What, exactly IS a 'hack' tree person?

• Thread starter Frans
  • Start date
  • Replies 210
  • Views 19K
you got it dude. I prefer basing what I do on research rather than old wive's tales. Keep hacking those trees up and you're eliminating a hole market for yourself out there that isn't just looking for tree garbage removal.

'a hole' market? asshole market? market in holes? maybe a whole market?

Hey TreeVet, I've been to Cincinatty once. You ever been beyond the US? Old wives tales eh? Thing is, there are french books on correct pruning techniques and decay paterns from the 1800's. Its something we do know about. I have a degree in Urban Forestry and Arboriculture - so research is something I'm familiar with.

Let me add a little analogy to my opinion...

You work and live in the city and vacation comes and you take your family out to a beautiful park in a very remote area. You are camping and you see a bear. You all are in awe of its natural and unaccustomed presence.

Then as he turns and walks back into the woods, you see something on the back of his ear, and it is a tag with the number 47 on it. Everyone looks at each other and thinks, "that ain't right".:?

I don't get the analogy, sorry.

I don't advocate pollarding wild trees in the woods.
If you sit and relax in the shade in a spanish outdoor restaurant, enjoying a few tapas and a glass of chilled fino sherry under the sycamores, which have been carefully pruned and pollarded over time to form a flat canopy to keep the sun out, Do you then get irritated over the fact that the trees aren't "natural" and think: "that ain't right"??

You could be quite correct - I also think its very species dependant.

It is!
Very few species lend themselves to pollarding: sycamore, linden, horsechestnut, some poplars and willows are the only ones I know of.
They probably have more further to the south, we northerners are not exactly gifted with an abundance of species:cry:

It is!
Very few species lend themselves to pollarding: sycamore, linden, horsechestnut, some poplars and willows are the only ones I know of.
They probably have more further to the south, we northerners are not exactly gifted with an abundance of species:cry:

Hey Stig,

Are there any good books on proper pollarding procedures?

Here in SoCal, we have chinaberry trees, also known as texas umbrella, and I think they would be good candidates for pollarding.

I really like the idea of an arborist working the same tree over 20-30 years to achieve what I feel is living art.

Have any pollarded trees ever reached full canopy coverage with the elephants feet mushroom ends?

I like topiary art too.

jomoco

I have been pollarding a few Fruitless Mulberrys up here and they do just fine. Took them over from another tree guy that retired. I can see why they do them and they do quite well being done that way.

Also, I do have to top live and white oak pretty regular. I do it to help them BTW. It's called mistletoe removal and they do quite well with the nasty removed. Sometimes you have no choice for the health of the tree if the homeowner wants to keep the tree. So does that make me a hack.. I don't think so:roll:

'a hole' market? asshole market? market in holes? maybe a whole market?

Hey TreeVet, I've been to Cincinatty once. You ever been beyond the US? Old wives tales eh? Thing is, there are french books on correct pruning techniques and decay paterns from the 1800's. Its something we do know about. I have a degree in Urban Forestry and Arboriculture - so research is something I'm familiar with.

If you hacks are gonna correct inadvertent misspelled words, might wanna run a spell check on the post you're doing it in (Cincinnati).

BTW. yeah, I've been around plenty.

I don't get the analogy, sorry.

I don't advocate pollarding wild trees in the woods.
If you sit and relax in the shade in a spanish outdoor restaurant, enjoying a few tapas and a glass of chilled fino sherry under the sycamores, which have been carefully pruned and pollarded over time to form a flat canopy to keep the sun out, Do you then get irritated over the fact that the trees aren't "natural" and think: "that ain't right"??

Yes. I can only give my opinion, I cannot give your opinion. I do not like the look of a topped tree esp. when dormant. Sorry. Cocktails or not. Non topped trees do not give shade?

You mentioned earlier that you were going out to top a tree, later calling it pollarding. Let's try this out...

Pollarding-specialty pruning technique in which a tree with a large-maturing form is kept relatively short. Starting on a young tree, internodal cuts are made at a chosen height, resullting in the development of callus knobs at the cut height. Requires regular (usually annual) removal of the sprouts arising from the cuts."

If this is a definition that you would accept, it is from the ISA, then the "young tree" part of the definition is a part you are missing.

Pollarding is a very popular method of trimming in many geographical areas. If done on an annual basis it can even be considered a form of prunning. Many trees adapt well to the practice. Though considered hack work by the purest and main stream thinking today the method has actually been in sound practice for over 200 years.

I've seen some interesting pollarding done on trees planted close to a tall fence, where the trees were meant to be kept below the fence height. The effect was like a living irregular lattice work against the simply designed solid flat fence. It created a pleasant atmosphere, and was rather artistic.

Thanks, Jay and many others here. I'm glad to see I not alone on this way of thinking.

The sycamores in and around the De Young Museum in SF have been pollarded annually for longer than I have been alive and they're the same today as the first time I seen them in the latter 50s. Oh yeah, they have the club foot alright, but it doesn't slow them down. No rot pockets and no liability. The trees look beautiful every growing season.

It is not as evil of a practice as the purest perceives it. The trees do just fine. It works there and many other places.

That is just a very interesting article Jon. Asks as many questions as it answers but future information should be expected to follow this as I see it.

I would like to know the difference between pollarding and topping, if any. I am no virgin. I can describe many. Most prominent was a 500 year old Bur oak (measured with an increment borer), 140' tall (measured) that blew apart in a downshear and crushed a house next to it. It had 3 other codoms that were split by it, one giant one that would have finished the house off. I topped it to laterals about 8 years ago and it has not shown a dead twig and is lush and healthy. I have to inspect it for decay this spring. I literally risked my life doing that tree but the pay was good.

Do you guys wear spikes when topping/pollarding? If so, why when it is only some more injury.

What constitutes the need for turning a tree into a pollard and is there a consideration for age or size. I am sure target figures in.

Seems to me the need for this was initiated by separating the tree from the woods and allowing it to attain a decurrent form,

There are certainly city codes that demand your trees can only be x number of feet tall so as not to impede a neighbors view, like in La Jolla and other seaside cities.

Pollarding also makes good sense in high wind ridge top properties whose trees would otherwise be uprooted or fractured.

jomoco

My pollarding clients have small lots. If the mulberrys were to let go, they would encroach the house etc. These trees are screening elements ( two are between the fence and house hiding a highway) and also providing shade in the heat of summer on the south side of the houses. Being they are mulberrys, they leaf and branch out quickly with each pollarding. These two clients have the pollarding done every other year. Sucker growth is trimmed back each year.

Do you guys wear spikes when topping/pollarding? If so, why when it is only some more injury

Do you mean do all you guys in the whole of Europe wear spikes when topping/pollarding? Or world wide?

Sigh, what a stupid question, same old, same old.

Say, do you guys in London, England drive cars?

Back