What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 468K
We finally received about 8 inches of snow.

Managed to get the drives cleared with one side of the snowthrower working. Soon as I get the truck fixed I can pick up a couple new shear bolts. :|:

Very nice day but frozen mostly all day.
I was late at work because the parking brake's cable of my van was stuck by (supposedly) some frozen water in its sheath. I put a basin on the exhaust outlet at the rear to send back the hot fumes under the frame and the electric blowing heater of the bathroom under the cab. Not very efficient but it worked with some times.
I didn't set the brake this night !

:lol:
Today, bye bye the freezing, welcome the rain !
Water on the dirt freshly expanded by the freeze. What a mess. Bucking the trunk made some nice splashes of dirt, not really mud, just dirt spitting out under the logs.

Less rain today, but with wind. It almost made me see-sick.
I was topping again an ash in a camping lot. Two caravans with big fabric awnings under me, 3 steel (paper thin) garden sheds, a plastic boat on a trailer stuck in the ground and some edges to shrink even more the landing zone. The regrowth tops on the mains old cuts were about 30', at 46' high, so the tips barely cleared the roofs during the swings. With the wind, there was no way to know where the broken stuff wanted to land and aiming the tops was tricky.
I came at one hair to lost a top over me by a strong gust of wind. It was a front leaner though, but the wind pushed it back up-right just when I finished my backcut. Luckily, my bar was still in and the hinge held.
Stressing day.

Must be a ufo, cause Sol's been AWOL the last few days. I miss winter. I guess I've had all the winter's I'm gonna have unless I move. 40s and overcast. On the stream job today, and it was a muddy mess. I'll probably take my climbing gear to work tomorrow in case I get some time to work on that mulberry. Good climbing weather at least.

Less rain today, but with wind. It almost made me see-sick.
I was topping again an ash in a camping lot. Two caravans with big fabric awnings under me, 3 steel (paper thin) garden sheds, a plastic boat on a trailer stuck in the ground and some edges to shrink even more the landing zone. The regrowth tops on the mains old cuts were about 30', at 46' high, so the tips barely cleared the roofs during the swings. With the wind, there was no way to know where the broken stuff wanted to land and aiming the tops was tricky.
I came at one hair to lost a top over me by a strong gust of wind. It was a front leaner though, but the wind pushed it back up-right just when I finished my backcut. Luckily, my bar was still in and the hinge held.
Stressing day.
A dislikable day, M-A...we all have had them and know how stressful it is; kudos for prevailing without damage.

I recall a miserable time having to spur up FAR too high above my felling cut with my lanyard FAR too low below my position, to be able to muscle a top back into the face and over to the fall, in just such a situation as you describe. That just sucks the hairy moose lips.
:D

Last edited:
Back