Welders? Any welders on this site?

I bet it's an ao Smith then, which they stopped making in the 90s. They're selling for over 500 on ebay. I'm pretty sure the only new production ones are made today are made by aulektro, which is German i think. They use them to make wens lens and stuff, but I've only seen gold plated ones. I always thought the plating was for heat reflection mainly, but I've never used a silver one. I guess they make silver ones too, I've just never used one, the gold ones that I've used are just the bluest blue I've ever seen with amazing clarity. If yours ever breaks and you need to buy one I've been ordering mine from outlaw leather, they do amazing leather work too, that's where i got my arm pad.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lol yeah both wendys and sarges builds very similar hoods. Trust me, once you try one you won't go back. Rather than clamping down on your head it fits like a pair of goggles. No drifting up or down as the suspension wears, no light coming in from anywhere, no nodding your head to drop it, no more neck pain because the cog is so close to your face that it's not torquing your neck. Add an auto lens if you want, i even had a journeymen ecq adjustable one in it but i didn't like changing batteries. I forgot to mention i use the pancake on hardhat hood jobs too, with the autodark it's no big deal to just adjust the strap and wear it right under there. You guys will never need to deal with that, but yeah it matters to me.

I would stick to 2 x 4 lens size hoods, a bigger window does nothing but add weight. You are watching the puddle not the entire room. Also if you use reading glasses you need to get a cheater lens, I'm only 39 but it's helping me already. All this stuff adds up weight, while you guys aren't welding all day everyday it still will cause strain, especially once you gotta start cramming you head in spots, crawling up under stuff.
For me I am near sided and when welding I look over my glasses and a bigger window helps. The 2x4 lens is limiting for me as I had to have the bottom of the hood a good was away from my face and got a lot of reflected arc under the hood. I do want to pick up a pancake for outside repairs.

My 2x4 is the only cobalt plate I have. It was my father’s so it’s hard to tell how old it is. They’re expensive if you can even find them. My silver ones are 4.5 x5.25., closest to cool blue I’ve found but I haven’t really looked for any.

That's one of the best things about a pancake, no glasses at all and they still protect better. No reflected light at all, all you see is the puddle. So much less eye strain. If you wear rx glasses you can get a really small frame pair and carve out enough room for them, or if at welding distance you don't need them just don't wear them while you are welding. The first thing I'm doing when I'm done is grabbing my glasses, especially outside. I haven't seen the big E at the eye doctor since before high school, but i normally just wear contacts so my pancake fits super snug to be comfy and block out light. I went deep where my nose sits so it's more comfy there, but that's the only little light leakage spot. If i gotta wear my glasses i just switch back to my fibermetal pipeliner with a sellstrum flip front for it.

The trick with those hoods are to get the billet al friction knobs on Amazon for 20 bucks and cut the hood down with a grinder so they don't hit on your chest, or even more so it's lighter. Then you got a good hood that'll stand up to about anything. I still use one if I'm working in a fab shop with people working everywhere doing hard mig welding where the silica glass will pop off in your eyes, or as a helper because it's more protective and comfortable than a grinding shield imo. Outlaw leather even sells them all cut down with flaps of leather bolted on so you can cram your face in a corner between stuff and rain fire. Too heavy for my tastes but it's far better than a sock hood. In my experience roughly half of all the pipefitters wear a fibermetal pipeliner, which i think would work well for your glasses since they are spacious but really block stuff.

Thanks for the advise! I don’t need to wear my glasses up close so sounds like a win win.

The first time I was married my then father-in-law worked at an advertising firm. FiberMetal was one of their accounts. They sent him four welding helmets for photos for ads. They said ‘lose them’ when the photos were done, so he gave them to me. They were big and heavy - gave them away over the years. Now have a no-name auto-darkening lid.
I’ve seen someone using the pancake style.

Pipeline welders are the only ones that normally wear them, they're definitely not common. But they are damn near perfect imo :D Fibermetal does have some massive sized ones too, the tiger hood comes to mind.

I know which hood I don't want, my 28 year old Morsafe that weighs a ton and won't stay up.:X

Quick project for today was a gn trailer spotter upgrade for my Kubota bucket. Found a perfectly shaped piece of angle, didn't even have to trim it. Any guesses on process, amperage, wire/rod etc.? Hint, it wasn't Kyles favorite machine, the 115 volt MIG.:/: 20220404_143729.jpg

543A990A-C643-4212-8936-9833262B13C6.jpeg 110E84FD-8F15-48C4-8FE2-CD6F9C88F4F3.jpeg
The Chadha Arbor Tank is born more pics to follow as work progresses. Think Arbor Trolly but with beef lots of beef! 2x2x1/4”square tube axel, 2000lb hubs each side, nine inch wide tires, 1.5x1.5x3/16” tube frame/bunk, man power handle, and 48” overall width. At a guess about 120 pounds.

I wouldn't worry about the chain and binder too much, i haven't really needed one on the arbor trolley too often. Maybe just some eyes so you could do a rachet strap once a year

Good point.
I am leaning toward some type of tie down when I am using it with the mini pulling out logs. But I am thinking a D and a grab hook. 1/4” chain. Maybe. Not sure yet.

So I’m contemplating possible names for the Arbor Tank.
The Log Jammer,
The Log Manager,
The Wizard of Log,
The Raj Coats,
Reggie,
Wheelie Skid,
Heavy SOB,
Logporter.
Any other names jump out at you guys/gals?

Back