Why SRT?

I've used it as a quick way to get up high without expending too much energy. However, when I do go that rout I have my climbing line in a backpack and transfer over to that one once I get to the top. I prefer to leave the SRT line installed on the scary ones so if something goes bad and I get hurt my rescuer already has an access line ready to go.;)

All I know is if I'm ever in need of an aerial rescue they better be able to get to me as fast as humanly possible... could be the difference between surviving or dyeing in a tree.

It is good to leave an access line if things are sketchy....spurs could be quicker..........................avoiding it is PRICELESS

SRT has its place-even working off a single line- it just isn't the be all and end all of climbing. As for spiking up for a rescue..... I can get aloft quicker SRT than I can on gaffs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fair enough Justin, just trying to figure out all the hype. I thought it might be handy for another trick in the toolbox.
Seems to me you could just use a splittail on the SRT line and climb single line the same as DRT without all the gadgetry, albeit not as fast?

If you can asscend that fast, you have impressed the heck out of me!! I have seen some fast footlockers, and seen very fast decents. But never seen anyone make great speed going up a single rope.

Andy, Naw-NOT that fast-I don't footlock and am slow on gaffs. Yes it is possible to SRT without gadgets but it is S L O W. The whole rope climbing thing started with prussiking. It works but is tedious since the knots want to lock down and you must break and slide your hitches for each movement. Mechanical ascenders release and glide upward easily.

Don't you still have some sort of a prussik for a safety on SRT, or is it just the ascenders?

You "have" to have 2 mechanical points on the rope or 1 prusick of some sorts.

I feel pretty confident climbing on a single, closed shell ascender like the CMI Rope Walker. I don't feel confident on a single, open shell ascender like a regular hand ascender.

I've been reading more about Carl, thank you.
Not sure I like the "open" acenders much either:O

[...]just trying to figure out all the hype. I thought it might be handy for another trick in the toolbox.
[...]

It IS that, another thing in the toolbox. Useful to know, sometimes the best way to get into a tree... but a lot of it IS hype.

Nobody has shown me how it improves over DdRT for generally getting around in a canopy. So far it adds at least as many problems as it solves. I'm all ears though, a truly elegant single rope improvement would be cool.

It IS that, another thing in the toolbox. Useful to know, sometimes the best way to get into a tree... but a lot of it IS hype.

Nobody has shown me how it improves over DdRT for generally getting around in a canopy. So far it adds at least as many problems as it solves. I'm all ears though, a truly elegant single rope improvement would be cool.

word......spoken like the prophet you are.:D

You can also anchor the rope in a neighboring tree. The further away from your TIP you anchor the rope, the less the stress on the TIP. Also, with a ground anchored SRT setup, you have the option to route your rope through several crotches, which also lessens the load at the TIP.

I find SRT super fast for long ascents, but I find something very natural about working a tree DRT.

love
nick

The farther the angle the more angled vector you're putting on the TIP, which can be worse than the 2X of a straight tie on.

If ya gotta angle it to make it safe, it's too sketchy to climb IMO although what Nick says is certainly valid.

I use SRT a fair amount, but for one thing only...long ascents.

It's far easier, and also much more adaptable to changing conditions attendant to different positions in the crown to change over to DbRT once you attain a high position in the crown.

Don't be dissin' my handled ascenders with whiney safety police noise :)...a pair of "open shell", i.e. handled ascenders gives complete safety in redundent attachment points on the ascent line to meet anyone's standards, so long as both are attached at above the climber's COB, i.e. waist high or a bit above.

I find SRT super fast for long ascents, but I find something very natural about working a tree DRT.

love
nick

IT is great for long ascents into a tree, then (as stated) you switch over to Ddrt for your work. Anchor to the Base does allow a groundie to lower you should that be required. I have not worked off SRT so I can not comment on that. One thing I see is it is more gear to climb, BUT as we age, it is easier on the body, mar bars or pantins are great and useful with SRT.

my opinion only

thanks

hmm

Last edited:
I still use a gri gri in the SRT metod just in case my top anchor broke i could withstand a major major fall and not even harm the sheath of the rope haha.
Ever thought of falling a long way only to be caught by an ascender or a prussick type knot.
HMMM hard for the tree guys to ponder , i know.:D

Ever thought of falling a long way only to be caught by an ascender or a prussick type knot.

it would be bad..... Why would you be set up to take the "whip" using SRT for access?

I still use a gri gri in the SRT metod just in case my top anchor broke i could withstand a major major fall and not even harm the sheath of the rope haha.

it would be bad..... Why would you be set up to take the "whip" using SRT for access?

John is right...there is no reason a rational climber would be exposed to that risk. More likely to be hit by a meteor on rope.

I have, after around fifteen years of tree climbing, in the last two months tried SRT for ascent into the tree, after a few teething problems I have, I think, just about got used to it.

I find it as just as tiring at the moment but am trying to improve my fitness to make it easier.

I use a lead weight to weigh down the line instead of my saw, I saw Pablo using a weight last year and thought it was a good idea.

So why not train new climbers this method to enter the tree, get them exposed to SRT FIRST? You show them footlock and other methods, why not this.

just my thoughts

So why not train new climbers this method to enter the tree, get them exposed to SRT FIRST? You show them footlock and other methods, why not this.

just my thoughts

Because the DRT is what you NEED in the tree 90% (or more) of the time. It's tried, it's true, it's effective, and WORKS!
SRT, as I was told when I first started even thinking about it, is gear heavy and expensive.
I had everything I NEEDED for around $300 to start with, SRT is quite a bit more.

Back