What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 468K
Hot for winter for sure, but a 60°F summer day would be amazing. That would be one of the highlights of my life, and remembered forever.

Australian summer anyways

40°F in January here in Maine, no snow on the ground. Warm winter so far, ground hasn't really frozen at all

Yesterday, it was cold enough to froze the ground, not deep though. It's a pita for my fingers even in the "warm" gloves.
Today, it was hotter, as the wind turned from north to west, but it brought the rain all day long. It seemed to be as cold as yesterday between the wind and the rain. Still a pita for my fingers in the so called "warm" but soaked gloves.

I guess that helps to stop the wind and the contact of running water, but there would be still plenty of humidity to transfer the heat. I have to try that though, I have a little room in these gloves, so it may work. That would be so good.
I tried in the past the silky-like under gloves intended for skiing, but I found no advantage at all. I came to the conclusion that my regular gloves were too tight and with the added thickness, even if it's thin, they were restricting the blood flow.
Time for a new try.

Finally gonna be getting some winter; sort of...

fvoRBOS.png

Back in the day, that would have been ZOMG, warm spell! Now, I have to use my imagination, and pretend it's like winter. Not expecting anything from the snow, but I'm hoping it makes a pretty display at least.

I'd trade you in a second, especially if you're getting snow. I'm still like a kid when it snows. Love it! I don't get off from school anymore, and don't go sledding anymore, but I still like seeing it, and being outside.

A couple years I got up really early in the morning to drive to a somewhat distant park, just so I could hike in the woods and snow. Snowed it's ass off almost the whole way there, then started tapering off as I got to the park a bit before sunrise. I'm thinking "FFS, this sucks!". Got to the park, and out to the water about sunrise, and a gentle snow started again. Fell lightly for a few hours. Ended up being a fantastic day. Ate lunch under a holly tree, and watched the snow fall with absolutely no one around :^)

Rain rain rain. The river is rizing.
My van was stuck in the mud last sunday, hopefully just a try to get out before the new week. I showelled out the mud and filled the holes with chips. That was pretty and efficient. But that lasted only 2 days !
Plenty of rain messed the place again. The dirt under the chips just flows out with all this water.
Maybe I will do something for that before the next winter !:big-bat:

It's been hanging between 26 to 34 degrees for some time which is slightly higher than normal .Almost no snow and if so its less than 1" which is gone in a few days .Because so far with the lack of snow fall it would not surprise me if this spring we don't have an abundance of rain fall .

@Marc-Antoine you sound about like me, where the chips work but not quite good enough. Rock is far better, and I'm to a point where I'm gonna start looking at scoring a bunch so i don't have to deal with it anymore. My regular driveway is rock, going up leaving the house, so winter is a pain but both the wife's car and my truck are 4x4, so we don't get stuck much. Backhoe is used for larger snow events as needed, occasionally I'll do it by hand if it's light enough.

I've got gravel probably close to halfway back, all reconditioned concrete called recon here, pretty cheap compared to virgin rock. You gotta pick out some rebar here and there when spreading it, but that's no big deal. The good thing with rock is that it will last damn near forever, especially if you regrade it on occasion. After years of ignoring my main driveway i built a super long narrow tooth attachment to fit over the backhoe part, which allows me to rip up all vegetation and pull the bigger material to the top, without really digging and moving it much. That turned out to be awesome, 6 or so sets and the entire driveway is done. Got the laser out and regraded it very well with water control, and now my garage doesn't flood and everything just works that much better. My next step is to check with my buddy and see if he has a concrete crusher or wants to help build one, that way i could recycle old concrete myself (which i could get for free until the cows come home).

Wet as is the usual these days.
We were supposed to have a forvarder start on the ash we've been logging for the last month this week.
Way to muddy and soft ground for that.
I've no idea when they can start and we don't get paid till the wood is out and measured.

Last edited:
Kyle, how thick is your layer of crushed rock/concrete?
I just looked at the prices at a yard near me, the recycled concrete is three times less than the river's gravel (only rock gravel available here). That sounds more reasonable, plus the round gravel isn't nearly as stable for a driveway/park area.

I'll "just" have to convince my wife and my daughter, as both prefered when it was a garden with grass instead of piles of wood, chips and some machines. So an other hardened area doesn't seem in their favors.
I'm not sure who will win (actually probably not me).:wall:
But I have to do something, that's an unbearable mess, spreading on the driveway.

Yeah river rock, the rounded stuff, is useless on driveways. It's roughly 4 inches deep, geogrid or landscape fabric helps keeping it from sinking through the mud which would mean you need more gravel. I put some bigger stuff (size of a fist or bigger) down first, then the finer stuff (roughly 25mm) on top. It has portland cement in it, so all the fines and stone dust in it will actually kind of set up, making it harder than just regular rock.

I thought the limiting factor was the price, like it is for me :lol: If keeping the area with grass and other drivable vegetation is the goal, but some surface improvement is needed to drive on it (your situation from my understanding) then i would seriously look into permeable pavers, which are pavers set and then filled with dirt, allowing stuff to grow.

babee32b1081192f1a382aaa3cae5017--style-casual-herb-garden.jpg 110416-0208-1024x684.jpg

They've used those in road pulloffs to disguise the hardened surface. Baltimore zoo has some in their parking areas too. Probably helps a bit in reducing concentrated runoff which can be pretty bad.

It going to hit 36c on Monday, humidity in the 30% and 26km wind...very high fire danger day.
...and last week we had 3*overnight and it snowed in the highlands.

@Marc-Antoine you sound about like me, where the chips work but not quite good enough. Rock is far better, and I'm to a point where I'm gonna start looking at scoring a bunch so i don't have to deal with it anymore. My regular driveway is rock, going up leaving the house, so winter is a pain but both the wife's car and my truck are 4x4, so we don't get stuck much. Backhoe is used for larger snow events as needed, occasionally I'll do it by hand if it's light enough.

I've got gravel probably close to halfway back, all reconditioned concrete called recon here, pretty cheap compared to virgin rock. You gotta pick out some rebar here and there when spreading it, but that's no big deal. The good thing with rock is that it will last damn near forever, especially if you regrade it on occasion. After years of ignoring my main driveway i built a super long narrow tooth attachment to fit over the backhoe part, which allows me to rip up all vegetation and pull the bigger material to the top, without really digging and moving it much. That turned out to be awesome, 6 or so sets and the entire driveway is done. Got the laser out and regraded it very well with water control, and now my garage doesn't flood and everything just works that much better. My next step is to check with my buddy and see if he has a concrete crusher or wants to help build one, that way i could recycle old concrete myself (which i could get for free until the cows come home).
Charge to accept it as waste?
Offset your fab/ operating costs.

Honestly, if i just got free material delivered i would be ecstatic. I looked into them more, and building a small jaw crusher is definitely in my abilities and materials i have kicking around. The city has a pretty good pile of old concrete right up the road from me that i might be able to score some before they grind it, so there might be my feedstock. I also have the creek behind my place, but that might be bordering on running an illegal gravel yard :lol: This was a cool design that wouldn't be too hard, I've seen similar used to make power hammers for blacksmithing too...

Here's another cool one, love the no fear pto......

Back