Why is this a bad idea?

We had a newer one as well, later in my time with the Forest Service. It had rubber tracks and a big white HD poly dump barrow on it. I never was on a job with that one, but I heard it was a good machine as well. No idea what brand it was, sadly. If I saw one I'd probably recognize it, but in a quick google search I didn't see it.

I think, when I priced the Giant telescoping loader, it was just under 40k back when. Not long ago.. sure it probably went up. But. That was with duals, extra weight, hitch set up, bucket. Same mount plate as the dingo so we could use all the same stuff with out shelling more out. I don't remember if I asked for a BMG with that.

When my mini had issues this spring I priced a new one (similar size) and was quoted $35k with a tooth bucket. A mini with a bucket is basically the same as the tracked dumper but way more versatile.

I was trying to think of where that would be perfect, but I'm drawing a blank. I bet it's worth that money to someone though. Hard to imagine they could make money building a machine for whatever tiny niche needs that thing.

Did yall spot the seat? It is a ride on toy, so that means a premium.

The situations where you need that thing, nothing else will do. Looks very suited to concrete in tight spots. Ten years ago, when there wasn't a pump truck on the mountain, that thing woulda been worth it and then some.

Better than a mini you think?
The power barrow would be badass for trail building. You could build a good sized bunk for chips on that thing and move some yardage. Gravel gets heavy real quick yardage wise.
But IMO a mini is what you seek for tree work. I did move 80+/- yards of dirt with my third yard bucket, 8 billion trips later but it got done. And not to tweek my bean too hard but I got pretty damn good at back dragging. :lol:

I was considering doing something similar with the ride on tracked trenchers, they kept having a ton of them at the auction and they didn't bring that much. I was just going to remove the trencher part and add loader arms, tada redneck mini.

I see these power buggies on concrete jobs. Looks stout but pricey! I seem to remember @Tree09 was looking at these for inspiration for a Frankenstein project.. Kyle, feel free to correct my weak memory!

Those are comparatively simple, they just have a forward/backward setup powering a differential and steer with the single wheel. I was hoping to do the same, but rather than building it so stuff is loaded on top i was planning basically a powered ride on log arch, which would be able to carry massive loads because the center of gravity is inside the wheels. I was also planning on adding a smaller loader arm that would stick out the front, so i would be able to handle brush and feed the chipper with it kinda like a mini bell loader. I had decided that it would be best to use hydraulics so you could steer it like a zero turn for feeding and have a hydraulic grapple, I've got some parts for it so I'm still in the collecting phase. It's still in the possibility of me building it but i really wanna see how well the chipper winch works first, and with better winches to really use it to its capabilities, the sailboat winch isn't really built for that heavy of use and dedicated winches would be much more productive and durable.

I could do a simple powered capstan powered by the big diesel engine and run rope like i designed it for, but I've lined up a transfer case which i could use to do a full on interlocking winch drums, basically making it an actual yarder running wire rope stored on drums. The ride on machine would be far more versatile, but doing better winches would mean i come with everything by just showing up with the chipper, and i think would be able to move material pretty well. I've got some trailer axles that might become a much bigger log arch, which would allow me to winch the biggest logs in and return the arch under power, my small arch already works well but it's small. With a few open sided pulleys i could ground lead all over the place, allowing it to work in backyards too, places i couldn't get to easily. Hydraulics on the chipper could also power a small grapple loader attachment on the boom (way down the road), so i would be able to feed the chipper under power too. A mini would still likely be better, but i won't spend 50k on all this and more, so it suits me with my goals.

Yes a mini is likely the way to go, until you move up to bigger and better equipment. Yes minis are overpriced compared to other similar machinery, mainly because they are super super handy so everyone wants one. For a small time operation, likely only doing trees part time (i fit that description too), i think it's ok to get stuff that is cheaper up front so there's no necessity of working it. Yes getting a loan and buying equipment you can't afford at the moment is usually the best idea because you greatly increase your productivity thus paying for the equipment easily, but there's nothing wrong with being small and owning it all. The tasks can be completed by all sorts of different methods, mini, mini articulated loader, carts behind tractors or by hand, cranes, small truck with a crane, a mini forwarder, winches, etc; each has their pluses and minuses. If you get a mini you also need a truck to pull it, a trailer (likely a dump one so you can unload) to haul it around with, etc. You basically guess which you think would fit your location and operation and go from there, if you're doing nothing but high end houses with nice yards requiring zero damage, backyards where you can't get into with stuff (likely your current niche since you climb and all your competitors are mechanized), maybe a mini isn't right for you. It's right most of the time for most people, but that doesn't necessarily mean you, and figuring out other ways to move stuff for less money up front is usually worth exploring imo, especially if you're part time and don't want a loan.

Get some cash saved up, go hit some auctions, and buy used if money is tight, or learn to weld and you can build stuff too. I bought an arbor trolley and built a small log arch, and with my backyard climb trees it worked fine for most jobs, bigger ones i rented a mini. Now with my winch setups on my chipper and trailer i think most trees would become quick and easy, and all i need to do is grab the chipper and I'm good to go, no extra trips needed on smaller jobs, no payments to make, and a different tool that i can use to do stuff that others can't do with a mini. It's more versatile for me with my needs, being able to act as a crane while building stuff, lifting water heaters and water softners in and out of my basement, i even unloaded my lathe with it, no mini around could have done that. For my needs and my situation it's a viable alternative, yes a mini would be cool but i can't afford one, and I'm not getting a loan because the last thing my wife would need is a mini payment if my cancer comes back. For me getting a loan to get a mini isn't in the cards, so I'm gonna go do plan B and make it happen the hard way.

I have a dream!

One of a mini excavator hacked apart!

Take the tracks and subframe and make a micro dozer for yarding smallish logs out of the woods. Take from the turret up, to mount on the back of a pickup with a grapple for loading a trailer.

Both halves of the mini ex are put to good use, and proof of concept could be done with a cheap Chinese one! Like a Neoman or the like!

Back