Why SRT?

sawinredneck

Treehouser
I see it on rock climbing etc. but I can't really see the usefullness in a tree.
You set the knot at the top, climb, but still have to DRT down right?
In a removal I can see it being handy, set the tip, drop the lower branches, blow the top then move you're tip as you come down right?
Sorry, I am missing something bigtime with this setup.

good for really long ascent or where you can isolate both legs for DRT

yep...Old Tom D swears by it all the time.....But I say heck no. It has its place just not all the time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can see some positive aspects, a quicker re-direct etc., but I think clibing one to one would be a lot harder.

well I have never used the unicender....but he swears by it. I don't like the idea of my rope anchored to the base while working. I fear someone cutting it or falling limbs snagging it. I use it for ascent only...gotta be tall too

ANCHORED at the base? Why would that be necissary? I thought it was the same as DRT, just one rope and new ascenders/decenders?

handy for long ascents. gets you to the top with less energy expended and faster. once your at the top switch to doubled rope for working. thats all.

Like John says, long ascents, otherwise, it's pointless to me. I tried it for about six months but never really cared for it.
If you're gonna tie off at the base you're doubling the load on the crotch or limb so pick good ones.

I agree that having tied at the base is just risky.

Also Andy,
You mentioned starting removals at the top....
That's just makes me cringe with hangers in mind.
Removals from the bottom are best started.

I don't know tomato or tomato

If your rope is tied off at the base of the tree, the most likely cause for emergency will be accidentally cutting your rope. And then the groundman won't have to lower you.
;)

I mentioned removals to set the TIP, slice the tree on the way up and work the spar down.
Seriously, I know little to nothing of this, trying to learn a bit.

If your rope is tied off at the base of the tree, the most likely cause for emergency will be accidentally cutting your rope. And then the groundman won't have to lower you.
;)

True.........If you use it just for access and then tie in DRT elsewhere,, it could be used as an acess line for a rescuer.

I've gone over these "how" and "why" scenarios in my head a thousand times. Nice to get them out in the open, good thread.

My groundman better be able to spike up and lower me down.

Too many saws and dynamic chaos on the ground.

Maybe if the ground was still with morning dew and I was a researcher, I'd tie off the ground with a monitor posted.

But not on a treeJob.

That's just me, I rarely trust anyone else but me for my safety in a tree.
I'm selfish that way with my safety.

Ropers are different, I can cover myself with them lowering something.

There's a place and time for everything.

Using TD's SRT method, your rope is routed up along the trunk, over your tie in crotch and then back down to your friction device. Every single limb that you cut off the tree will be right next to your lifeline running up the back side of the trunk. Either you leave a big stub on every single cut or else you will be cutting right next to your lifeline. My 20+ years of climbing tells me that repeatedly cutting right next to a rope will eventually result in a cut rope. Period. This is why we always route our rope away from our work, and this is the biggest shortcoming of working off SRT. When the rope is under tension, it is much more difficult to reroute and you are much more likely to 'just be careful' until you accidentally cut your rope.

I see.

Right on.

Are you talking about srt'ing through the brush and canopy to your TIP.

On removals I usually climb the tree as I'm wrecking.

I totally understand sometimes having a high end TIP for rigging far and low pieces.

;)

Yeah, I fail to see how it would be helpful at all in a rescue scenario!! I can't see how you could get someone down DRT even!

I'm with Deva, spike it and get me out NOW!!

I see.

Right on.

Are you talking about srt'ing through the brush and canopy to your TIP.

On removals I usually climb the tree as I'm wrecking.

I totally understand sometimes having a high end TIP for rigging far and low pieces.

Right!!
Being spikless has hurt me a bit lately. Bunch of dead pines so it's a bear to set a line. I lanyard up, set my tip, then have to come back down and slash. 30-40ft trees it's not a huge deal.
Now on a big Cotonweed, I think this SRT might be the ticket!

That's why the rescue climb scenario has never made sense to me. If a climber is hurt throw the spikes on and get him out quick. Unless you happen to have a climbing competition champion footlocker on your crew that is.

The first time someone showed me SRT I told them there was no way that my life line was going to be available to anyone who is working at the base of the tree.

Back