Truck engine problems WCV

That seems like a lot of fuel. How far did you have to drive? My crane is a tandem Ford Louisville and working local with it running all day I'll use about 10 gallons.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That seems like a lot of fuel. How far did you have to drive? My crane is a tandem Ford Louisville and working local with it running all day I'll use about 10 gallons.

I drove about 160 miles, about half of it towing the chipper the rest solo and ran about 3 hours working the boom.

This is getting kind of embrassing but, here goes. I left a nut or washer or something in the intake manifold while I was changing the fuel pump or when I removed the manifold and changed a fuel line. So 2 days after I ran my truck the washer or whatever it was went into the engine and started making some really bad noises. It beat the top of the piston up a little and put a notch in the intake valve seat and probably bent both the intake and exhaust valves. We had to remove the engine from the truck and take off one head and take it in to the machine shop as my cousin didn't have the tool to remove the valve seat on this particular motor. This was done way back in the end of January or early February when my cousin was sick and I was trying to do this work unsupervised (which is obvusly a bad idea). We replaced both valves and put in the one seat and ground all of the valves. We removed that piston to make sure the ring land wasn't damaged and keeping the ring from moving and everything was OK with that. Me and my guys helped my cousin put it in the truck today and we should have it running tomorrow. I also bought an additional electric fan so we now have 2 to cool the motor as 1 fan was inadaquate. I'm a dumb ass.

Wow Steve. Sounds like it's been quite an ordeal. I don't think I'd have the patience to last through 6-8 months of truck repairs. I about lost it after 2 months and gave up. The good news is that your truck is all paid for and you know exactly what you got. I've got 5 years of big payments ahead of me.

Wow Steve. Sounds like it's been quite an ordeal. I don't think I'd have the patience to last through 6-8 months of truck repairs. I about lost it after 2 months and gave up. The good news is that your truck is all paid for and you know exactly what you got. I've got 5 years of big payments ahead of me.

I have only myself to blame is the trouble. When amateurs do these things, stuff like this happens.

Thanks everyone. I've got customers that have been waiting very patiently through this.

Don't beat yourself up, Steve. My experience with taking things to a shop to have a pro fix them has been so bad that I have been struggling to fix my own stuff for years.

Every time I sent something out to have it fixed and paid big money it came back half assed or screwed up. A JD 2240 went to the shop for a clutch-pilot bearing job. It cost $1000 in 1986. A year and a half later the clutch went out again. It was a loader tractor,which does get a lot of clutch abuse, but I just couldn't see spending another $1000. When I took it apart the problem was that the pilot bearing was supposed to be a press fit into the flywheel. It had siezed up and spun and worn the hole in the flywheel out. They used stud and bearing mount loctite to glue the new on in. Real professional huh. This was th JD dealer repair shop, not some shade tree mechanic!! I took the flywheel to a local machine shop and told the kid how I wanted it fixed. He bored it out and made a bushing to bring it down to stock bore. Along the OD of bushing and ID of flywheel he drilled and tapped 3 holed. He ran allen screws in from each side and tightened them against each other. The input tranny shaft also badly needed to be replaced. I don't know what the hell they did with the $1000 they charged but I used that tractor steady for 10 years and the clutch is still good.

Even pros make mistakes, take shortcuts, or half-assed slop through a job. At least you know what you have and didn't pay someone $80 an hour to scew it up.

Steve=I'm a dumb ass
A dumb ass is someone who doesn't learn. You had an expensive lesson which you learned from.
Frustrating, but you got it right in the end.
Now on to the next lesson :)

I gotta agree with Cobleskill on this one. I've also had crappy experiences with high dollar mechanics (see the thread where I got new fuel injectors on my old bucket truck). That one cost me 3 mechanics and $3500 to find out that the problem was a stuck checkvalve. But they also pulled out the high performance fuel injectors and replaced them with wimpy stock ones, which cost me about 30-40 horsepower (on a 225 hp motor).

With my pickup I'm lucky that I have a very good and honest mechanic. He gets top dollar but he's worth it because he's a perfectionist and will never charge me for something I don't need. For that I'll gladly pay him $80 per hour plus 50%-100% markup on parts. But with my big truck I'm not fortunate enough to have someone so trustworthy.

My cousin and I worked on it this afternoon. We have almost everything in. Another 2 to 3 hours tomorrow and we should be running.

We worked on it most of the day today. We were test running it and had an electrical problem. My cousin changed where he hooked up the fans and overloaded the wire. He hooked them up to the output of the 2 speed axle. Should have wired them to the battery wire coming from the alternator and wired the relays to a keyed post on the firewall. Oh well, I'm taking my Father to watch the tree climbing tomorrow in Elk Grove and my cousin said he will fix it manana.

Truck is functional again. My cousin fixed up the wiring stuff and we are good to go.

Hang on!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NncC2z5JELk"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NncC2z5JELk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Thanks guys. It's not like I was fishing for compliments or anything.:D Now I just need some cup holders.

welcome back to the road steve... Awesome job getting it running again. Wanna help put my 400 CI in the ford ??? LOL.. JK. Hey. We still need to have that beer, soon I hope... Maybe I get you to come up here in Sept at Bass Lake and have a day off...

Back