Who Pedals To The Jobsite?

I dont hug the side. I ride out in the middle so people have to work to pass me. The last thing I want is someone to edge me off trying to pass me against oncoming traffic on a two lane. I move over when I can and let people pass.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I dont hug the side. I ride out in the middle so people have to work to pass me.

Most states a person on a bike has the same rights to the road as a vehicle, except for the highways & interstates. With that said how far do you wish to push that? The rule I use is I will do, what ever, as long as I am not a hindrance to traffic or my safety.

I've come to believe that hugging the side of the road is not the safest way. There are stats that back this up. You are not leaving your self many options at times if you do this. One needs to do what one is most comfortable with while also keeping this stuff in mind.
I use 25% of the lane. I feel that puts me out out in front of traffic enough they should see me if they are paying attention. It also keeps my tires out of the trash, glass etc. that gets washed to the shoulder.

I developed a method on narrower roads when I have some concern about what is coming up from behind. I generally hug the side, especially when there is minimal extra room for a bike when two cars go by in opposite directions. When I hear a car coming up from behind, close enough to see me up ahead but still some good distance away, I break the pattern of riding straight in control along the edge and swing in and out abruptly a time or two before going back to the edge. What it does is make the driver coming up unsure of exactly what they have going on ahead, maybe an intoxicated or elderly person, but whatever it is, the rider doesn't seem in very good control to the person behind the wheel. I can hear them reduce their speed when they see that, they get concerned that I might swing out again at any time. Most people want to avoid hitting a rider at all costs, even going to the extreme extent of slowing down! Its a fake out ploy, but it always works. i consider it self defense. Riding tight and straight along the edge only works against your benefit with the A holes, that think that can streak by at high speed and close proximity, because they aren't going to hit you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
[/QUOTE ] I break the pattern of riding straight in control along the edge and swing in and out abruptly a time or two before going back to the edge. [/QUOTE]

I practice the same at times. Works great. It gives me confidence they know I'm there.

I dont hug the side. I ride out in the middle so people have to work to pass me. The last thing I want is someone to edge me off trying to pass me against oncoming traffic on a two lane. I move over when I can and let people pass.

Im not sure you'd be alive too long around here on these roads.

Interesting strategy. I never thought of it, but I get it.

Back in 94 at the age of 30 I was going to college near Guildford to learn cutting/climbing etc.
17 miles from my house, I had no car so cycled to and fro every day for 10 weeks.
Apart from the natural high you get from that high intensity exercise (I was very fit and was not dawdling) the great feeling I was getting from learning something that I hoped was going to become a career made them amongst the happiest times I've ever had.

Good stuff.

Ive had a lot of good times on bikes but some of my most memorable are night riding. Very peaceful and very dangerous. Luckily, I never had a problem with it.

Interesting strategy. I never thought of it, but I get it.

I think the risks of the strategy are over stated if you do it right. Far enough ahead that the driver coming up doesn't get insulted. It's only natural for a driver to register some caution if they see something up ahead that is out of the ordinary or they aren't sure of, the same if say an animal is on the road. Do it when close enough behind you and they might take it personally. Hard to believe that road rage extends for more than a hundred yards ahead. Drivers don't have a clue why you went out a bit, you're instilling some heads up, that's all. I use it on narrow or dark roads sometimes, it's not like I want to mess people up on a regular basis. Nobody has yet to say wtf.

Riding at night is cool. Most people are jacked up in front of the tele and outside the night air can be refreshing and the streets quiet.

Good insight, Jay.

Re night riding, yes the peacefulness of the middle of the night is extraordinary. The roads I traveled I new pretty well so that lowered some of the risk involved but riding in near silence in near pitch black, I always thought one of the bigger dangers would be another night rider coming in the opposite direction:/: Yes a light would have made sense..

I have had that happen a couple times, a lightless bike coming at high speed in the opposite direction on the wrong side of a dark road. Very dangerous! When I felt compelled to elaborate on the risk to a rider once, it turned out to be a friend of mine's daughter.

Car high beams coming in the opposite direction can be bad, make you go blind. For some reason it seems to have gotten better in these parts, more people lower them. I'll flick ny light sometimes to get them lowering, but some people when they see that it is a bicycle and not a motorcycle, they will go to the high beams again. People are funny. :|: High beams from the back are cool, but people often lower those for some reason. Lots of folks just aren't aware of the bicycle riding subject.

I have had that happen a couple times, a lightless bike coming at high speed in the opposite direction on the wrong side of a dark road. Very dangerous! When I felt compelled to elaborate on the risk to a rider once, it turned out to be a friend of mine's daughter.

Ha! But scary stuff, can you imagine a head on collision?? ouchhhhhhh

If I rode at night, I be looking like an ambulance and a cop car, combined!!!

Me too, nowadays.

Car high beams coming in the opposite direction can be bad, make you go blind.

I used to wear a baseball cap for that, and tip it down a bit to block the headlights.

Speaking of biking through Detroit. I Did this for more than a year. it wasnt the biking that got me it was the chipping. But this was the start of singing tree 6 years ago. The trailer is still used by my neighbor who carries his lawn, mower, or rototiller, or hedge trimmers, weed wacker etc for his littlle yard service. The shorter trailer was made with electrical conduit. It would carry the saws and everything. We knocked out some big removals and a lot of small pruning jobs. We got a lot of street business $100 jobs to knock down the stray annoying limb. left the chips, and left the wood the curb with a sign on it. I miss those days. I still bike to a lot of estimates, but that chipper I don't miss the bloody knuckles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrAV4H0FiEk&list=UUCm5fwHS9hQ0ghiKz6-_ISA

Wow that is the shit and takes the cake hands down for mixing bicycling and tree work!! Hats off to you , sir!!

Limb rat I have a sticker with the ordinance on my bike. I never hug the curb that's where you get flats and hit potholes. I take my lane.

The thing is now with an aging population, you have to take that into consideration when you ride. They make older people here put a large sticker on their car, but you can't see it coming up from behind. I was talking with my ophthalmologist recently, and she was telling me that it is the rare bird that doesn't have their eyes going bad as they age. Some are moving into blindness and don't know it. :\: A field test of their vision reveals lots of areas where no sight remains.

That makes sense. It sounds like your riding around rural curvy roads. Here I am street riding where the only way to survive is assertively taking your space. If people honk at me, I pull out further and go slower. I do everything I can to be very visible. It was interesting though we took my 1 year old daughter out in the bike trailer and I found my attitude was much much more conservative.

Good thought, Kevin, making yourself as visible as possible. What gets me are the people that walk home from the train station at night on streets with no sidewalks, one street light every six blocks, and they are wearing all dark clothing. A trench coat can make someone almost completely disappear. I have nearly hit a few, both on bike and when driving. I told the cops at the police commission meeting that they need to do something about that, since many people are too dumb to figure it out for themselves. How about at the train station having a white paper band that people can put on the arm or something, do a campaign for three months or so, give people the right idea. "What a good idea", they said. Did they do it, of course not. "Go out at night, wear white". That is as old as the hills.

That makes sense. It sounds like your riding around rural curvy roads. Here I am street riding where the only way to survive is assertively taking your space. If people honk at me, I pull out further and go slower. I do everything I can to be very visible. It was interesting though we took my 1 year old daughter out in the bike trailer and I found my attitude was much much more conservative.

I've ridden a bicycle to work a few times here in SF. It's hari kari all the way.
Took me 40 minutes, I would love to make it a regular thing but I have a 1979 columbia 3 speed. I'm lazy and ride a motorycle.

They are doing tons and tons here to make bicycling safer. Many bike corridors.

Back