What Am I Doing Wrong?

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
First off, Thank you Stumper for giving me your old New Tribe saddle!!! Awesome!!! Thanks, Justin!

Now, my problem - when I hang from it, it wants to dump me over backwards! I need to hold my rope to sit upright. No matter how high or low I wear it, it still wants to dump me out.

Also, I assume the larger pear biner is the correct spot to clip into, right?

Anyone familiar with this of type saddle have any advice for me.

This is one of requests I fed back to New Tribe when I tried on my Onyx harness for the first time. They need to publish a pdf which tell you HOW to adjust the straps so you will hang properly. Unfortunately, not only does New Tribe provide only a paper copy of instructions when you buy the harness (IOW, no pdf download for reference), they do not provide enough adjustment information. It 's a great harness otherwise.

Michael

Butch when you are standing with the harness on, how far is the bottom of the leg pads from the crook of your knee?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's the original green work saddle, can't remember a name.

The leg pad is about 2" from the inside of my knee. I'm thinking it's hanging too low. Justin, how tall are you? It seems like they're adjusted for a tall person.

Butch,

I just checked the New Tribe site for the Onyx harness and see they in fact now have a pdf posted with adjustment instructions (wish I checked back sooner for this). Kudos to New Tribe for updating this this info. I don't know which model you have from the description, but take a look at the Onyx instructions and see if they will help. Here is a link: http://newtribe.com/documents/ONYX USER GUIDE 9-10-2013 with warranty.pdf

-Michael

Is this yours? If so, is everything arranged like in the pic? Are you clipping into the delta/pear link where the black arrow is pointing?

ness.jpg

Butch, I am 6'1". The Saddle is the Vi Special=A precursor to the ProGear which has small side Ds. If I clipped into the center D the balance always seemed Top-heavy so -Yes the pear is proper to clip into but you are going to have to play with things to get balanced correctly.

I don't know about some of the new saddles today, but many of the old ones I know would flip you over backwards if you went limp in them. I seen a guy whose saddle slipped under his knees and he was hanging upside-down. He had a heck of a time getting himself upright again.

I told him, "Now you know what those leg straps are for." Could of been a case of suspension trauma there.

Are there more adjustments on the Vi Special compared to other NT saddles? My tengu doesnt have any adjustments to speak of, yet it fits perfectly and no flipping backwards.

Yes, Eric - that's the saddle. Man, this has always been my dream saddle and now I don't know what to do. I just tried it again after shorting up the legstraps and no go... it still dumps me backwards. Shit!

Post of pic.... something doesnt sound right to me. I cant believe that your saddle flips you backwards when my Tengu does nothing like that. I know the feeling tho. If I clip into the lower D of my Nikosi, I will flip backwards. but thats an entire different design.

Dont give up on NT yet.

I don't know about some of the new saddles today, but many of the old ones I know would flip you over backwards if you went limp in them. I seen a guy whose saddle slipped under his knees and he was hanging upside-down. He had a heck of a time getting himself upright again.

I told him, "Now you know what those leg straps are for." Could of been a case of suspension trauma there.

...years ago there was a pic in the Rhode Island newspapers...climber upside down in a Pine, saddle and pants at his ankles , Stuck ! ...Poor bastard got rescued by the Fire Dept

I have a Pro Gear just like that. When I first got it I wore it like I did my harness before it...which was too low. Wearing it too low made it chafe and rub the skin off at my hip. I called New Tribe and they told me that the Pro harness is made to ride "high"...basically over the hips.

That made a big difference for me...all has been good since I started wearing it at my waist rather than low on my hips.

See if that helps.

This dang dog wears it better than me!

x0r81h.jpg

I have a Pro Gear just like that. When I first got it I wore it like I did my harness before it...which was too low. Wearing it too low made it chafe and rub the skin off at my hip. I called New Tribe and they told me that the Pro harness is made to ride "high"...basically over the hips.

That made a big difference for me...all has been good since I started wearing it at my waist rather than low on my hips.

See if that helps.

Im new to this but had the same problem with my pro gear. The little instruction sheet that comes with the pro gear actually says to have it at navel height. Mine felt like it was crushing my hips at my pants line lol.

Back