What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 482K
It's kind of an odd front or fronts .It looks like a classic nor'easter coming down across lake Erie and turning towards the Atlantic then a Siberian express coming down over Canada .What the 'ell happened to global warming all the sudden ?

This global cooling has me a bit riled up.
Anybody ever get the music from the closing theme of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" stuck in their head?
It has a real haunting warbly sound. Theremin or crystal glasses, or playing a handsaw with a bow mebbe?
Thinking of trying to get it as a ringtone for cellphone.

The old Jeep started up ,clanging away on three cylinders .I got it on the charger for about a half hour at 20 amp rating .Good to go after a couple more cups of Java .Kinda nippy out .

Wet and no frost in sight.
Nasty, nasty, nasty!

Logging season is on, but how they are ever going to get the trees we fall out, I don't know.

When you get a cold snap you soon figure out what you might have thought was okay to make it through the winter isn't .

The freakin tractor wouldn't go ,the Jeep is running on three cylinders. By golly the good old Stihl br 400 blower fired up like it was summer time .Well one out of three is better than zero I guess .

High 48 right now ,low 32 and sunshine in the pacific northwest ,this weekend soposed to be similar

That's a major problem if you can get em inside and warm them up get as much of the #2 out of the tanks as u can and fill em up with #1 stove oil. . Or #1 highway diesel and a bunch of Power Service white bottle.

Yeah, I think I got a batch of fuel with a bad blend. The three trucks that were filled at the same time all had the same issue. I have been getting diesel from the same Mobil station for over 10 years and have never had a problem. It is also usually not -15F in the morning like it was today. I picked up some diesel 911 and it worked like a charm, thanks to Brendon mentioning it the other day. We went from just about to call it quits to getting a full day in.

We are supposed to have some really cold temps coming in. Monday's high is -14 with a low of -20 and a the wind chill in the -30+.

Temp was about 40 today, 68 degrees warmer than yesterday morning. On the way home today the temp dropped from 36 to 23 in a 2 mile stretch, guess it was a cold front. Wind is supposed to approach 50 mph tonight and tomorrow, so wind chill will drop. Monday it is suppose to be about -60F windchill, suppose we will work inside or plowing snow most of the day.

Yup. Just make sure you and all your crew dry out their gear at night especially boots!! If your wearing felt lined pacs be sure to take the felts all the way out of the boots at night and put them up where they will get totally dry by morning. . If you use a Peet shoe drier u still need to take the felts out. .

Cold and frost bit feet seriously suck!!

Have seen Tennessee go to 40 below with wind chill one winter.
Temp dropped so fast that the warm ground made fog that froze and fell like pixie dust above 10 feet.....

Oh well. Prolly be more customers wanting to keep their firewood for awhile .
When I grew up we had lots of cold. I have seen 40 below several times in Central Maine. And one winter, I think it was 71 or 73 it stayed below-25 for around 3 weeks in February. That was the year it hit-52° on the thermometer out on the barn one morning.
And we went to school that day

Glenn, what do you use for gloves in those temps, ones that enable you to use a saw?

Kinco or Kinko. I think its with a c. Anyway the best ones have
Pig skin leather and the insulation is called Heat Saver. But the warmest gloves are the RefridgeWear leather with the foam insulation. . If I can I wear either my leather insulated choppers or military arctic high gauntlet mitts they have an insulating mitt inside them and I west a pair of Atlas gloves I use lots of chemical hand warmers also. If you've ever watched the Iditarod or the Yukon Quest race, you will see these huge Arctic mitts they wear. . That's the ticket if your stationary. But ya always wear a light glove on under everything.

The all leather Fridgewear are the best because they don't melt or burn thru where I warm my hands up on the muffler of my saw.

Thanks for the info. I figured that you had to have a lot of insulation in whatever you use, but was curious if you could still properly hold on to a saw and pull the throttle. By chemical, do you mean the carbon packets? I don't find that the heat from those much gets down into the fingers, at least the ones that go on the back of your hand in a holder made for that purpose.

Thanks for the info. I figured that you had to have a lot of insulation in whatever you use, but was curious if you could still properly hold on to a saw and pull the throttle. By chemical, do you mean the carbon packets? I don't find that the heat from those much gets down into the fingers, at least the ones that go on the back of your hand in a holder made for that purpose.

I think they are made from iron oxide. It heats up when exposed to air. I just toss 1 in each mitt. Or if I'm wearing gloves I put one inside on the back of my hands . Until I get my core up to making enough heat to pump heat to the tips of my fingers. Then I take them out and put them in the pocket that has my phone in it.
A frozen smart phone gets real dumb.

I like the leather Kinco's myself. As you said they don't melt when you use the exhaust of the BC2000 Chipper to warm them up. That is while standing next to the radiator where the fan also blows out. That is why we need some Comm Helmets so I can stand there and "direct" the crew. You don't get to 66 without learning something!!!!!

Back