This is unreal. What is going on?

Woodpecker. I'd guess pileated. Would indicate your tree was less than perfect. It's after the bugs inside. Welcome!

Yeah piliated woodpecker. Can't tell from the pic, but are the smaller holes square-ish? That would be a smoking gun. They're rare as hens teeth in my forests, but those big suckers work as hard as any logger.

Definitely agree about a pileated causing that hole but I’ve never seen one that low to the ground. That’s strange because basal rot is not uncommon but I’ve never seen woodpecker damage below 10’ of so.

Yep.
Crazily enough, they make their nesting cavities in them.
Beech is as hard as Madrone..

Yep.
Crazily enough, they make their nesting cavities in them.

If I recall correctly, they also excavate a new nesting cavity yearly, which benefits other species who make use of the abandoned cavities. Wood ducks for instance.

edit: By “they” I mean Pileated woodpeckers, I’m not familiar with any of the European varieties.

Last edited:
Definitely agree about a pileated causing that hole but I’ve never seen one that low to the ground. That’s strange because basal rot is not uncommon but I’ve never seen woodpecker damage below 10’ of so.

Nor have I, but judging by the size of the chips I’d be inclined to say it’s a pileated as well. Old timers here called them “Indian Hens”. The Ivory Billed was larger, but they’re all gone now. Habitat loss.

That's the first hole I've seen close to the ground, but once I saw a pileated berserking on a cut stump. I guess food overrides habit if the food source is good enough.

The Black will demolish anthills and dine on the larvae of the big forest ants.

Until a fungus steps in. Then you can dig the wood with your nails.
The woodpeckers bore the good plain wood only if they are motivated enough by a nice steak inside it. It's a conical hole, just big enough to reach the tunnel of said steak. But to excavate their nests, it would be an enormous work, not worth it at all. For that, they use the pockets of soft rotten wood. Beside maintaining their entrance hole (shrinking by the annual growth of the trunk), they don't touch the hard wood beyond the limit of the digested wood.

Back