Workmans comp

10-15% is a LOT more reasonable... but for that you should be able to cover a full time employee for complete health care, not just accidental.

I haven't even priced it but the lowest I've heard from other tree companies around here is $0.40 per dollar of payroll and that's for the established ones with clean safety records. A single lost time accident will supposedly almost double that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well my idiot insurance company id taking forever , so as a result today my guys are being run through a temp agency , but they will be under comp, it was a requirment for this job.
The rate is 50%

I haven't even priced it but the lowest I've heard from other tree companies around here is $0.40 per dollar of payroll and that's for the established ones with clean safety records. A single lost time accident will supposedly almost double that.

The last thing you ever want to do is actually use WC, get tossed into the risk pool and rates are stupid silly.

I beleive its the same here Carl until you claw your way out with no claims after a long time. One slip though....

I don't know of any chance of getting out of the pool here. Went from 33% to 38% to 46%, which is when I dropped it.

20 yrs of paying with never a claim and with my experience rating I am paying $26/100

It can't go any lower than that (here).

I don't exactly know what the WC rate in Ohio is but I know it's high .If I'm not mistaken tree or forestry type businesses are in the highest risk group .

Personally happy I don't pay the WC anymore or the employees that need it. Seems like many would use WC for some income by hurting themselves regularly. WC claims are rampant here as most the labor pool does not want to work but wants beer and drug money. This is not a generalization for everywhere. Just making reference to the elements of my neck of the woods.

Same around here. They first try to scam on to unemployment(which is for the unemployed, not the never works). Then maybe a job long enough to get "hurt". If that fails then they try for some state sponsored disabilty. It truly amazes me the effort that some of these people will go to, in order to avoid an honest day's work. It almost seems like more work. I have a SIL who milks the system dry, luckily she moved to Florida to suck on their teat.

Really, our society gives them very little incentive if they just want to subsist. Free or subsidized housing, foodstamps, a check every month,free healthcare in Mass. Hell, they even give some of them free cars and insurance and a cell phone. They ain't high on the hog, but neither are a lot of honest, hard-working Americans.

better employee screening solves that

and WC fraud by,faking an injury, can mean jailtime

Same around here Stephen.
My Dad was harvesting his walnuts and was using some of my Uncle's workers for a week or so. One guy comes to work on monday, leaves about 9:00 and tells my Dad he stepped in a hole and hurt his back. After he goes the other workers tell us that he hurt him self in a horse race on Sunday by falling off the horse. When the WC claim comes in my Dad calls the WC guy to tell them about the horse deal and they asked my Dad "can you prove he hurt himself on a horse and not in your field?". My Dad says no all he has is what the other workers told him. So the WC guy says "so why are you bothering me?". So they just pay out our money like it's freakin water.

Yup.. I actually witnessed a guy cut himself with a knife on purpose and we had to pay the claim when I was managing a kitchen here in town. They believed the employee entirely over me and one witness. I was WTF? Guilt by being in charge. Fugg Me Very Much. That year, the restaurant had to do some fancy foot work to even get WC though incorporating under another name. Talk about a waste of resource and money!

Same around here Stephen.
My Dad was harvesting his walnuts and was using some of my Uncle's workers for a week or so. One guy comes to work on monday, leaves about 9:00 and tells my Dad he stepped in a hole and hurt his back. After he goes the other workers tell us that he hurt him self in a horse race on Sunday by falling off the horse. When the WC claim comes in my Dad calls the WC guy to tell them about the horse deal and they asked my Dad "can you prove he hurt himself on a horse and not in your field?". My Dad says no all he has is what the other workers told him. So the WC guy says "so why are you bothering me?". So they just pay out our money like it's freakin water.

That guy gets a thrashing so that he needs WC.:D

Back