Wire rope gripper?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
LetsDig18 has a huge number of videos...many of them cover what I'll be doing at our farm.

Without seeing it you've actually got a lot of options that would not break the bank .One could be to just use "Crosby " clamps to snatch the wire rope to provide a way to get a helper pull point . If it were large diameter braided or lay line like 1" nylon a triple sliding hitch could be used .

Thanks, Al...appreciate the input. I wish you lived down near the farm...I have toyed with the idea of flying you down there and hiring you to help resurrect an old D7 dozer. I'll start a different thread about that.

heres an idea, might not work, but you can try

preform grips (basically un-twisted cable, bent in a U shape, you wrap around the cable to pull and it bites down like a friction hitch

dirt cheap too

1631204304133.png

Whatcha gitten per acre? 250-300? An acre at a bare bones minimum guess yeilds three mats sold for 250 each. Plus money! Lol I am only half joking.
I wonder how durable it actually would be.

I may have to start watching Asian excavator rescue videos. The ones I've seen are crazy crazy. They do some interesting stuff over there... Maybe they use bamboo. But I don't think bamboo is going to be rigid enough for a mat. I think it'll destruct.. all mats I see on videos are rigid.

On those preforms you're getting into power line hardware stuff of which many methods were used .Messenger wire while being strong can be a chore to handle because it doesn't bend real well .Another option depending on the local scrap yards is often unused crane cable can be found still on reels for various reasons and often inexpensive .FWIW using a small antique D4 Cat I've pulled new 1/2" chockers apart trying to pull stumps and that machine is only 35 horse power .

Mats are made from logs, usually oak. You could probably make some yourself, get some straight logs, drill holes they thru them and use really big all thread to bolt them all together, just like a raft on naked and afraid or something. They make them around here, they simply use 10x10 square beams or so. A chainsaw mill would work well too. I'll see if i can hunt down some pictures.

Alex and I have discussed that idea a little bit. Considered using that cable he's got as the connector rather than threaded rod. Not sure how difficult that would actually be.

Alex and I have discussed that idea a little bit. Considered using that cable he's got as the connector rather than threaded rod. Not sure how difficult that would actually be.
the issue with cable is flex
and you dont want any, if you think its stiff enough, make it stiffer

basically, tracks create mud suction, the mats go under, stopping the tracks from getting stuck, so instead of a 15K machine + suction, its a 300 pound mat + suction

see the difference? the mat is a hell of a lot easier to un stick, and cheaper, as long as they are stiff they will work wonders

One thing’s for sure...if you plant your 20 acre field in bamboo, there’ll soon be 80 acres of bamboo in the vicinity...
the neighbor at my old house planted a bamboo patch, now its a job to cut bamboo down every few years

I had to reread the original post ,here's what might work if you swamped it .Because it's a mini it should not be real wide .It might be possible to chain railroad ties under it but if it has rubber tracks I'm not sure if that could be done ..I walked out a D4 Cat ,steel track , I had stuck in a creek so deep the fan was throwing water on me but it was a back breaking job and I was a lot younger . At my age I can't see me handling a 200 pound tie , the excavator would have no problem .

It's all about ground pressure .My old D4 has 13" tracks and is 14,700 pounds and will sink in the mud .My old Oliver 0C 6 has 12" tracks and 9.200 pounds and will walk over mud you would sink to your knees in .I've seen Cat D6 swamp tractors with 36" wide tracks but they have special long undercarriages with such heavy tracks .A standard undercarriage would not hold up .

Good input. The mini ex has 5# ground pressure according to the specs. It SHOULD be hard to get stuck. Cool on the cross ties...I read about that idea in a PondBoss forum.

The mini ex has 5# ground pressure according to the specs
oh, one other thing, as you move the machine, and lift with the boom, it will shift the weight on the tracks, so pay attention to the heavy side, especially lifting over the end, the ends of the tracks might want to sink
so far, I think as long as you pay attention you wont have an issue, just think ahead, and make sure there isnt too much weight on one spot

here is a video from a company my dad used to work for, those tracks are like pontoons, you should in theory be able to float the machine down a river, but as you can see, there was too much weight on one end

this machine is remote operated, picking rockets out of the ground

I don't know whether to laugh or say, "Wow!!!" Crazy stuff...picking rockETS out of the ground. I thought you meant "rocks"...nope. :lol:

I may have to start watching Asian excavator rescue videos. The ones I've seen are crazy crazy. They do some interesting stuff over there... Maybe they use bamboo. But I don't think bamboo is going to be rigid enough for a mat. I think it'll destruct.. all mats I see on videos are rigid.
Gary...have you ever heard of "corduroy road"? Jerry B. will know :D. Might serve in some instances.

Yes...I saw references to it and just googled it...makes sense. I saw an Asian excavator rescue video today -- one stuck...bad...another used logs as a road to get the stuck one out.

corduroy-road.jpg

Back