"v" notch

• Thread starter discgolfborist
  • Start date
  • Replies 134
  • Views 14K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
knotahippie says waz up to you all. his comp. got trashed.

Thanks, Dave.
I've never dealt with Wesspur before, guess it's time to start.

A climber who worked for me about 5 years ago would notch the spar for his rigging rope to rig blocks down where there was no natural rigging point. He was used to working without a block and sling. As you can guess it was real hard on the rope and I would assume somewhat dangerous, but he said that he never had lost one yet. It was also quite time consuming.

Thanks, Burnham.
Wesspur only has it in steel, and when you are my age, you don't want to drag any unneseccary weight up the trees:
I'll get an aluminum one from Rescuesource.

Yeah, you old guys really need to watch how much weight you're packing around. LOL

It must be hard for companies like WesSpur to carry what customers want without selling them something that doesn't comply with the ANSI standards. Pretty sure that is why they went to steel. It passes with flying colors; I think some of the aluminum ones are a bit shy.

Dave

Skwerl yanked a spar over with his climb line today.

I had to scold him severely for not damaging anything or getting injured while using a vital piece of gear for such a lowly task.

Its okay. Skwerl is a bucket baby now. He doesn't need a climbing line-it is just a spar yanking line.:P

My bucket escape line is 5/16 Sta-Set. I am so naughty for depending on a 3400 lb tensile double braid rope to support me when leaving the bucket in mid-air.

Stephen. That could be dangerous-BW has a low melting point-if I were to rap out too fast and stop in the descent it might drop me.

Yep, really low melting point. Beeline or HRC would be better if you're worried about ANSI, Tech 12 would be a cheaper option.

I just use my climbing line.

I know of 3 climbers in the last 3 years in Washington State alone that died when their line rolled out of the notch they cut. One of the notches was 4" deep. I myself have 13 screws and a 8" titanium plate in my left ankle because I rapped down a bull line instead of a climbing line. I was lucky to live through that one.

4" strikes me funny. Not doubting anthing at all, just seems odd. I've rapp'd down out of trees on FAAARRRRR less than 4 inches of stub many times and never had the least bit of trouble. maybe I'm heading towards a learning lesson? But, I can say I have never rapp'd don out of a v notch either and so maybe things are much different in a notch.

I'd sure like to know the story on that one too. Probably never will though as the guy is dead. I just saw the picture printed in the Tree Worker mag that showed the top of the tree with the notch cut in it. It was deep enough I never would have thought something could have come out, but it did.

TY for the info on the black widow. I had not looked at all the product info. I was not aware of the low melting point. I appreciate you guys telling me about it.

I'd be interested to hear your story sean, I understand if you don't want share it though

I know of one local incident of a guy falling because he notched the spar, then mid way down stopped to do something (pull a hanger?) and stood up a little, and because his rope was wet and frozen it came out of the notch and he fell. Bady injured but nothing a hospital stay didn't fix.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've followed this thread for a few days and the general concencous of the members is right up with how I feel about the technique. I've cut notches to rappel out and rounded the corners to soften the edges and on the shallow notches set a friction saver. Man after a long day in the spurs that last descent using the climbline is so much nicer than pounding your shins and ankles. Though when I was much younger I prided myself with all the hardcore aspects. And I'm paying for it now.

:whine: i think it was the shins and ankles thing 'cause he came down slow and steady. We preped twelve 100'-120' reds for the crain the next day.

discgolfborist, if you are going to be posting at a tree work site, you have to learn the proper spelling for the word, crane. :)

With your DdRT setup, choke your line off with your biner, then run the tail of your rope back through the biner. Tend the tail of your rope and your knot at the same time. This way, you can come down on your DdRT set-up without binding up your friction hitch and when you get to the ground, you can pull the whole set up back down to you.

Or spike down.

Back