Tsunami warning

Paul B

I dig hammocks.
Wake up Jay!
@news1130radio "The quake off Japan is 7.4 magnitude. Tsunami warning after it struck around 2:30 a.m. at a depth of 10 kilometres."

Hope its a false alarm!

Wow, first I've heard about it. Thanks Paul! No surfing today! No joke really, a couple years ago an entire coastal village was leveled up in Hokaido. It happened late at night when most people were in bed, and a total wipeout. :O I don't believe that any survivor has chosen to rebuild.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
nah, apparently it was no big deal. especially to the west coast.
J, just looking out for ya bro. :) Dont forget, USGS has a website that you can sign up for earthquake alerts if you are wanting to keep up on info.

That is good to know, Paul! Haven't been watching the news too much lately, the place is going down in flames while politicians fight with each other, that is what they mainly show. :(

That is good to know, Paul! Haven't been watching the news too much lately, the place is going down in flames while politicians fight with each other, that is what they mainly show. :(

Good to know it is no different over there. I have always (obviously misguided),had the idea that it was more civilized in Japan. I guess a politition is a politition is a politition no matter where you live !

Steve

Well, some of them fight better than others.
Watching those fat boys in Ukraine "fight" was kinda painful:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nHqdMQxjRqQ?fs=1&hl=da_DK"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nHqdMQxjRqQ?fs=1&hl=da_DK" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Some improvement in some areas, Willie, like temporary housing and programs to assist those that were strongly affected. The nuclear disaster is still very much that. Some areas they say that perhaps in five years people could return, other locations closer in, they aren't venturing a guess. Stuff on the news about cleanup at the reactor site and other areas. The reactors themselves, a touchy subject. Photos of scraping off the topsoil on school grounds, etc. They get old people to do it, since they are going to die in the not too distant future anyway. What they are going to do with all that soil is a real problem. A lot of things they still don't know what they are going to do. While they are scraping off the soil, fresh and still contaminated soil is washing down the hillsides. Much you don't know what is going on, and it is probably a safe bet that what you don't know can probably kill you. All in all, the country is moving forward in respects, but much tragedy is in the wake and not disappearing. I heard on the news yesterday that in some areas, mushroom collectors shouldn't even think about it. Woodwork is slowsville, tree work too.

People that weren't affected are forgetting.

So, they don't want you to mess with trees and shit, but it's OK to handle processed lumber?

Nah, it doesn't make sense.

What is truly sad about the nuclear aspect of the occurrence is that it should have never happened. The power company was arrogant, and funds that should have gone to a safer set up based on current standards, went to bigger salaries and other perks for the people running the operation. No doubt there was some under the table cahoots going on with politicians as well. There was historical precedent for a tsunami hitting the area before. Then the regulatory agency which is supposed to be overseeing the entire nuclear power industry, was merely another government agency itself, and people would be going back and forth in employment between the power companies and regulatory agency, right under the noses of the elected officials. All having lunch together? It all came out in a big thick report that was on the news for about one day, the reason what happened, happened, after the waves came in. The politicians all called in sick that day. From the next day on, you didn't even hear about it. It was crazy to see such important blatant condemning information disappear so quickly from the media, the people capable of making that happen, really rose to the occasion. It pretty clearly shows the extremes that corruption can lead to. It is coming up to election time, so the same people are all one big smiley face saying how hard they want to work for the good of the country.

Back