WalMart Bar Oil

The problem isn't the jug, it's how you were taught to open the jug. Instead of peeling off all the foil I just cut a slit in it with the scrench. This allows me to pour a skinnier flow and I don't spill as much. In colder weather you just make the slit wider, but in the summer the skinny slit makes pouring much easier.

Try a fluid transfer pump from the auto parts store, 5 bucks or so. Screws right on top then pump like the mega ketchup bottle....no spill:D

I remember being amazed when I first saw someone open a gallon jug like that, but it's been probably 10 years or so. I thought most old timers knew that one.

Gonna put it in the rotator? I don't think I have any pics in the rotator yet. :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool idea Brian. One of the tree service I used to work for used to get a 50 gallon drum of bar oil and then fill up cleaned out laundry soap jugs with those no-spill tops. They worked really well.

Gonna put it in the rotator? I don't think I have any pics in the rotator yet. :D

I'd like to, but the saw isn't the right color. :P

And your in the rotator at least two times!

Does the sharp end of a file do it? Or do you need a knife to make a clean slit?

That is a cool idea............if you want to spend all day pouring your bar oil :P !!

JK'ing I'm gonna give it a try!8)

I personally buy poulan or stihl, used to get a bargain on the stihl and I still got some from a couple years ago. I think i even got some gray bottles yet.

At work we used to use Stihl in the summer and Stihl's winter blend in the winter. We also used poulan in the summer. Now we got some even cheaper stuff. Its almost black, like dirty motor oil, smells like 90wt and is really thin. I can tell I wear out bars and stretch out chains quicker now. I don't think I have filed a 200t chain all the way back yet, most of the time they break, but a few I have stretched out beyond adjustment.

I never remember breaking as many chains on the poulan/stihl stuff. I broke a 24" chain on my 440 a few weeks ago, it was almost new. Didn't hit anything, just broke in the middle of a cut.

I have used a wide variety of oils. Motor oil, used motor oil, cheap bar oil, and premium bar oil, the whole nine yards. I use stihl oil now becasue the way i see it, I'm at the stihl dealer fairly often. For things like chains, bars, saws, parts, and so on. Its convienient for me to grab a bunch of what is right in front of me than to make seperate trips, burning gas and time, to go to wal-mart to save a few bucks. I have nothing against wal-mart oil, its just a matter of whats easier for me.

Chris

Now Im confused... Which oil should I buy? Walmart? Sears? Stihl? or something from ACE hardware? What about the 2 cases of oil I have now? What should I do with them if they are the wrong brand? Next, what should I open the proper brand of oil with? A scwrench or a file tang? If the answer is a file tang, what size file? If the answer is a scwrench, does it matter what country it is made in? If I have to go out & buy any of this, should I bring it home in paper or plastic? Please answer back ASAP because I have to go out & cut in the morning...Sleepless in PA.

P.S. I'll be over in the oil mix thread trying to get that mess straightened out...Rick

i've used Walmart oil for years without incident. It was better before they changed it about 4 years ago. i slit the foil on opposite side of foil than the handle in the gallon size and maybe a pin breather on handle side; probably like Brian. i find it a snug fit in a borrowed milk crate with a 2.5 gas can; that has a backup scwrench with old throwline laced through handle in a round turn. On the other side of the throwline; i have an empty 2.5 Stihl orange 2 cycle (to show that it is 2 cycle, so i write 2 cycle on it after paper fades)bottle for the gas cap. In the slanted part i put a hole; push the throwline thru to reeve through to outside the neck/opening. Then tie a stopper knot and draw it back in to the hole. The hole is a lil loose for breathing/not swelling the plastic 'can'; but small enough to jam the stopper knot.

Walmart isn't as tacky as some; but i jsut butter the bar more if using large bar. i've had maybe 2 oil pump problems in a decade.

i've never posted an avatar hear, yet had many fine wons.

Back