What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 488K
I few days ago I put in 9 hrs by myself taking out 3 DED elms and stumps. The humidex temperature was 47C [116F]. Then later at 4 am a thunder storm with winds I have never seen before in our area took down trees and powerpoles for hundreds of miles.
I'm sitting here with the phone ringing off the hook and for the last 24 hrs we have steady heavy rain and high winds. Will be up and going when things ease off later today. A few of my buddies are linesmen and I feel sorry for them.

mid 60's and overcast with showers today, like the last 6 months or so, I'll take it compared to the heat. ;)

mid 60's and overcast with showers today, like the last 6 months or so, I'll take it compared to the heat. ;)

I can handle the heat [and cold] was born and raised on it. On our family farm in Saskatchewan as a young kid in the late 1960s and early 1970s, I worked alongside my dad putting in and taking off the crop. Plus we had to care for 30 head of cattle we owned. My dad was already in his 60s at the time and he wasn't gonna bother buying hay baling equipment so we did as we always did, by hand.

Behind the tractor we cut the hay with an old fashioned sickle mower and windrowed it up with a 20 foot wide trip dump hay rake, both once pulled by dads horses back in older times. Then we picked up and a piled all the hay with pitch forks onto a hayrack then repiled in the barnyard, haystacks that looked like huge loaves of bread . Of course the best conditions were hot dry weather.
I have many farm buddies who had new labor saving equipment, but I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to have worked with work ethic as my dad taught me.

Erik, that's a cool thermometer.

We had a day of suddenly cold weather in the midst of a heat wave. I think that when the typhoon left it did something to make it seem like October. Very strange. Back to the heat tomorrow they say.

Still raining here, approx 40mm last night, 35mm more expexted today and it has rained 35 out of the last 45 days! I don't know if we are gonna get summer this year.

Craig, methinks you are getting the same pattern we have been stuck in the last few, well 10 months? It seems to have turned a corner, yesterday afternoon was nice for about 3 hours and this morning has started out sunny and 15C. its a Camelbak day.

Yeah, Willard, cool post!

100 degrees, heat index 110, hey MB, now I know why you climb with a towel!! Stinging sweat in the eyes every few minutes is a pita!! I tried and ruled out wearing shorts at work years ago but Ima bout to give it another try...

Just stopped home for a late lunch and a whole lot more water.

Here is the second line of the current weather report:
"Feels Like 122 °F"

Need I say more.
i probably couldn't get more wet if i went swimming at this point!

Since the rain earlier in the week, my grass has grown 3" and all the trees are budding out and starting to flower, they were in suspended animation in the drought!
It was 87 and 90% humidity yesterday, working by myself, got to about 2pm and quit, called the trucker, loaded up and went home for a swim (test drive the bikini...)

I do not know how you chaps manage to work in that heat wave you've got going now, that is just stupid hot, are you continuing to work or taking a break?

Still raining here.
The wild mushrooms love it.
These Birch Boletes popped up in my lawn.

While they are edible, they are not very tasty and get a texture that is too meat-like for my taste, so I haven't picked them.

P1000898.JPG

Back