Who Pedals To The Jobsite?

Don't forget how easy it is to get wiped out by a driver! I keep my head on a swivel when I'm out doing my daily walks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Butch you are right about that. My bike is lit up like a Xmas tree even during the day.
I
Some times when my front light mounted on my bars gets to shining to high people flash there high beams at me. Which is fine
fine I just readjust it.

I've not been wearing a helmet which is some thing I believe I need to change.

I promised Luke I would wear one on the motorcycle. I believe the bicycle can be more dangerous.

Good idea, MB. I think the biggest worry is cars coming up from behind, and at might a flashing light does a vastly better job announcing your presence that simply a reflector. With cars coming at you from other directions, at least you often have the ability to see things shaping up and can take avoidance measures. Adjust your speed to what you see happening, don't trust anyone to see you or abide by laws. Probably if you knew how many don't, you wouldn't want to ride. Drivers often have other things on their mind than where they are at that moment, and if everyone that passes you in twenty minutes on a busy street at 6PM on Friday could be evaluated, it might read like a thick text on stress related mental instability.....the way they gun their engines is a symptom. Don't have a wreck to be the way that teaches you to ride cautiously and slower.

I've not been wearing a helmet which is some thing I believe I need to change.

I promised Luke I would wear one on the motorcycle. I believe the bicycle can be more dangerous.

Bicycles don't have the same pick-up if you need to get out of a certain location NOW, nor do they alert people and animals with noise.

Never, come hell or high water. It's a damn long trip to town from here, easy going down as I can report, having pedaled (coasted for the most part) it several times...but the climb back up after a working day? Done that too, and it's a heartbreaker.

No effing way, bro...too much elevation to overcome in search of my cocktail hour scotch on ice :D.

....once I was putting in the bid , showed up a sweaty mess...turns out customer was huge rider so that worked out. Other time I was working in the woods and had stashed a saw gas and oil there , rode bike carrying helmet and chaps.

Bicycles don't have the same pick-up if you need to get out of a certain location NOW, nor do they alert people and animals with noise.

Sean, I'm trying to picture what location situation it is that you have in mind, other than biking through Detroit or another place like that. I wouldn't want to run into a cat at night if i was going fast, but other than that, animals have never been a concern. No need to ride at a speed that puts yourself in danger. Anything can happen, but i really see those as minor points. I've run into some rather large bugs on occasion, and see bats flying around all of the time at night.

I've definitely done appointments by bicycle, its fun.

Question: When people run on the road they are supposed to face oncoming traffic, and that makes perfect sense, much safer to see what is coming at you (those people who run with their backs to traffic I think are insane, so stupid and dangerous). Why shouldn't bikers bike facing traffic, based on the same principles.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yup your right Butch. Here it is illegal to ride on the side walk. Because a bike is considered as regular traffic. It's not a law that's inforced.
Sidewalks are not that safe either. Traffic is not looking for some one on the side walk.
Pedestrians on a walk about can roll pretty oblivious to what's around them to.
Folks that let their unruly dogs run about on those Xtra long leashes taking up both sides of the path.......They need to be skinned alive, then poked with a sharp stick

I'm of the same opinion, Cory, that people on bikes would do better to face oncoming traffic. Bikes on the left here, going with the traffic. After years of bike commuting, I often get a sense of what is coming up behind me by the sound, and the vibe can be a fearful thing. Getting buzzed by fast vehicles within a couple of inches is no joke, akin to having someone file an artillery shell close by your body, even if you know it is going to miss. Many people in cars don't realize what it is like to get closely buzzed by a vehicle from behind going at high speed. In such a fricken hurry....I've informed a few, one taxi driver when I caught up to him at the light, I just parked in front of his car and stood there after the signal turned green, put my hands together to indicate that he had missed me by only a couple of inches. I wouldn't let him go until I figured that he had gotten the message.

On the 35 mph or lower roads here, bikers get out in the road and act like a regular vehicle. I have no problem with that if they can keep up and use hand signals. I'm not sure how legal that is, however. I think it is because we have cops in pairs on bikes that patrol the hood and they drive two abreast, just like a vehicle.

I agree, Jay, close calls are nasty. But it is also amazing how many bikers don't hug the side of the road when cars are going by, like they have no fear at all. Not me, I hug the side.

Back