Welders? Any welders on this site?

I've seen guys who made their own toolboxes on beds, and for locks they used a special bolt or allen screw mounted in a pipe. You could make it with a 2 foot extension even, which is virtually impossible for a theif to open. I've also seen guys that had the lids wired into the key fob to unlock. Just in case you have upcoming projects....

Fuel savings if I am making less trips for fuel. The dingo only uses about 2.5 - 5 gallon per day. John Deere, about 5. Chipper 5-8. Trucks use more.
Every time I need to make a trip to get fuel, count on 10-15.00 per trip. Just to get it. Need to fill up the truck every 2 days. If I could save a trip just by having on board fuel.... Stretch an extra day or two between trips. Pretty substantial over the year.

I've seen guys who made their own toolboxes on beds, and for locks they used a special bolt or allen screw mounted in a pipe. You could make it with a 2 foot extension even, which is virtually impossible for a theif to open. I've also seen guys that had the lids wired into the key fob to unlock. Just in case you have upcoming projects....
Sadly, battery angle grinders make most security measures defeatable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
1/6" rod makes you look like you have Parkinson's disease. I avoid them like the plague. But one hand on the stinger and the other near the hot end of the rod helps.

Make sure you don't breathe any fumes from stainless. Got a livestock fan? I think it is the chromium that is bad. Not that any fumes are good.

My mechanic bud in town welds up stock cheap stainless exhaust with regular steel wire feed. Seems to work fine.

Just a box fan. Thanks for the reminder :thumbup:
Im going to fab up most of what i am fixing on the concrete andnot under the truck. Then install. Levi's down pipes and cat first. Then we'll shop a muffler he wants and run the tube out before axle most likely.
Mine, the bed is getting swapped. So i'll probably run over axle. But that will save me trying to weld under vehicle quite a bit.

I've recently met a guy who ruined his 30-year sound engineering career by soldering without adequate ventilation.

What's the entry price for a decent ventilated welding helmet?

A box fan. Ventilated hoods have their place, but it's an engineering control of a hazard that could just as easily be done with common sense. How did he hurt himself soldering?

Dunno. Fumes.

What about shielding gas getting blown around? How do you manage this?

How are fumes on the pipeline, etc, working outside the shop, in calm air?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Vented hoods are $$$ $1,000.00 easy. Up to several grand.
A resparator is much cheaper and safer than just a fan but a fan works wonders.

Well, stick welding tolerates wind, tig and mig don't at all. If you aren't smart enough to move your head out of the smoke when welding, i don't know what to say. I don't do a ton of copper, but I've done enough to be very interested in how an engineer somehow hurt himself doing it, especially so bad he can't work as an engineer anymore. From what I've seen, you can be a quadriplegic and still be an engineer, hell you can even be on a ventilator. I can't even fathom how that can happen.

If you are mig welding, it needs to be clean. That means zero rust or mill scale, zero paint and oil. You need to be in the flat position, inside a shop, with the proper gases and settings, which are hard for single phase machines to hit. Mig is designed for that, production settings with the ability to manhandle parts. Yes you can do out of position with it, if you are good enough to know how and are running dual shield, but no structural welds are ever done (correctly) with hard wire out of position.

Ventilated hoods start to make sense in some production settings where guys are doing very heavy welding all day, which are honestly being replaced by robots more and more. As a guy welding on random stuff, often in position, usually making repairs on painted and rusty stuff outside, you need to be stick welding, which will tolerate a fan no problem. This is why they still are stick welding on almost every construction site on earth, it excels at doing xray quality deposits in all but the worst conditions. Mig or tig simply cannot be used like that, you have to control the environment fully. It is very common practice for certain pipes that have tig welding as part of the procedure to literally build scaffolding all around a field weld, and then wrap it in tarps to make it the same as doing it inside. Pipeline even goes so far (on big jobs using mig robots) as lowering a small hutch around the joint, where you have a temperature controlled environment to work in, so no wind can blow the shielding gases away.

Damn near every bit of welding I do is outside. All I have is stick. If I am lucky it fits in the carport on level concrete, awesome. If not, I am out in open air, on bare dirt and there is probably a breeze.
I did copper with torch and brazing copper with torch in the plumbing trade for years. Never really wanted to inhale flux anyway.
Never an issue. Never used a fan. Mostly out doors or framed. Sometimes down in a hole. Arms depth.
WTF was that dude doing?

Interesting.
I have a How to Weld book to crack.

Idk.
Sound engineering for very high-end recording artists requires a very sharp mind, as i hear it.

Oh, i thought you meant engineer, does math type. Did he get lead poisoning or something?

Back