Workmans comp

damn, 3 yrs of high school french and I am struggling.

Mange moi derriere !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i now have 20 k in new jobs but i wont have any of them without WC

I'll be audited soon... I definitely inquire to people about their homeowner insurance, and tell people about uninsured companies whenever the opportunity arises during my first visit to give an estimate and if I am being underbid.

I had a condo manager tell me he didn't have time to check people's insurance the other day!!

It took me a second to respond to that one...

Yeah, the workmans comp is key I think. Especially, if you want to get in on jobs where people need LOTS of work, year after year. Schools, retirement homes, camps, etc...

If you have employees I do not see a way to avoid WC. If you are a sole proprietor and work by yourself, then purchase a policy and exclude yourself. I do this and it usually costs about 4-600 a year. When you show your accord certificate it just shows that you have WC. How do others avoid WC if they have employees?

Simple. I have no employees.

And why the hell would you pay $600 a year for a policy that excludes you anyways? In other words... they'll never have to pay out? Screw that. We get raped enough in this business, and WC is nothing but rape without lubricant.

I have no employees and no way am I shelling out money for a ghost policy that doesn't cover ANYBODY. That's all such an insurance lobbyist pile of crap.

If I DID have employees I would carry WC... begrudgingly. You have to cover accidental injury for employees and a regular health policy won't do it. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if someone got hurt on my watch and I didn't have them covered. Of course, a regular health insurance policy shouldn't exclude injury on the job but they can, so they do.

This is a huge soapbox thing for me and I'm gonna try to stay quiet but I will say this much. Insurance companies are no different than banks in that they make money by duping people into living beyond their means. They exist so you and I can borrow and spend more money than we actually have without risk to the lender.

They are also motivated to screw their customers rather than serve them. Insurance is just a government sanctioned conduit for them to use your money to make themselves richer. They have no interest in paying claims and lots of interest in denying them. It's a screwed up business.

Simple. I have no employees.

And why the hell would you pay $600 a year for a policy that excludes you anyways? In other words... they'll never have to pay out? Screw that. We get raped enough in this business, and WC is nothing but rape without lubricant.

so you can get a job that requires.......600 aint nothing

I really hope they make a ghost policy illegal anyway

the thing I keep in mind....a lot of my best clients, who have something to lose, ask if I have it. They dont want a lawsuit.

second, despite what your employee or sub says, if really bad injury happens, lawyers are bound to get involved.

Subcontracting is somewhat tenuious.......If I was subbing(with no WC) I would want cash, so as not to leave any paper trail when the lawyers come sniffing around..

for all of you who dont have any employees...why do you even care about this issue? but ask yourself this, if your son or daughter was injured on the job, would you expect them to be covered? If you dont have kids then this dont mean shat either

Dark, If your rate is in the 20% something, that is a bargain...I would buy, and sell folks on the fact you care about your employees if they were to get hurt....and just as important, the customer to be left out of having to deal with an injury.

Just because you have a WC policy doesn't mean your employee will be covered in an accident (I'm proof of that). It only means that you paid for a government-mandated overpriced insurance policy with lots of exclusions and limitations. There are other options for seeing that your employees are covered in the event of an accident.

Many of the larger tree companies around here are self insured. Instead of giving millions of dollars to WC, they just set that money aside and pay for any accidents or injuries out of that money. The benefits are that the employee isn't subjected to the horrible WC policies and limitations and the employer saves a ton of money.

they paid your MRI that was 9k right.....how were you not covered? Do you have some kind of long term disability that keeps you from doing treework...it doesnt seem llike it.

Just cause you disagreed with your treatment.....doesnt mean it was wrong..What was the total claim....or do you even know?

You have to cover accidental injury for employees and a regular health policy won't do it.

One more :thumbup: for Universal Health Care. Who knows... maybe they'll actually start caring about work place safety then. :cry:

It is not as bad as it seems I work as a sub for a number of GC's that require you have a policy in place. I make up for it in other ways, Plus if I take a job that requires help I do not half to rush out and make a large deposit to get them covered. I do not like it but I get more work than I would without it. It is a scam by the insurance companies however, I agree. But I am not in a position to make the rules so I must play by there's. The insurance companies are going to collect one way or another. When I work for a GC, when he is audited if he can not produce my certificate, then he will be charged for all the hours that I worked for him. Self insuring up to a point and then buying re-insurance is probably the way to go. Usually the net cost is closer to 400 for the year. You pay 1000 dollars up front and after my audit I usually get back 600.

I definitely can't bid on lots of jobs since I don't carry WC, but that suits me fine. Trying to make money dealing with prime contractors or government is too much work for my feeble brain. They can keep their forms and their hoops and their net 30 terms and all that shit... it ain't worth my time.

Yes, I have permanent damage from my accident. That's why I can't climb any more. I work around it though.

workers compensation and disability coverage are two seperate things.

Here I can't have an emlpoyee without WCB. Even if I didn't have it if a workplace accident occured WCB would cover my employee and sue/fine the hell out of me is how I beleive it works. Regardless I prefer to have it all on the up and up. I've easily landed 30g plus in work this year that requires a WCB clearance letter. Our rates are reasonable though imo, I beleive without pulling the file I'm around 12%.

It's different if I'm reading you right. My commercial general liability policy is seperate and written by a private insurance company.

general liability is also known as public liability.

employer liabilty as coverage for accident injuring employee???

Is that what your talking about?

Yup. My Public and products liability has £5million cover, and my employers liability (covering anybody who works for me) runs to £10million.

Back