Flint Locker - Why?

lxskllr

Treehouser
I was looking up friction savers on wesspur, and came across the flint locker. I've been aware of them forever, but I really only looked close today. I don't get it...

CLI219_flintlocker-3.jpg

Why would I want to do all of this, when a butterfly will handle it? Could also use something like a quickie, but I have some trust issues when hardware like that is out of my sight. I'll use them on occasion, but it doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. A butterfly has textile-textile contact, but I don't really see that as a problem unless you're tying it in exactly the same place every time. Is a flint locker valuable?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's a canopy anchor for a stationary rope system. Pull the end that goes through the green ring, and it goes up and cinches around a limb. Pull the other end to retrieve it. Looks overcomplicated to me unless there's another use people use it for.

OK, pretty much as I suspected. Thanks.

Impossible to arrange let down rescue by a groundie, using that system. But it does keep your SRT anchor away from meddling groundies :).

Other ways to achieve the same thing. Shackle in that butterfly would do it fine, and keep the fiber-on-fiber demon at bay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Could also girth hitch a ring in the butterfly and get rid of any moving parts. Not sure rope-rope contact matters though as a one time thing. It causes some wear, but rope's a consumable resource.

I thought the same thing until I made one out of spare parts and tried it. eureka ! The knot blocker effect retrieved the canopy anchor with *much* less friction even compared with putting a ring or a quickie on the alpine butterfly. It needs to be tried to be believed. I made mine with a ring and a quickie so one end is midline attachable. Two quickies would work also. It’s not just over-complicating the rig to use extra bling.

its on my mental list to try even though i‘m very happy to canobase with my adjustable ring and ring and most of the time i like to have a dedicated access line anyhow.

its on my mental list to try even though i‘m very happy to canobase with my adjustable ring and ring and most of the time i like to have a dedicated access line anyhow.
Can you post a picture and canobase explanation, please?

This length of butterfly and connector worked a treat for the trunk cinch/ pull-down line a handful of days ago.

Attachments

• 20230828_145609.jpg
    20230828_145609.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
Can you post a picture and canobase explanation, please?
hello sean, took me awhile to take the picture :) basicly i put the friction safer below a crotch and while setting it up i take a higher redirect. might not be worthy of its own name…

Attachments

• IMG_5625.jpeg
    IMG_5625.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
Back