Welders? Any welders on this site?

Some of those old buzz boxes with copper windings didn't need a cooling fan .However because of the age sometimes replacing parts can be a task finding them .In addition to what I have in my shop I inherited my dads old Marquette 200 amp that came over on the Mayflower .That damned thing was really screwed up .It's a wonder the old man didn't electrocute himself .I found the no longer available parts on flea bay and because it's small works out good in my garage at the house .It's a heavy pot licker even if it doesn't take up much room, copper windings .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Update I'm going say 99% done.

Attachments

• 20210317_100147.jpg
    20210317_100147.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • 20210317_100121.jpg
    20210317_100121.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
Initiative and weather permitting, I stretch the air coiled hose out the side door of the shop and try to spray the oily chips out into the lawn, but inevitably some back splatter onto me and the inside of the open door.

Clever idea, hope it works to full potential.

? Are you asking if you can get something decent for cheap? If so the answer is definitely yes, especially if you are willing to rebuild stuff

Initiative and weather permitting, I stretch the air coiled hose out the side door of the shop and try to spray the oily chips out into the lawn, but inevitably some back splatter onto me and the inside of the open door.

Clever idea, hope it works to full potential.
Thanks! It works well.
It was the posted roads and boredom that inspired me to make it.

Any cheap welders any good.
I wish I was of more help but I shop with the philosophy of "how many times do you want to buy it". Meaning you can buy top of the line and have it last many years or buy cheap and buy several over the years. Miller, Lincoln, Esab, Hypertherm, and Victor is about all I would consider for metal working.
"Good cheap" is a quality used unit IMO.

Yes that is a consideration. However I haven't seen anything around worth buying. I was more interested by the cheap welders on Amazon.

Thanks

? Are you asking if you can get something decent for cheap? If so the answer is definitely yes, especially if you are willing to rebuild stuff

Are welding supplies running short in your neck of the woods? My medium size shop was short stocked and sent me down the road to they competition who gouged me a tad. Apparently motorcycle prices have risen too due the supply/demand.

Haven't noticed, i rarely need them anymore. I have no kidding probably over 1k pounds of welding rod kicking around here, plenty of consumables like grinding wheels (buy quality in bulk), and they don't even stock the stuff i prefer usually. I buy almost everything online, some of it is from a handful of mom and pop shops that sell nationwide like stumpfs or bw parts out of Arizona or something. Wendys pancake hoods or original pancake hood brand are both quality and i use both. Flip hoods get either a huntsman (490p if using a cheap lens) or fibermetal (pipeliner is the best), i like the pipeliner cut down and a flap of leather added. Outlaw leather out of Texas sells them already cut and leathered although heavier than i like (i use one of their arm pads, it's awesome). Amazon is ok for some stuff, as are sites like cyberweld.

Bottles are a different story, the best way to do them is to just bite the bullet, ignore the dipshit salesmen and buy the super large ones, ideally 2 oxygen to 1 acetylene. The salesmen will tell you that you can't buy them, but that simply means that you won't buy them from him. If you do buy bottles from a supply store and they exchange them, often you can only exchange them at that store, and they charge a maintenence fee that is 5 times the cost to test and certify them. Go online or to an auction and buy a few big bottles and be done with it. Find a place that will take your bottles, test if needed, fill them, and then you go pick them up again in a few days. You might need enough bottles so you always have some (stopping a project is very annoying), or if you tend to do large projects all at once then nothing for awhile you can rent them too. It should cost about 20 bucks every 5 years to have them tested and dot stamped, and they will usually last your lifetime. I've used bottles that actually had nazi stamps on them from the 40s, I'll see if i can find the pics.

To add to the bottle purchase. I bought my bottles from Praxair before they were Praxair in Milwaukee. Then I moved out of the city and Airgas is the closest and they will swap out my bottles. So I am just paying for gas when I exchange.

If only that old girl could talk. All the cool stuff that it has built all the different people who have beaten something on it's surface.

Sadly no, but I really want one. I bought the anvil at an estate sale for a good price a few years back and didn't have the space for it. A rosebud works for now.

Back