two 17 foot logs, then the 35' butt log. Whew. I'se tired....and the cold of the last 10 days isn't helping...sheet, I just sneezed again!

Trading for the log proceeds, plus $600. Won't be enough due to the hollow log, less scale than
i guessed at, but the customer is very cool, likes us, and will pay what we need. which would be about $1700 total, and that is low, but I promised them a good deal. Way out on Ben Howard Rd past Monroe, along the Skykomish. Their kids own a farm two miles away and took all three chip loads......they also raise organic
Angus Beef...Yumm.

And a neighbor, for whom we've also worked, wanted a bid on removing a young leyland cypress hedge row...should be an easy $1500 or so...

Plus, I'm hoping to attract one of my woodworking craftsman to take the partly hollow butt slabs for table making, which could sell for $2000-4000 each finished. I only want 100 each for about 4 of them.

Here's a few pics, in slide show format
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbtree/sets/72157629448636385/show/

Included a coupla cool snags from the drive along the river.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Embedded a few images
6781448682_8ce8f2ea97_o.jpg

6781448988_c23911302c_b.jpg

6927569797_8b429a2422_b.jpg

Man, too bad about the hollow! That woulda been a sweet log...

Those trees sure do have a lotta brush!!! A zillion cuts, for sure!

Al, a logger will still have to limb about 20 of those trees a day, to make a living.

I know but he's doing it on the ground .Apples and oranges with regards to typical hardwoods here in the heart land .

The hard woods they just let the top with no salvagable saw logs lay where it falls .Well sometimes they pile it up with a dozer or a big lift of some kind depending .

That aside I do agree there's a lot more saw work involved on those pine/spruce /fir type trees .Because those are not native to these parts. I've done probabley less than a dozen in my entire life time which I wasn't real fond of sawing on those sappy pine pitch laden rascals .Dang things are worse than a mulberry tree ,yuck .

Al, a logger will still have to limb about 20 of those trees a day, to make a living.

True, stig,
But these were open grown trees. Cedar grown in the forest would have been 160 feet tall, not 95-100, and had a tiny fraction of the brush.

Roger, it is part of a long discussion about whether loggers or arbos put more hours on their saws.
Al favours the arbos, myself, being a logger, favour those.

And you are quite right, of course.

We'll never totaly reach agreement because the methods differ so much .

It's not a point of saying who works harder because none of it is easy work .However had that big cedar been in the boon docks they wouldn't have had near the work involved as disecting it in the method they did .However if it had been in a tight LZ there would have been much more work having to dissasemble it a couple feet at a time .

Nice pics Roger as usual .:)

I think wild land firefighters run more tanks of gas than arborists or loggers, at least during summer.

Nice work Roger.

How many groundies did you have feeding the chipper to get 45+ yards in a day. That's a ton, well many, many a ton.

Sounds like a deal for the HO, and you're getting what you need out of it, as you said.

I'm with Stig, at least for landing chasers and fallers. Never did a fire crew so can't compare

Cutting lines .... brutal.. I think Darin is right... When I am doing ladder fuel clearance with a crew, saw only shuts off for gas.... I cut and they drag.

Which reminds me, I'd better order a couple of drums of chainsaw fuel tomorrow.
We are running a bit behind scedule, due to me catching the flu, so I've borrowed a real goos faller from another company for a week.
4 big saws running 7½ hrs a day REALLY burn up some alkylate fuel.

I think wild land firefighters run more tanks of gas than arborists or loggers, at least during summer.

Only because of the length of the shifts. Falling timber in the West is the same as cutting line on a Shot crew, only difference is it is over after6-7 hours istead of going on for 16-24.

Nice work Roger.

How many groundies did you have feeding the chipper to get 45+ yards in a day. That's a ton, well many, many a ton.

Sounds like a deal for the HO, and you're getting what you need out of it, as you said.

There was three of us, but just Mike and this grizzled fella on Geritol for the first half of the big cedar till Doug showed up. Needless to say, we wuz gettin' our butts whipped.

Twas nothin like the big sequoia, as there was no roping needed. just get em into the chipper pronto, mate!..well, save for bucking off the big or crooked ends.

Speaking of the sequoia http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbtree/sets/72157624162999759/detail/ I was back visiting Jane again today. She wants their view back, so we'll have a mess of limbing, removal and laurel whackin to do. plus more work that I never finished last summer. I'll take some pics of how the area looks where the behemoth stood. They've prettied it up nicely. Also keep an eye out for video from the big tree...gonna try to get more of my huge vid stash online...takes scads of time....and prolly some better software, like Sony Vega or Adobe Premiere Elements. MSFT Movie Maker seems to balk at the Canon HD format.

That was a wild day.

Its great to have a hungry chipper like yours with those twisty cedar limbs. I'm still happy with my ol' chuck and duck, that is small enough at 4400 pounds to put behind my 1/2 ton or chip truck, except for when it comes to cedars. Twisty cedar limbs make me want feed wheels. Can't complain for $2400, and maybe a $1500 more over 4 years, and still hungry, especially now working for the State, FT.

When I was clearing right of way 2.5 gallons of saw mix a day was average. Of course that was between three men running the saws and managing all the brush.

Falling timber on the coast 1.5 gallon piggy back was the rule. In the Sierra's more like 2 gallons.

Back