What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 480K
To truly repair damage from deep rutting is nearly impossible. Cosmetically, sure. But restore hydrologic function that interfaces properly with undamaged adjacent ground? Theoretically possible with a few soil types, but difficult to achieve.

Last several days:

6 a.m. = white yard

Noon = Green yard

Accompanied by the ever constant & beautiful Navy grey skies of MI

rinse & repeat...

Monday last week, we got a storm. Not a major one, just serious, and as the job was shedulled since a while, I agreed to still give it a try.:crazy:

First, prunning a cedrus growing over the sidewalk, lines and neighbor. Getting at the top, it was a bit unstable but still doable. When I reached the prunning site of the first upper limb, secondary tied on a not too big wood, the shaking increased noticeabily. I made some cuts, but I became quickly like sea-ill. Puking in the tree wasn't very appelling, so I went down and left it for an other quieter day.
Second task, dead wooding, prunning and getting ride of 5-6 caterpilars nests in a young pine. Less tall and way less wide than the cedrus, so why not try that instead.
Dead wood first, easy and still doable despite the wind. I went through 3/4 of it. But the wind increased progressively and added a chilling small rain to the fun. The temp was barely above the freezing point and the hands weren't happy at all in the glacial wet gloves. So when my chainsaw finaly dried its gas tank, I decided that it should be wise to end the experiment.\\:D/
I could have finished at least the deadwooding and perhaps the prunning in the pine, but no way I can harvest the caterpilar nests with the pole prunner in such wind. Beside, seeing the cedrus ploying under the wind bursts, I was glad that I left it. My groundy looked as miserable as me and we gladly quit at 11 am.
The foreman was a bit woried about us, as he had already ended the day for all the landscaping crews.::?
The next day, still chilling, but no more wind. What a relief!

Oh! and the 5-6 caterpilar nests turned to be 35 !:lol:

Last edited:
It's pretty much the same thing every day here in Scottsdale, Arizona. Sunny, cloudless (occasionally some rogue cloud clusters), dry, and right now, as it is spring, it is 60 degrees Fahrenheit. During monsoon season, we get some rainstorms every so often which last a day or two. In the summer, when it is sweltering hot (regularly 90-120 degrees for the high), because it is so dry we get some of the most intense thunderstorms you've ever seen in your life. Nonstop booming thunder, lightning strikes, one after the next, stretching across the sky as far as the eye can see, torrential downpours with massive droplet sizes, and winds which bring down trees and takes out power sometimes.

I'm originally from Massachusetts, but I moved to Arizona over two years ago to be closer to my girlfriend who I met online. For the most part, I much prefer winter in Arizona, however, I do miss all of the trees and wildlife that were in MA. I miss going out into a snowstorm with my dog and climbing a tree or doing wildlife photography. I love snow. My girlfriend has never seen snow except on television. I couldn't even imagine that. One of my life goals now is to make sure I take her somewhere to be in snow.

Low twenties this morning made for a good time. Ground was crispy enough to keep the mud down to a minimum. Sun warmed us up to just above freezing by lunch and job site conditions rapidly declined. Not as soupy as yesterday but a sticky mud.

I'm loving it!

Lots of good sized flakes just mellowly drifting down to settle with the rest, little or no wind, it's quite soothing; sort of like watching a fish tank.
Helps shift my perspective to appreciating the simpler things and imbues me with a more settled state of mind, like sitting in a quiet patch of wood on a beautiful day.

Windy today.
Blew hard enough that I had to set the logging crew to pre-commercial thinning instead.
They were not overly happy by that.

Back