Workmans comp

darkstar

Rockclimber/ treeclimber
We are now paying workmans comp, got my for 6 years without it and seemed like was about time .
Plus we got 10k in new jobs that require it.
Anyhow this entire year has been one cut after another , i bid 20 jobs and got 2. I was underbid by a tiny margin on all the other 18.
Anyhow the comp is getting me 2 big jobs but i fear ill be priced right out of the rest of incoming work.:cry:
Any ideas of how to get through this ?
i need to appeal to folks who know what it is and contractors who need me to have it , i know that much.
Problem around here is nobody seems to care if i have it or not .

John ? what do think how are you getting by man

Gotta do whacha gotta do. I have to have it to be legal, frusterating to lose jobs to illegal contractors. I show people how they can verify my licence, bond, insurance and workmans comp everytime I give a written bid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was just laughed at for saying that WC made my bid go up alittle.
she said she didnt care and neede the lowest possible price.
She said ill let you know after i collect all the other bids , and she drew the word allllll way way out like all meaning the other 1200 tree services i called.

If more Homeowners were sued by workers injured on their property maybe they would start to care a little more. The only solution to this is to somehow make it possible to penalize those who hire companies that do not have workers comp insurance. Now that I think of it a comprehensive national health care policy may render workers comp superfluous.

Yeah i want to pay it john but im being beat on price already, actually we are lucky and have been offered a pay as you go plan, no down.
sink or swim , i want to swim

My experience with WC was horrible and they did everything they could to ignore/dismiss my injuries. I will never ever put myself in a position where I am 'covered' by the WC thieves ever again. I'd rather pay my own way out of pocket and have a better chance of getting honest treatment instead of having all the doctors going through the motions of filling out whatever forms get them the most WC money.

My worker's comp topped out at $100k I believe. At the rate I was going, 2-3 more years and I would have paid more in premiums than they would pay in a claim.

My problem with WC is that they almost always require a lump sum or significant depoist to get it going. And I opt out of coverage for myself, which knocks me out of doing work for some cities and such. It simply costs to much to cover me doing this work. I guess I could sue myself If I frig myself up. :/:

My experience with WC was horrible and they did everything they could to ignore/dismiss my injuries. I will never ever put myself in a position where I am 'covered' by the WC thieves ever again. I'd rather pay my own way out of pocket and have a better chance of getting honest treatment instead of having all the doctors going through the motions of filling out whatever forms get them the most WC money.
WC can kiss my ass.

Fug em.. I went to all family this year. Made more money doing so.. Well more profitable anyway.

John i know its personal but what are you paying per year.
My payroll was almost 200k last year. So that would have been about 50k at my rate which was almost exactly my take home or profit or salery how ever you figure.
Basically i would have made no money at all, this year im just gonna strive to keep labor down.
And get some fat contracts.
However you look at it , it is very very expensive insurance, but we are starting to work for the upper upper class here and if i can get past the dumb ass contractors , we should do well.
Bottome line is the government is letting us operate legally without it.
I can have 5 full timers and no WC
so how can i compete ????

Anyhow i didnt want this thread to go south , just LOOKING FOR IDEAS HOW TO USE WC TO SALE AND AVENUES TO GET JOBS .
If im gonna carry it then i need to use it as a tool .

Mine wanted a deposit, not a down payment! They have well over 4k of my money that is not doing anything towads my bill for 2 years now. I pay quarterly in advance now

I pay it and forget it. Hopefully it will never come up. I am glad it is there for my guys should they get hurt.

A person might remind a client that ours is the most dangerous industry and then inquire, "How good is your homeowner's insurance?"

I guess we got lucky with this pay as you go program, its the first time i ever heard of such. No audit s either , the payroll agency deducts it each week,they also supply the coverage

I actually had the yearly audit this morning. I owe them another $4400.00

Jerry, you need to learn how to lessen your payroll exposure.

Back