what do ya think?

littlenick

TreeHouser
I think this is the right place to post this...

This past summer I worked with a local tree company. I mainly worked with the owner so I learned a lot from him. He has been in the tree company and landscaping company for 40 or so years. I really enjoyed working for him and running the saws.

I started thinking that I wanted to do this for the rest of my life. Before tree work I was in the lawn care and landscaping side of the green industry. I have always loved chainsaws and ripping through a huge log.

Here is what my plan is; I am going to work for a small tree company this year so I can learn a lot more. During the summer I am going to add to my equipment and tree gear as time goes on. I will buy a chip truck and chipper next spring. I will also get licensed and insured… I am going to get the study material within the next couple of weeks to be a ISA cert. arborist.

I am currently looking for a ½ ton or ¾ ton truck because this summer I will still be doing lawn care and landscaping; and a little bit of tree work. I only want to spend about $4000 or so on a truck because I would like to but a nice chip truck and a chipper next spring.

What are your thoughts? I am asking this because you guys had to of started some where…

Thanks,
Nick
Cincy, Oh

I worked 3 years for a friend of ours tree company. While I was working I saved my ass off. In year 2 I bought the mini skidsteer, and on days off I would do some side work. Ended up saving more, and bought a truck, while still working for him. Ended up saving even more, and bought the first chipper. Then I started my own gig, and now he calls me to climb for even more $.:)

Your younger than I was, I would work a few years with someone, and do your landscaping on weekends.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I worked 3 years for a friend of ours tree company. While I was working I saved my ass off. In year 2 I bought the mini skidsteer, and on days off I would do some side work. Ended up saving more, and bought a truck, while still working for him. Ended up saving even more, and bought the first chipper. Then I started my own gig, and now he calls me to climb for even more $.:)

Your younger than I was, I would work a few years with someone, and do your landscaping on weekends.

Thats what im planing to do...
Yea im still going to do all of that on the weekends. The tree company that I'm going to work for is pretty small and they have a good rep. in this area. I will have pretty flexible work hours..

Thanks for your post.
Nick

Arborworks is right too, get some sort of schooling. I went to a rinky dink community college, somethings better than nothing. I'm actually thinking about going back to finish, and take some other misc. classes. Maybe I'll go for hairdressing.:\:

im suprised someone would hire you to run a saw as that surely wouldnt be covered under the insurance at your age. goodonya for trying and making plans, hope you learn lots

Save money and work for the company, Go to college, even if its to say you did it. Start your company after college.

I am a sophomore in high school, next year I am going to go to a night collage for arboriculture. If you want to take collage classes in high school the state pays for them. So when im a senior in HS i will already have a degree in arboriculture. Then I am going to go to a community collage and study business, I will take the morning classes so I will have time in the afternoon for work…

im suprised someone would hire you to run a saw as that surely wouldnt be covered under the insurance at your age. goodonya for trying and making plans, hope you learn lots

The laws for OSHA are 15 and 1/2... thats why i mainly worked with the owner, i didn't run a saw too much, i mainly worked the ropes on the ground.

That cool, But I was more refering to the experience of College that you don't want to miss out on.

Company wise I would say start small, listen to everything that is being said about equipment and techniques, except for what squishy says!:P

Arborworks is right too, get some sort of schooling. I went to a rinky dink community college, somethings better than nothing. I'm actually thinking about going back to finish, and take some other misc. classes. Maybe I'll go for hairdressing.:\:

Hairdressing?? i would rather watch paint dry...

That cool, But I was more refering to the experience of College that you don't want to miss out on.

Company wise I would say start small, listen to everything that is being said about equipment and techniques, except for what squishy says!:P

Yea my company through collage will only be me and a buddy of mine.. Its not like i will be working 40 hours a week, just 15-20 or so..

15.5?! wow, i thought it was 18.
avoid partnerships, give him a cut per job but id stay away from having a partner

15.5?! wow, i thought it was 18.
avoid partnerships, give him a cut per job but id stay away from having a partner

I asked my boss when i worked for him and he said it was 15.5...

Yea partnerships in this industy are not good...unless your partner has millions to spent:lol::lol:

Sorry about that, its hard to tell if people are joking or not on the computer...

Again i misunderstood him...

Nick

Back