Truck engine problems WCV

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This should be the final chapter to this thread.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M0wimFmG2fw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M0wimFmG2fw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Can anyone spot the stumpgrinder tooth?

Looks good. At 5 seconds into the video you can see a loose nut and bolt on the fan shroud. Looks like it might become a projectile if it rattles out and drops into the fan. The truck sounds real smooth though. :)

Brian, I have noticed that bolt a few times myself. I think it held one of those little loops to fasten down electrical wires back on the 8.2 motor. I'll go out and tighten it up. One of the original problems with a belt driven fan was the fan drive I got from the donor motor stuck out way far and the radiator would have had to be about where the front bumper is now. We lost that fan drive and after several hours spent looking for it I gave up and bought another one. The one I bought was way shorter and allowed me to put the radiator just back from the grill. Plus there is supposed to be a spacer inbetween the fan drive and and the motor block which I left out and adapted (ground them wider with a portable grinder) the slots in the fan drive to accept 1/2" bolts from their original 7/16" bolts. The slots on the drive were the same width as the hole pattern in the block but were wide enough to accept a 7/16" bolt, and the threaded holes in the block were 1/2" course thread. I could then bolt the drive directly to the motor and this put the fan drive one belt width closer to the motor. Ther was a notch in the block where the belt tightening screw would push on the block and I use a stumpgrinder tooth to bridge that gap. All this enabled the radiator to be kept within the existing engine compartment, although pushed out to the limits. There is supposed to be a minimum clearance between the fan and radiator of 1" and I have about 2 inches. The shroud took a little modification as well, I welded some little stubs on the frame to hold it on the bottom and welded the original screw tabs onto the other side of the top radiator bracket to hold the shroud in the top. I also had to cut off about a inch of plastic in the lower part of the shroud to clear the fan and there is an extra big gap in the top and a few little gaps on the side, but it still seems to work OK. My only worry now is that the one fan belt runnng the fan will be used beyond it's strength, but there seems to be no problem so far.

I'd suggest buying an extra fan belt and sticking it in the glovebox if you haven't already. Glad the shorter fan drive worked out. :)

i drove a ford ln 8000 tractor,that had the frame stretched and the rig turned into an 18 ft chip bed truck
had a 10 spd air injected trans 3208 cat...it screamed..75 on the highway with a load and chipper
ran so good they bought another for the boom, but the only difference is a 6 spd trans, and 14 ft chip box
cat has a lot of power, better than detroit, imo

This rig hits the governor a little over 55 mph. But it gets there way faster than the old motor did. One thing I like about the Cat is that it starts immediately. I'll bet the starter only cranks it over a half a revolution or so. I hadn't thought about the spare belt Brian. I'll do that. I have one in my pickup, but not the truck. I didn't know if I was done changing things.

Steve, how do you get away with emmissions on that when they are shipping thousands o trucks out f california?

They haven't made me smog it yet. I just looked on the DMV website and it says there are no smogs required on diesels yet.

I did one last adjustment. I added a sheave to the water pump pulley and another belt to run the fan. I was told that the fan has full rpm load of 12 hp, and that a single belt of that size running that speed was good for a little less than 8 hp while still maintaining a good service factor. Everything was working OK, but this was pretty easy to do as I had the sheave from the other motor so I just had to bolt it on and go buy a belt. Maybe now I can quit obsessing.

Attachments

• truck 004 (Small).jpg
    truck 004 (Small).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 20
Back