World's Best (Most Expensive!) Tree Climbing Spurs

I agree it's not hard just awkward.

I can see/tell that it's not impossible I just would never access a removal SRT I guess. Our big trees here in the interior top out at '140-150 max. Most are shorter, under a 100' or nearabouts. I don't get to fancy with it.

Justin, don't you run into long, low limbs that need to be pieced out in a couple pieces each sometimes? That's where I'd do it, especially with previously topped trees.

Sorry I'm not following you? Long low limbs on a removal that you would choose to enter the tree srt and then put on your spurs?

I use my panting under my spikes most times for decent sized take downs. Putting spikes on in the tree is not good for me. Doable, but I can never get them tight enough.

I find it is sometimes easier to just hang plum on an srt line with rw, and then pantin and Haas up the line as opposed to spiking up the spar. That is not to say I do that every time, I use whatever seems the best fit to the job each time.

Never seriously gaffed myself yet and hopefully won't, but I can see where some of the more experienced forestry guys have a thing for it. I only ever put my spikes on at the base of a tree as once I put them on then trundled to the tree. I tripped on a root or something and the gaff caught my chainsaw pants on the opposite leg. I remember thinking that was close and don't do it again...

My geckos have some nice covers for the spur.
Letting those be on there as one SRTs up and removing them once aloft should make gaffing oneself less harmful.
I'm with Burnham on this one, no way I would SRT up with a pair of "naked" spurs.

My geckos have some nice covers for the spur.
Letting those be on there as one SRTs up and removing them once aloft should make gaffing oneself less harmful.
I'm with Burnham on this one, no way I would SRT up with a pair of "naked" spurs.

I think the idea is not only be able to ascend directly up the line, which sometimes is more effecient than spurring but also to tend your system while you spur up. So both hands are on the tree, your spurring up the spar and the foot ascender is tending your slack as you go so you can be hands free.

Justin, I meant working the long limbs down which came dropped whole, workout spurs at the start of a removal. The consistent friction of SRT allows easier limb walking, which I prefer Sometimes without spurs.

I wouldn't be into spur rope walking, naked. I am ladder accessing 35 building clearance prunes by ladder. All the work is in the bottom 30', up to the old topping cuts. My Paddington makes a good tender for this application. I think spurring with an ascender might work better with tree spurs than pole spurs.

Cool Sean I get ya now. I don't run into that kinda spread often. And really am pretty old school, I guess.

I think the idea is not only be able to ascend directly up the line, which sometimes is more effecient than spurring but also to tend your system while you spur up. So both hands are on the tree, your spurring up the spar and the foot ascender is tending your slack as you go so you can be hands free.

Clearly a different approach...spurs and alternate lanyards only, bro. Top rope not a part of my scene in this scenario. In my world dominated by big conifers, I can spur climb to the top before most would be able to set their ascent line, unless the tree is well over 4 feet diameter. Very old school, I know :).

...also to tend your system while you spur up. So both hands are on the tree, your spurring up the spar ...

But you don't need a foot ascender for that, just a properly adjusted climbing system. As cool and as well done as these are, I am with Burnham in that I think this is a bad idea. The whole point of a foot ascender or walker system is to ascend using your larger leg muscles. That is also how spurs work and really well at that.

There is, as Burnham has already mentioned, a disinct line between the age groups that think this is a good idea and those who do not.

Simpler put, it seems that all the youngsters are for it and all old old guys are against.

Is that because we are stuck in our ways or simply because we have seen more bad leg gaffings, I wonder.

Being an old guy, I favor the latter explanation, of course.

Clearly a different approach...spurs and alternate lanyards only, bro. Top rope not a part of my scene in this scenario. In my world dominated by big conifers, I can spur climb to the top before most would be able to set their ascent line, unless the tree is well over 4 feet diameter. Very old school, I know :).
The term old school, to me implies that something is out dated. Everybody around here climbs in the way you just described Burnham, young and old. Because it makes more sense in lots of ways. Conifers and hardwoods are like apples and oranges though. I don't know anyone who sets a line to limb an average conifer....but you might make some gains on a big spreading hardwood. Im not sure that its really a generation thing.

Ni big conifers here. I set a line first no matter what tree I'm climbing though. It's been years since I spurred up. I imagine me and a big conifer I would still want to set a line. You must be fast with that alternate lanyard. To me that is pretty tedious. With a top rope you just climb. Setting a line doesn't cost energy and messing around with lanyards and snaps does. For me energy is far more important to conserve than time.

Having your line destroyed with pitch everyday gets tedious.

I think if you were clbing conifers everyday you'd re-think. A high point is only an advantage if your having to rig. Many times a week my climbline won't even come out if the backpack....I'll just use 2 fliplines to take the tree down. It really doesn't cost a lot if energy either.

I do see an application for it. But I use it so seldom. Traversing on a wind firm ... Use it for mechanical aid on the grapnel line. Or like when you are on two climb lines like in Jerrys vid doing a hazard tree. I would use it so seldom though, I can't justify the cost. Hell, hardly even use my Pantin any more except for the initial ascent and a occasional leg up when tired.
If I am wearing gaffs, I just gaff the bastid... I will set a high TIP usually. But on a single stem tree removal.. I will, more oft than not, just flip up it. I will use an ALT technique with my flip line and climb line.
As pointed out, if you need to set the rigging high... then SRT up and get to work. But the Wraptor has changed all that for me. Shoot line, Wraptor up with gear and spikes.. Set my lines.. get to work... These things are a chunk of change toward a Wraptor.

I don't find it hard to put spurs on in the tree, That's what I usually do, If I got to.

The weight of spurs alone and the foot pumping for ascent puts me off.
I've only spurred my self once, thrown off a long ass pine branch, taking it in half. Gaffed my inner thigh.

I started as a mainly a wrecker, Spur from the bottom, limb up, chunk down.
Nowadays, I'm maintaining (hangers & end weight) big spreading Eucs so,
high tie ins, setting remote blocks and bigshots are key now.

I'd say nah to srt spurs.
but, People are gonna use it and love it and rave about it despite what I think/say/do. :)

Back