What Am I Doing Wrong?

The straps going from the D's to the pear link look super long. That could be the problem. Can you shorten those up?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Im new to this but had the same problem with my pro gear. The little instruction sheet that comes with the pro gear actually says to have it at navel height. Mine felt like it was crushing my hips at my pants line lol.

EXACTLY...I, too, felt like my hips were being crushed.

Have you verified from the User Guide (or a picture of the harness) that everything looks the way it should from the factory ? Leg straps not too short or long ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've tried them in three length adjustments, longer is better but I still can't sit in it w/o hanging on for dear life to my rope.

Try taking the pear link out and tying knots in that webbing to shorten them up. Or just twist the shite out of them. I really think that's the problem.

I wonder what you are calling a "sliding" D? Ain't none of this set-up 'sliding.'

From the picture of Rover in the harness, it looks like the Pear biner is connected to a D ring that is attached to the slides along the bridge strap which is attached to the leg straps.

But after some thought, I wonder if adding the extra space here would make things worse for you...

This bites a big one. I really thought this saddle was gonna be the Bee's knees. :(

On both of my NT saddles, the attachment point is much closer to my stomach than what yours is showing. I really think those side straps are too long.

Thanks Gary for asking me to chime in here. That saddle is a piece of New Tribe history, and so am I. Caveat: Since nylon degrades over time whether it is used or not, seven years is the retirement age for New Tribe saddles unless they show wear/damage before then. That said:

This User Guide will help with old Vi Special, ProGear and Work saddles http://newtribe.com/documents/BASIC%20SADDLE%20USER%20GUIDE%2010-21-13.pdf

Wear at the waist, not the hip. If you wear the belt too low you will tip backwards. Tie in to the pear screw link.

Only two adjustments: waist cinch strap to make it snug on your torso, and rear butt straps to position the leg straps up or down your thighs where balance and comfort are best.

Is it the right size for you? If it is too large you will tip backwards. Even with a good fit per the measurement chart, some people will always have a balance problem if their upper body is heavy. I hate it when that happens.

Sizing in inches
Waist at navel (not your pants size): 26-32 Small, 33-35 Medium, 36-40 Large
Top of thigh: 18-21 Small, 21-24 Medium, 24-27 Large

Before size tags, we indicated size by color of fabric wrap on belt eyes, and on leg strap bridge
Small-forest green
Medium-olive green
Large-black
Belt and leg strap sizes can be mixed/matched, so check both belt and leg colors.

Good luck, Butch!

--Sophia

Welcome to the TreeHouse, Sophia!

It says large and fits OK and I wear it as high up as I can get it and it still dumps me backwards.

Butch, this may or may not help. I've got a ProGear II. The sizing advice I got was: the two waist loops should just meet at the Q-link. If they pass each other then the saddle is to large. If they don't meet then the saddle is too small.

I'm guessing, by your posts, that the saddle (by those criterion) is too large. You might be able to shorten them with some tricks like sewing or adding buckles. Or, drink LOTS of beer.

Well, you're probably past that point, by now ... :drink::drink::drink:

When I cinch it up, there's about 3" of play left. The saddle is the right size. :drink:

3" ... sounds like too much. You might have to break down and post a pic of it on with you weighted on the rope. :drink:

I'm 'bout in tears... this was the legstrap saddle I've always wanted. I love those wide, fat pads!

You're just too developed above your waist relative to below, Butch. Noazzatal has bit you :D.

Never a problem like yours with my several New Tribes, on me or any other climber I have met that has one. Wear it high, and leave the rear leg straps long. Once you load it up, take a sec to pull the leg pads as far down towards your knees as possible. Sit with your knees elevated a bit.

Well foo. Sorry it isn't balancing you well. I had a little tendency to tip but it wasn't overwhelming. Perhaps you need a medium or at least medium leg straps. I dunno.

I don't see how the size of the pads would affect my balance. They DO work better lower...

I'm still playing with it.

Back