Who Pedals To The Jobsite?

RiverRat

TreeHouser
Any one else bike to your job with gear?

Attachments

• 20140725_205732.jpg
    20140725_205732.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 102
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a bit different situation than most here. I don't have a chipper rig. Don't have any desire to own. My money is made by me & my gear, period.

Kevin Bingham has done that. He was just around. Wonder if he'll chime in. The thread title is a bit vague, no offense.

I would like to do that.

I agree I was to vague with the title. I am some times in to big a hurry when posting.

Not sure how to edit the title of a thread.

Possible PM Butch.

A good thread. Having a kid, I now have an 80 pound capacity double seat bike trailer. Looks like that's what you have. How's it haul wood? ha.

Do you avoid offsite disposal?

I am fortunate enough to have two good size companies that will come pick up my brush or logs. They do it for a minimal fee. Some times when a claw truck is sent out I have to be sure to be around to rake for the driver.
One of the companies had 2 climbers quit during a big contract & I offered to help them out. That situation has helped me out more in the long run than any thing I did for them. Amazing how that works some times!

Most my work is for lawn & landscrape companies who don't want a tree company competitor who also landscrapes dealing with their clientel.
I come in put it on the ground tidy it up just a bit then their crew comes in for clean up.

The trailor is a 2 child carrior. I got it cheap. I am working on making one that is flat & joins to the bike on both sides of the wheel. Take a bit longer quick release axle skewer for that.

This one in the pic is rated for 100 lbs. While it will do that you have to be careful. I feel like I could easily beat the wheels flat with the speed & terrain I'm on some times.

In the pic posted I have 300' of line, 200t, husqvarna 288/26" bar, 2 gal. of water, 1 gal. Bar oil, 2 gal. gas. & smaller odds & ends. Pole pruner is the only thing not there that usually goes with me.

I believe I pack it heavier when I use it for fishing.

Attachments

• 20140723_211426.jpg
    20140723_211426.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 86
Butch I don't know. But the point that I believe was being made is I did not mention in the title anything about biking to the job with gear. Your good with words Butch. As long as it covers the topic is fine by me.

Rajelectric, that's funny. What's your name?
Take me a bit to learn all the newer to me fellas names here.
Please forgive if I ask you again I run dumb at times & the drain bamage is getting worse the older I get.

Biking is always cool, but practically speaking, with the added weight of a trailer full of gear, anything over ten miles or so and people will be asking if you are nuts. Do you get a lot of jobs in close proximity, Jeff?

Thanks Butch!

Job I did today was a little over 11 miles one way. It was 106 degrees here today & yes people have always thought I was crazy.
Don't get me wrong this is not the only way I get to work or get around.My license is now good, I have a 3/4 truck.

But when I can & most of the time this is how I like doing it. Keeps the body sound & the mind alert. It's not for every one not by any stretch.
I also have to pay attention to what I eat. My calorie intake is extreme. I have lost a bit of upper body strength but gained in my legs.

I used to be able to lift my log cart with solid filled, no flat, tires into the back of truck by my self that ain't happening right now. But my bigger, than I friends never could do it. I'm not concerned.

Terrance a young, very gifted 19 yr. old who worked for me decided he wanted to try the bike to work thing. I said that was fine but no Walmart bike. I told him I would purchase the bike, pay for 1/2 of it & he could work off his share. With the disclaimer he had to stick with it or I get the bike.

The second time he rode to work with me we had to call for a ride for him. It was a bit grueling ride & he wasn't looking to good.
He called me the next morning saying his legs & back were still cramped
up. Let him take the day off & told him to have some one get him a jar of pickles & drink all the juice in the jar wich he did.

He came in the next morning with the bike put it in my garage, shut the door & walking past me & my bike, to get in my truck, Terrance says " Your crazy"

Mistahben,good on you.
It's just a shot in the dark but I want to be sure.Is your name Ben?

Riding whenever possible does affect your mind in a positive way. Bike fitness seems much less dependent on age than time on the bike. No doubt stamina depletes as you get older, but there are some killer riders of old age out there, because they ride a lot. Frequent riding delays the stamina loss. I might be fortunate to live in an area that most always cools down late afternoon, so the best part of commuting by bike is the ride home. It really helps to chill me out for the walk into the house, especially during the later hour of minimal traffic.

That's great if you can both ride and drive when needed, Jeff. Pretty easy to fall out of the habit of biking when you drive. Three or four days of it and it tends to want to take over, being so easy to slide into the seat and turn the key. Riding can take more willpower to get going.

Gigi Luke is doing fine over all.Not so well in school. I mean his grades are great he is just to with drawn.

I had an older, retired neighbor behind me, across the alley. I would see Dean riding his bike in the alley, slowly, safely, never noticed if he left our block or not.

I see guys ride the hot days up in these hills and I just don't think I would enjoy it. If we had some better flat areas, I would be all good. ;)
Then again... I walk up and down these hills all day... It would seem some what redundant to exercise on top of exercise... LOL
Guess I am getting old and cranky... :lol:

Back